Options

How to haggle in a used car show room

SplotSplot Posts: 600
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I am looking to buy a used car from a well known UK dealership. Can anyone offer me any tips to get a couple of hundred knocked off the price? I'm not normally a haggler but I'm assuming the prices quoted will be over the odds.

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do your research: identify a make/model, know it's true market value, identify where else a similar vehicle is available, with comparable specification, always go in towards the end of a financial quarter, as dealers have strict targets to hit, and be willing to include peripheral elements (warranties etc) in your negotiation. Don't be frightened, just treat the process as an interesting challenge, and when really in the heat of the negotiation, say as little as possible, to keep pressure on dealer. Only do the 'walk away' if you're actually willing to do a deal there and then, as it loses it's power if you fail to follow through.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I bought a car the other week it was remarkably easy, they gave me the bottom line cost to change and I said "take £2000 off that and we've got a deal right now" - I was aiming for about half that as that was a reasonable price to pay from my research. The salesman had a sharp intake of breath and said he's have to speak to his manager. I waited patiently and about 2 minutes later he was back with £1500 knocked off the ticket price and £200 added onto my part exchange. Result!
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    When I bought a car the other week it was remarkably easy, they gave me the bottom line cost to change and I said "take £2000 off that and we've got a deal right now" - I was aiming for about half that as that was a reasonable price to pay from my research. The salesman had a sharp intake of breath and said he's have to speak to his manager. I waited patiently and about 2 minutes later he was back with £1500 knocked off the ticket price and £200 added onto my part exchange. Result!

The sharp intake of breath and speaking to the manager are, of course, negotiating tactics in their own right :), Designed to convey the message that whatever the counter offer is, it's the absolute limit of how far they can go.i
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    The sharp intake of breath and speaking to the manager are, of course, negotiating tactics in their own right :), Designed to convey the message that whatever the counter offer is, it's the absolute limit of how far they can go.i
    I had that once, the sales chap having to go and consult with his manager. I gave him a minute, maybe a bit more then gestured to OH to get up and go as I was bored now. I knew he was watching through the mirrored window; within seconds he was out like a jack rabbit agreeing to the offer.

OP - ask for more than you'd expect to get and settle for a bit less, but be realistic , if you're buying something popular that they know they'll sell anyway you won't get much off. Have a read of How To Haggle, including the comments below the main article.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    The salesman had a sharp intake of breath and said he's have to speak to his manager.

Yep, as others have said, standard stuff. This has been said to me during the purchase of every single car I've ever bought!

One scrote I dealt with once tried to convince me that my car was an import, but that his manager said he'd give me the normal price they'd give for a non-import of the same make and model, as a gesture of goodwill to me provided I shook hands on the deal there and then. (Their offer was a grand less than I'd got elsewhere). How kind of them! My car was NOT an import by the way. Needless to say I never visited their dealership again.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Splot wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a used car from a well known UK dealership. Can anyone offer me any tips to get a couple of hundred knocked off the price? I'm not normally a haggler but I'm assuming the prices quoted will be over the odds.

It may be useful if you could supply a bit more specific info.

Is it a main dealer i.e. Ford, Vauxhall, BMW etc, or a National dealer like ‘Arnold Clark’ etc.

What make/model are you looking to purchase and what is your budget?

Are you trading-in a vehicle? make/model/value etc

Cash purchase or finance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    It may be useful if you could supply a bit more specific info.

Is it a main dealer i.e. Ford, Vauxhall, BMW etc, or a National dealer like ‘Arnold Clark’ etc.

What make/model are you looking to purchase and what is your budget?

Are you trading-in a vehicle? make/model/value etc

Cash purchase or finance?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a car on finance from Arnold Clark, something around the region of £3000 - it's a first car and I don't have much money.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a car on finance from Arnold Clark, something around the region of £3000 - it's a first car and I don't have much money.

at that price there isn't going to much room for negotiation really.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Arnold Clark normally have a voucher deal shortly. You negotiate your deal with the salesman first and then hand over the voucher for about £300 afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arnold Clark normally have a voucher deal shortly. You negotiate your deal with the salesman first and then hand over the voucher for about £300 afterwards.

I'm probably being really dense, but how does that work?
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I'm probably being really dense, but how does that work?

You keep the voucher in your pocket and present it after all the deal has been agreed. This means they can't add on the voucher value to the price that they would have offered you.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

Have a look at other large dealers as well.

I bought 2 cars recently; one was a Vauxhall Astra from a Ford main dealer that had been traded in against a new Ford focus. The other was a Volvo that had been traded-in against a new Volvo......that was from a Volvo main dealer.

Found them both through Autotrader. There will be plenty trade-in vehicles this month as the new ‘64’ car reg started on September 1st.

I had a look at several vehicles at a couple of Arnold Clark sites and although the cars were fine the prices seemed significantly higher than many other places.

Maybe they inflate their initial prices quite a lot so they can give you a ‘really good deal’ when you start negotiating.

If the car you are interested in is older than 3 years the MOT history can be checked very easily.

The MOT information (current and historic) can be very enlightening and may give you more leverage when it comes to haggling!

Ask the dealer to give the most recent MOT certificate number, or V5C registration certificate and the car registration number. It’s a free service.

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/interne...ry-Request.jsp

Have a look at the ALL the previous MOT history to check the current mileage looks genuine; you can also view any MOT failures, ‘reasons’ and any ‘advisories’ that were noted at the time.

Don’t take ANYTHING that a car salesman says at face value. Most are honest and reputable but some not so much.

Double check everything and verify all documentation before parting with any cash. Insist on a HPI check (at their expense) if one is not forthcoming.

Have a look at these links; you may find them useful........forewarned is forearmed!

https://www.hpicheck.com/hpi_check_about.html?source=webgains&siteid=54264&utm_medium=hpiwebgains

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=127X1068766&site=forums.digitalspy.co.uk&xs=1&isjs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpicheck.com%2Fstatics%2Ftsibooklet.pdf&xguid=539ef3ac7ef67aa9899242b8c00928b2&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.digitalspy.co.uk%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1979499%26highlight%3D&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.digitalspy.co.uk%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D9913755%26pp%3D25%26page%3D9&xtz=-60&abp=1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just come out with it and say for example:

"I have only this much to spend".

or " "What's your best price for that vehicle?"

or Find faults with the car and tell them what you're prepared to pay for it.

Always ask for a bigger discount than that you would be happy with, so if you were happy with a £250 discount then ask for £500 off and they'll more than likely negotiate £250 off.

Don't be scared to offer them less for the car, it's done all of the time.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Refuse offer of a hot drink whilst you're chatting/negotiating.... it'll be scalding hot and take 20 minutes to cool down - it's their way of sort of chaining you into the room and subtly distracting you whilst you're thinking about not spilling it or burning yourself.
    Don't go anywhere near the place until you 100% know what precise car you want (model, year, CC, specification, EVERYTHING) and what sort of price they go for. I imagine all their stock is listed on their websites so you can browse to your heart's content at home before venturing in. Lastly. Pretty sure they can get stock delivered from their other showrooms so don't be put off if the one you want is not in your local outlet.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you go to somewhere like motorpoint, you will struggle to get any reduction, I think - although their prices do seem keen. The trade-ins aren't great though. Get a deal and they will give you a couple of weeks to sell privately, though.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work for a car dealership and it's interesting seeing deals being made from the "other side" as opposed to being a customer. What I will say is this - be honest abd say what you have/what you can pay etc, they want the deal so they will do all they can to help. Also bear in mind the 64 plate came out only afew weeks ago so you should get good deals on older cars, many places do special offers throughout September to drum up trade. Good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All very good advice, thank you.