Options

Love film instant, no tv shows?

Hey! I joined love film and I'm using their inductory free offer at the moment. I am using it through my lg smart tv. When I search for something I can never find any good tv shows to stream, do they really not have that many? Like lost etc.

Also they don't have recent films instantly for streaming, like the inbetweeners movie. Am I doing something wrong with it??

I really wanted to use Netflix, but I don't think it works on my lg smart tv, can't find the app for it?

Live in UK btw.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost left love film at the end of May as Netflix now have it
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also they don't have recent films instantly for streaming, like the inbetweeners movie. Am I doing something wrong with it??

You're not doing anything wrong. Lovefilm and Netflix won't have anything recent, mainly due to licensing issues.

The most recent films you'll likely get are from around 3 years ago on average.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Lovefilm have "Hope And Faith". Annoyingly only series 1 and 3.
  • Options
    EbanEban Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    The most recent films you'll likely get are from around 3 years ago on average.

Not entirely true, depends on what Netflix service you subscribe too.
    I have a Netflix US subscription and there is a lot of recent content and I'm very pleased with it. I also love being able to watch some older shows like Sleeper Cell, Jericho even 24 etc...

BUT, bubbles2011 said he couldn't find "any good tv shows to stream", on that statement, I would answer it's a matter of taste. He didn't say what a good show is for him :)

-Eban
  • Options
    thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    For me netflix has the better selection of TV shows to stream including:

Lost
    Jericho
    Dexter
    Breaking Bad
    The Office US
    Prison Break
    Always Sunny in Philiy
    Rescue Me

and that's just of the top of my head. They have just today got Sons of Anarchy series 1, 2 and 3

Netflix and LoveFilm won't get TV until they are on, or about to be released on DVD. The latest series of Breaking Bad and Rescue Me weren't shown on UK TV but are on Netflix, itunes and DVD, or at least I think resuce me is all now on DVD in the UK.

Even if you have a US subscription you will have to wait until the series/season has finished airing in the US before you can watch it on Netflix, usually until it is on DVD. Unlike iTunes and Amazon VOD who get episodes the day after they air on TV. It's all down to licensing :D
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is worth noting that the lovefilm instant service available on one device, isn't necessarily the same as you get on another i.e. the number of programmes available on 'smart' tvs, bluray players etc seems to be very limited compared to the 'full' service available on consoles (like PS3, X Box 360) or the PC.

I found this out when setting up lovefilm instant on my Sony BDPS370 Bluray player and found that only a fraction of the same content available.

So if you have access to a PC (or other device like a console) I would try accessing it from there, you might find a lot of stuff you never even knew lovefilm had, plus PCs (and the 360 at least) can access the new HD content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thetvking wrote: »

Even if you have a US subscription you will have to wait until the series/season has finished airing in the US before you can watch it on Netflix, usually until it is on DVD. Unlike iTunes and Amazon VOD who get episodes the day after they air on TV. It's all down to licensing :D

You can't compare Netflix to the other services you mention. One is 8 bucks a month, others offer one episode for $2.
    In many case we have to wait for the show to be aired before it can be available on Netflix but since they started to produce and buy exclusive shows, things will change a bit (House Of Cards, Arrested Development etc...).

Netflix US also offer more recent shows like The Killing, Nikita, Pretty Little Liars, The Walking Dead and many others...

It's all about tastes then :)

-Eban
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne814 wrote: »
    Lost left love film at the end of May as Netflix now have it

It's still on lovefilm as well.
  • Options
    thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Eban wrote: »
    You can't compare Netflix to the other services you mention. One is 8 bucks a month, others offer one episode for $2.
    In many case we have to wait for the show to be aired before it can be available on Netflix but since they started to produce and buy exclusive shows, things will change a bit (House Of Cards, Arrested Development etc...).

Netflix US also offer more recent shows like The Killing, Nikita, Pretty Little Liars, The Walking Dead and many others...

It's all about tastes then :)

-Eban

I have to disagree, of course we can compare subscription services such as Netflix and LoveFilm with the pay and go options such as itunes, blinkbox, vudu and Amazon. Both provide legal options to watch TV/Film via the interent. Much like you can compare using the bus vs car. They are both modes of transport are they not?

In the US you have Netflix and HuluPlus for high consumption users. But some people don't watch lots of TV/Films online and as a result the pay as you go services offer a great alternative. Also giving you access to early on and allowing you to download it like itunes. After all if you stop paying for Netflix you have nothing left and Netflix agreements will expire from time to time so so can't be reliant on them have all the content forever.

A big problem for me in the UK is Netflix and LoveFilm are acting like TV networks. Each one trying to secure exclusive content, resulting in people being frustrated and many using both services. Instead of a source for online streaming much like a website selling DVD's. You wouldn't expect large numbers of DVDs to be exclusive to Amazon, Play or HMV.

Netflix have also only been in the UK for about 6 months, in which time they have added quite a bit of content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thetvking wrote: »
    I have to disagree, of course we can compare subscription services such as Netflix and LoveFilm with the pay and go options such as itunes, blinkbox, vudu and Amazon. Both provide legal options to watch TV/Film via the interent. Much like you can compare using the bus vs car. They are both modes of transport are they not?

In the US you have Netflix and HuluPlus for high consumption users. But some people don't watch lots of TV/Films online and as a result the pay as you go services offer a great alternative. Also giving you access to early on and allowing you to download it like itunes. After all if you stop paying for Netflix you have nothing left and Netflix agreements will expire from time to time so so can't be reliant on them have all the content forever.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.
    Netflix & Hulu offer renting.
    iTunes, Amazon, Vudu offer you to rent AND buy things.

You can't put them all in the same basket since they don't offer the exact same thing.
    Also, iTunes doesn't let you buy TV Shows, you only can rent them for $2.99/episode against $7.99/month on Netflix.

In terms of movies, it's pretty much the same, you only can stream movies on Netflix.
    iTunes, Amazon, Vudu let you buy movies (in addition to their renting offer).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one solution is better than the other, like you said, it depends of what you're looking for. I have my US Netflix subscription since February 2011 but I also found myself renting some movies on iTunes (US).

That said, Hulu Plus became a big joke. They have less and less shows available in their "Plus" subscription, and now you need a US cable subscription to have access to the episodes 24hrs after they have been aired.

Netflix is for me a great deal, but things can change, since Amazon, Hulu and Netflix have began to produce their own shows ;)

-Eban
  • Options
    cjaz99cjaz99 Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    For some reason the Lovefilm Xbox 360 app (and others?) doesn't allow easy access to the TV programmes. Searching by actor/actress name gets you to them but the cataloging of TV programmes seems non-existent.

Lovefilm have just added a bunch of Fox stuff on July 1st. The list below is directly from Lovefilm's TV collections page but is slightly out-of-date (I've added the latest titles in bold).

List of TV series on Lovefilm at the moment:

Angel
    Prison Break
    Beautiful People
    The Killing (Danish original not US)
    Astro Boy
    Jackie Chan Adventures
    Transformers - Beast Machines Season 2

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (oddly only the first 12 eps at the mo).
    Firefly
    Dollhouse
    FlashForward
    My So-Called Life
    Dirty Sexy Money
    Lie to Me
    Lost (HD)
    Brothers & Sisters (HD)
    Ghost Whisperer (HD)
    Beautiful Planet (HD)
    Human Planet (HD)
    Planet Earth (HD)