Options

Is Sabrina the most succesful female comic book character?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    nainz wrote: »
    Brenda Starr had a certain following.

Starr mainly appeared in newspaper strips rather than comic books, though (as did
    Modesty Blaise, another long-running back-of-the-paper heroine).
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Storm? She was a very central figure in X-Men comics throughout the 90s, wasn't she team leader then for a bit? and the X-Men were at their peak of popularity at that point.

She's also been a team member since the 70s, and has been in 3 or 4 animated X-Men series (off the top of my head, the 90s Animated Series, X-Men Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men and the X-Men anime series), and a prominent character in the first three films.

I'd say she's up there with Wonder Woman on recognition, especially with her striking design. Also potentially Lois Lane, Lois had her own comic series for a bit, didn't she? as well as multiple Superman movies and the 90s TV show.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'd say she's up there with Wonder Woman on recognition, especially with her striking design. Also potentially Lois Lane, Lois had her own comic series for a bit, didn't she? as well as multiple Superman movies and the 90s TV show.

Storm seems to be the only non-Wolverine X-Person that non-comics fans
    recognise, so I'd agree with you.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josie and the pussycats have got one over on Sabrina...she never made an album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Red Sonja has had a fairly successful run....she's been slashing bad guys since
    the 1970s for several publishing companies, as well as getting several prose novels, a TV
    appearance (in 1997's "Conan" TV show) and a (terrible) Hollywood film.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    If we accept the premise that the comic character doesn't have to be the protagonist (which I guess we already covered with Barbara Gordon), then there's also Mary Jane Watson. Some version of her has been in every Spider-Man project, in every medium, as far as I can recall every single time. So her "profile" in number of outlets (if not screentime or top billing) is pretty much identical to Spider-Man's.

EDIT - Wait. I forgot. She was deliberately excised from the last Spider-Man movie reboot in favor of Gwen Stacy (who's in a lot of Spidey versions in some form but not as many as Mary Jane).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kromm wrote: »
    If we accept the premise that the comic character doesn't have to be the protagonist (which I guess we already covered with Barbara Gordon), then there's also Mary Jane Watson. Some version of her has been in every Spider-Man project, in every medium, as far as I can recall every single time. So her "profile" in number of outlets (if not screentime or top billing) is pretty much identical to Spider-Man's.

EDIT - Wait. I forgot. She was deliberately excised from the last Spider-Man movie reboot in favor of Gwen Stacy (who's in a lot of Spidey versions in some form but not as many as Mary Jane).

And there's also Lois Lane, who was been in nearly all the Superman comics
    and other adaptations- (only exceptions I can think of are the Superboy stories). She's
    also been around a few decades more than MJ.

Also, Buck Rogers last appeared in a comic two years ago (the Howard Chaykin one), along with his GF Wilma Deering. Miss Deering has been appearing in comic strips and comic books since 1929! :)
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    That's not the Baby Bash one, is it?

Nope, way back in '69 "The Archies" had a song "Sugar Sugar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o

Don't know if the link works 'cos Work block Youtube
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dave2702 wrote: »
    Nope, way back in '69 "The Archies" had a song "Sugar Sugar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o

Don't know if the link works 'cos Work block Youtube

That's not a bad tune, even if Denis Leary did a hilarious skit about how
    much he hated it. ;-)
    JCR wrote: »
    It's entirely subjective, but the unlikely answer could well be Harley Quinn currently; her comic is the best selling female led one and she presumably is a major part of the Suicide Squad movie.

You might find this link interesting:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/harley-quinn-dc-comics-suicide-squad.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about "Blondie"? She and Dagwood have been appearing in comic strips for an
    incredible 86 years, plus she's appeared in comic books from the 1940s on. She also
    has had several films, TV shows and radio series about her.