Upgrading sat nav software

gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to Navman I'm due to receive my free 2009 map update probably next week sometime. Its an S30 3D if i mind right.

What I'm wondering. If anyone has previous experience of these things. Is the software update unique to my unit ? The reason I ask is that my brother has the exact same model, although he wont be getting the free upgrade. do you think it will be possible for me to share this with him or like i wonder, will it be unique to my own device ??

Comments

• nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    It won't be a software upgrade, only the maps. Maps are the same for everyone... given that the country is the same for everyone.

It's possible that you can use the new maps on both. It's also possible that they have made sure this cannot be done.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    According to Navman I'm due to receive my free 2009 map update probably next week sometime. Its an S30 3D if i mind right.

What I'm wondering. If anyone has previous experience of these things. Is the software update unique to my unit ? The reason I ask is that my brother has the exact same model, although he wont be getting the free upgrade. do you think it will be possible for me to share this with him or like i wonder, will it be unique to my own device ??

Maps are usually tied to the device that they are installed on, there are methods of getting around this but no legal ones.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, meant maps, but thanks both of you.

I probably knew at the back of my mind I wouldnt be able to share it. That would mean all the map packs would end up on torrent sites I guess. I'll see how it works whenever (if ever) I get it.
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I have an F series, bought it 2 years ago. How did you get a free upgrade for your S series has mine is about £45?

When you get the upgrade, it should be on a CD/DVD. You will then need to either use a USB cable to copy & install, or you can copy to a SD card - this should mean that you can copy from the DVD to a card and then install on others in theory.

Let us know if this works. All the updates should be in .map format if I'm right, so in theory they should be compatible with any model but I assume like someone else said that they prevent this someway.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i bought my S series (just before xmas) there was a deal whereby if you registered you got the 2009 maps for free when they were available.

this was the link, but you can see its done now. http://futureproof.navman.com/index.php