Nokia Lumia 620

deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Nice Phone, at last we are starting to get some cheaper Windows Phone 8, phones announced. If it was £150.00 that's not bad compared to the HTC 8S at £225.00.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/nokia-lumia-620-is-most-colourful-windows-phone-yet-50009912/
The Lumia 620 sports a 3.8-inch screen with a resolution of 480x800, giving you a very respectable 246 pixels per inch. There's a 5-megapixel camera on the back and a front-facing camera for video calls.

Doing the grunt work is a dual-core Snapdragon S4 1GHz processor with an unimpressive 512MB of RAM. There's 8GB of storage for your music, movies and apps, but happily you can add up to 64GB with a microSD card.

Powered by Windows Phone 8, the little brother to the Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 includes a customisable home screen with resizing live tiles, as well as the City Lens augmented reality app and Cinemagraph and Smart Shoot camera features.

The phone comes in an array of pretty colours, including lime green, yellow and pink. Nokia offers interchangeable shells to change the look of your 620, including orange, green, turquoise and white. They come in matte or shiny finishes, and some are semi-translucent, so you can put different coloured shells on different coloured phones to create a rainbow of colour effects.

UK price has yet to be confirmed, but the new Nokia is expected to cost around $240 (£150) in the US. It goes on sale in Asia, the Middle East and Africa in January, to arrive in Europe "quickly" after that.

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is that this is a budget phone with specs better than Lumia 800 that used to be the top range. Very nice.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the price will be higher, once V.A.T. is factored in to the pricing.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knew there would be a budget WP8 phone out as it was clearly missing from the range.

More pics and video here:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/nokia-lumia-620/
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it'll be cheap for a Windows Phone but on the grand scheme of things it'll be a long way of your Huawei's and ZTE's of this world, Windows phone 8 needs something in the £100-£150 price bracket, this won't be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Funny thing is that this is a budget phone with specs better than Lumia 800 that used to be the top range. Very nice.

Which specs are better ? The processor is dual core and most other things are either the same or worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »
    Which specs are better ? The processor is dual core and most other things are either the same or worse.

Processor, SD slot. Display, RAM is the same. Those are the things I care about.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »

It runs WP8 which the L800 will not.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect the price will be higher, once V.A.T. is factored in to the pricing.

I would expect it to be about £200 inc VAT. So its unlikely to have much of an impact on the low budget part of the market. They should be aiming for £100 like the Huawei Ascend G300.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why are some vendors offering the 620 for £150.00 and others £300.00 on PAYG. Can some one explain why I would pay £300.00 for this phone?

http://www.comparemobiledeals.com/mobile-phones/Nokia/Lumia-620?tab=Pay-As-You-Go
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further info, I believe o2 are gonna be selling for £119 on thursday this week, for one day only !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Its actually on sale for £119 for today (Wednesday) only in store and online : https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/nokia/lumia-620/?cm_mmc=FacebookPaid-_-LITL-_-Winner-_-post_120212

Bargain of the week!!! , if I didn't have an 820 get one myself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its actually on sale for £119 for today (Wednesday) only in store and online : https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/nokia/lumia-620/?cm_mmc=FacebookPaid-_-LITL-_-Winner-_-post_120212

Bargain of the week!!! , if I didn't have an 820 get one myself!

It's a steal for the money. If I didn't have 920, I'd seriously consider it. It looks nice and has an SD slot, too.
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Wow, super phone for the money. Shame i just got an 820.
  • TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello

I bought the Nokia Lumia 620 today. I've tried finding out how to lock the phone with a pincode like I have done with all my other phones but I can't find how to do it? Is it not possible to lock these kind of phones? At the moment there is no SIM card in the phone.

Thanks.
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    Hello

I bought the Nokia Lumia 620 today. I've tried finding out how to lock the phone with a pincode like I have done with all my other phones but I can't find how to do it? Is it not possible to lock these kind of phones? At the moment there is no SIM card in the phone.

Thanks.

Settings > Lock Screen > Password (Right at the bottom)

(Assume it's the same as my Lumia 920)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    There is also a separate SIM PIN which it asks for if and when you reboot the phone:-

Phone -> Options -> Settings -> SIM Security

(assuming it is the same as my 820)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minardi wrote: »
    Settings > Lock Screen > Password (Right at the bottom)

(Assume it's the same as my Lumia 920)

Thanks. That works if I want to unlock the screen after a period of inactivity but I was hoping to find a code that has to be entered when the phone is switched on.
    gomezz wrote: »
    There is also a separate SIM PIN which it asks for if and when you reboot the phone:-

Phone -> Options -> Settings -> SIM Security

(assuming it is the same as my 820)

I couldn't find 'SIM Security' on the phone. Maybe there has to be a SIM card inserted for that to appear.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    I would think so (you need to scroll to the bottom of the Settings screen). But on my 820 when I switch it on it asks first for the SIM PIN I have set and then asks for the Lock Screen PIN. Are you saying it is not asking for the Lock Screen PIN when you first switch it on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I would think so (you need to scroll to the bottom of the Settings screen). But on my 820 when I switch it on it asks first for the SIM PIN I have set and then asks for the Lock Screen PIN. Are you saying it is not asking for the Lock Screen PIN when you first switch it on?

Problem solved. At first I didn't switch off the phone after activating the screen lock but after your last reply I gave it a try and the phone does indeed ask for a PIN to unlock the screen.
    Thank you.
  • CrazySingerGalCrazySingerGal Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I've been having problems with my Nokia Lumia 620 recently to the point where I wish I hadn't got it. Ever since i got my very first phone about 15 years ago they have always been Nokia as they are so simple to use so when it was time for my upgrade almost a year ago I was pleased by the the new nokia range but i'm not now as they have simplified it to the point of being useless.

The problem i've been having is that the power, auto reset, volume and camera buttons are no longer working and I need to send it to be repaired but i'm reluctant to do this until necessary info is backed up. I've managed this with my contacts and photos but I really want to back up my text messages as there are some i want to keep as they mean a lot to me.

When I go to the settings and then back up it says back up is on and is saved to the cloud. I realised that the cloud is skydrive and outlook but nowhere on either can I find them and according to online support forums it's a hidden setting and the restore will happen when I collect my phone but this isn't good enough for me as I want to see where it is...

I have also tried downloading Nokia pc Suite and Nokia Suite as well as Zune. I know that Nokia suite works because I managed to back up the info from my old C7 phone including texts but i just can't with my Lumia 620. Does anyone have any ideas or tips or anything at all that might be of help please? Thanks very much.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are correct, you can't see them online anywhere but they will restore to the phone.

I had an HTC 8X windows 8 phone with the backup setting enabled. It got stolen when I was mugged. I then bought a Nokia Lumia 920 and the text messages re-appeared on there auto-magically.

In fact, initially my phone had trouble syncing with my account because there was oodles of data to pull back on there but it was alright after a night on the WiFi.
  • CrazySingerGalCrazySingerGal Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Thank you - the shop also reassured me that my texts would be restored. I have now sent it off to be repaired as it was driving me crazy and I couldn't carry on like that. I have briefly revived my C7 nokia and I should get my phone back on the 27th December all being well.