EE to Offer Visual Voicemail..?

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    You may find that people "stalk" you because you have unwavering support for O2 in the face of facts and evidence. Things like criticising the 4G decision for EE, but not the 3G decision for O2 that has most of the same attributes (re-use of existing cheap spectrum for a new service that will put the network at a competitive advantage).

There can be no excuse for 'stalking' and continually personlaising threads when it has been clearly intimated that a user has been placed on ignore.

As for the frequency reuse its already been widely stated that 900MHz refarming has limited impact due to the small amounts that can be released as GSM remains a huge commitment. The merger of T-Mobile and Orange has created a huge network that had so much extra spectrum they had to divest some of it. They still have sufficient to launch a service with a much greater efficiency for data than others can for over a year. That is the difference! Refarming 900MHz only provided more of the same but rearming 1800MHz for LTE gives one network a clear advantage with new technology. Like everything else the devil is in the detail and whilst both are refarming they result in quite different products in the marketplace. As for the cheap spectrum, that won't be for much longer as Ofcom have advised they intend to increase licence costs for 900MHz spectrum soon.

Back on topic, the video voicemail product has been around for many years and it has never really captured the interest of customers. I suspect most are quite happy to leave a voice mail, hang up and have a missed call displayed or text. There are too many less complex alternatives to video voicemail to make it attractive.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    So is video voicemail the same as three's videomail? Or a superset of it?

http://blog.nealandassociates.co.uk/2010/03/12/activate-visual-voicemail-on-o2/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah... this is a menu based voicemail system. I thought it was a video voicemail product.

It's an OK idea for small businesses who get lots of voicemail messages perhaps but won't make much difference to the average consumer who only gets a few a week. Interesting to learn that O2 have had this available on the iPhone for some time.

Here's the definition and an explanation about visual voicemail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_voicemail
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There can be no excuse for 'stalking' and continually personlaising threads when it has been clearly intimated that a user has been placed on ignore.

I don't think replying to correct or disagree with another user is 'stalking'.

Quoting previous quotes from a user vs new quotes where the opposite is being said and highlighting it isn't personalising threads.

And finally just because you decide to ignore a poster doesn't mean a poster can't post in reply and challenge or debate the thread. Ignore is a personal thing to you, it's not the ignore this poster and from now on anything I say it right and should not be challenged or debated button.

I can see the appeal of such a button, when the user tries to click reply it says "sorry the author of this post has decided it is definitive and cannot be challenged".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is this visual voicemail unique to iPhone?
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah... this is a menu based voicemail system. I thought it was a video voicemail product.

It's an OK idea for small businesses who get lots of voicemail messages perhaps but won't make much difference to the average consumer who only gets a few a week. Interesting to learn that O2 have had this available on the iPhone for some time.

Here's the definition and an explanation about visual voicemail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_voicemail

O2 were pretty much forced to by Apple when they got the exclusive contract in the early days. Apple didn't want to be advertising a feature that people couldn't use.

Since that contract ended though Apple realised they preferred the money over forcing the networks to support certain features to be able to sell the iPhone.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

It's probably a completely proprietary system.

Which makes you wonder what kind of hardware and OS it is hosted on. They haven't made Xserves for a while and no one should seriously consider a Mac Pro or Mac Mini as a server, so does Apple make something that runs on UNIX/Linux on a PC server?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

nope; well THEIR version is, but as people have said, you can get it on Android with Hullomail.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hullomail.messaging.android
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    nope; well THEIR version is, but as people have said, you can get it on Android with Hullomail.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hullomail.messaging.android

There are also several other implementations of it.

Some networks in other countries make their own Apps that you can download for different devices and use.
    Helix wrote: »
    O2 were pretty much forced to by Apple when they got the exclusive contract in the early days. Apple didn't want to be advertising a feature that people couldn't use.

Since that contract ended though Apple realised they preferred the money over forcing the networks to support certain features to be able to sell the iPhone.

That is indeed correct.
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for the frequency reuse its already been widely stated that 900MHz refarming has limited impact due to the small amounts that can be released as GSM remains a huge commitment. The merger of T-Mobile and Orange has created a huge network that had so much extra spectrum they had to divest some of it. They still have sufficient to launch a service with a much greater efficiency for data than others can for over a year. That is the difference! Refarming 900MHz only provided more of the same but rearming 1800MHz for LTE gives one network a clear advantage with new technology. Like everything else the devil is in the detail and whilst both are refarming they result in quite different products in the marketplace. As for the cheap spectrum, that won't be for much longer as Ofcom have advised they intend to increase licence costs for 900MHz spectrum soon.

Back on topic, the video voicemail product has been around for many years and it has never really captured the interest of customers. I suspect most are quite happy to leave a voice mail, hang up and have a missed call displayed or text. There are too many less complex alternatives to video voicemail to make it attractive.

Wave, I agree entirely. EE have an unfair advantage. Ofcom need to level this playing field. See my topic iPhone5 and O2... I get the same back about how bad O2 are.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    So is video voicemail the same as three's videomail? Or a superset of it?
    VVM is the proper native voicemail app on the iPhone. Apple trumpeted it a lot when they first introduced the iPhone. Sadly in the UK only O2 (who originally had a monopoly on the iPhone) implemented it. When I lived in France I used it on my Orange (France Telecom) iPhone when I returned to the UK I was very surprised & disappointed that it wasn't available on Three. In some ways HulloMail is better e.g. it ends you an email with the voicemail as an attachment but sadly it's not as reliable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    Wave, I agree entirely. EE have an unfair advantage. Ofcom need to level this playing field. See my topic iPhone5 and O2... I get the same back about how bad O2 are.

Tell me about it. The same anti O2 nonsense gets posted in threads nothing to do with the network simply because certain others appear and make a contribution.

Funny though that on this occassion it has been highlighted that O2 have had this feature on their iPhones for some years! That does not change my opinion that it is not much of a feature for the average user but it's comical in a way considering the comments made about how wonderful it will be when it appears on EE and how we'll all be saying how good it is when O2 launch it in 18 months!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was referring to your 4G comments from page 1 about 4G "but in reality other than being able to impress others with speedtests it'll be mostly academic!", not visual voicemail, we know O2 have had that for years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I get less and less calls and more texts and use my phone more for data these days.

I get very few voicemails.
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for when it does come out. Wll be a handy feature.
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I not see that it was the 16th it was being launched?

A post or two appears to have been removed.
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I posted it not sure if I should have but what the hell.

Ee visual voice mail is launching on the 16th of Jan. And will be available to orange ee and tmobile customers. To activate you have to text "iPhone visual" to 150 on the launch date.

As heard from ee technical team. (Not sure if they were ment to say so keep it hush hush ;) ).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thanks for the info anyway, it ties in with what was said last year "first few weeks of the year"
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is visual voicemail still expected tomorrow? Still no official word on it and the @EE twitter people are still saying coming soon or early 2013.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I can't see whay anyone wouldn't use VV especially if it's free. I personally would love it running a business as a sole trader. I often end up with 10 messages at the end of a busy day and having to dial in and wait for the voice prompts is a pain, not to mention the fact that you have to go through them in strict order. Orange/EE (don't know about Tmob) let you skip to the next one by pressing 8 but it's sooo slow.
    When I can view them like text messages and play them in any order It'll be great. I think they cache on the handset too so you can listen to them offline as well. Excellent!
    I'll try to find out the exact date.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    When I can view them like text messages and play them in any order It'll be great. .

HulloMail does speech to text conversion, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Forum Member
    Visual Voicemail will be launching Tomorrow on EE4G.
    Free on all Plans.

Next week on Orange (Maybe that's the 21st date I’ve been bandying about but don't hold me to that).
    On Orange it'll be free on all Plans of £36 or more (I said £41 originally, I obviously can't read).
    £1 per month for all Orange plans less than £36.

I said originally that T-Mobile would be the spring but it turns out there are no plans for T-Mobile yet.

The words "bomb" and "shell" spring to mind.
    I hope for the sake of T-Mobile users, I'm wrong!
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Free on all Plans.

Yet another freebie for me on EE. Since I have moved from the equivalent Orange plan (£31 pm) I am spending a lot less on EE per month on average for a variety of reasons
    Forum Member
    Good init! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free on all Plans.

Next week on Orange (Maybe that's the 21st date I’ve been bandying about but don't hold me to that).
    On Orange it'll be free on all Plans of £36 or more (I said £41 originally, I obviously can't read).
    £1 per month for all Orange plans less than £36.

I said originally that T-Mobile would be the spring but it turns out there are no plans for T-Mobile yet.

The words "bomb" and "shell" spring to mind.
    I hope for the sake of T-Mobile users, I'm wrong!

I thought I remember reading last year when the rumours started that VV wouldn't be on T-mobile until the platform was migrated to the Orange / EE system.

Will be interesting to know if this is only VV for iphone or for any VV compatible handset, as they have been saying for two years it's coming soon for Blackberry (it's already builtin to the 7.1 os)