Has 1D surpassed Leona yet?

124»

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    I'm in agreement with you here - I don't think people realised the magnitude on what Leona did in that short space of time - it's a shame that her Glassheart album did not sell well :(

I don't think they do. I would actually say with confidence, that if it wasn't for Leona's success, 1D may never have existed.

Simon has made no secret of saying that he was getting bored of the show and was considering ending it in the near future, until Leona dramatically changed his view on what the show was capable of doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    JB92 wrote: »
    I think that will definitely happen, but I think they've got at least another 2/3 albums in them after this one. The thing is, I think they're more popular in the US than in the UK.

I agree. They may not be as successful than Leona is in the UK, but they are far bigger than she ever was in the US.
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Sorry, but do you have a source for that?

Not being funny but I find it hard to believe that Echo and Glassheart each sold around 5 million, especially Glassheart that didn't pass 100k in the UK.
    The only source I know of is every time she is announced on TV shows they mention she has sold 20 million albums. It may be inflated but I don't really care that much tbh. 1D could outsell Leona tomorrow and they still couldn't lace her boots in my opinion.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I don't think they do. I would actually say with confidence, that if it wasn't for Leona's success, 1D may never have existed.

Simon has made no secret of saying that he was getting bored of the show and was considering ending it in the near future, until Leona dramatically changed his view on what the show was capable of doing.

Exactly! It was Leona who actually put XF Uk on the map (not to be too biased being a loyal LeLe fan) and she paved way for the successes of 1D, Cher, JLS, Alex, Olly Murs etc
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    Exactly! It was Leona that actually put XF Uk on the map (not to be too biased being a loyal LeLe fan) and she paved way for the successes of 1D, Cher, JLS, Alex, Olly Murs etc

Well every successful X Factor act after Leona has her to thank for the format they found success on. Simon was thinking that the show couldn't find a star until Leona.

I think he thought she may have been a one-off during XF4 though, as Leon was dire and the show in general was terrible during that season. Alexandra was the one who cemented what Leona had made possible, and the show continued from there.

But yeah, if Leona hadn't been a success, the show may have ended long ago.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Well every successful X Factor act after Leona has her to thank for the format they found success on. Simon was thinking that the show couldn't find a star until Leona.

I think he thought she may have been a one-off during XF4 though, as Leon was dire and the show in general was terrible during that season. Alexandra was the one who cemented what Leona had made possible, and the show continued from there.

But yeah, if Leona hadn't been a success, the show may have ended long ago.

It would have ended in 2007 I reckon....that Leon Jackson was terrible and dull :yawn:
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have definitely surpasses her in terms of sales worldwide, I think I read they have sold around 30 million records, whereas Leona has estimated to have sold around 25 million records, though The Guardian said she had sold over 28 million, but I don't think that is quite right.

End of the day, they have both achieved a lot and it isn't surprising One Direction have sold more worldwide, they appeal to teenagers and younger.

Leona has still sold more than them in the UK though, so for me what Leona has done is more impressive than what One Direction have managed.