Options

The Thick Of It - new series

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    And it's not like he's a particularly progressive Conservative. From the way he sneers at all around, it looks like he would have been much happier back in the eighties, when ministers didn't have to pretend to care all the time.

which is funny considering when he was introduced, he had a line about him actually being more progressive than "the party" ("i say 'black' instead of 'coloured', i think immigration is a good thing..." etc) :)

i still think this series has a way to go before it reaches the same standards as the previous ones, but judging by the last episode, it's getting there. i do miss the sniping between glenn/ollie/terri!
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    which is funny considering when he was introduced, he had a line about him actually being more progressive than "the party" ("i say 'black' instead of 'coloured', i think immigration is a good thing..." etc) :)

i still think this series has a way to go before it reaches the same standards as the previous ones, but judging by the last episode, it's getting there. i do miss the sniping between glenn/ollie/terri!

"I think women are a good thing"! :D:D:D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

viciously funny ep
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on form tonight.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Nicola Murray!

And every time I see Dan Miller, I just think of My Parents Are Aliens.
  • Options
    IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    Poor Nicola Murray!

And every time I see Dan Miller, I just think of My Parents Are Aliens.

Hahaha, same here. I can't take him seriously as a politician at all. :D

Great episode. The balloon at the end was a brilliant touch.
  • Options
    stitcherjennystitcherjenny Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Brilliant episode!
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode again. This show rarely fails to deliver.
  • Options
    John_TraynorJohn_Traynor Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Outstanding episode. The pace was so fast my brain felt like it was being chased around. :D
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I felt it was less laugh out loud funny tonight but it certainly was a strong episode in terms of the storyline and very enjoyable.

It was a joy to see Malcolm back to his devious best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way does anyone know why there isnt an episode listed for next Saturday?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Ollie's postcard at the end "Congratulation's on your first confirmed kill."

Malcolm grooming his replacment maybe?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many good lines in that one, needs a 2 rewatches. Liked the bit at the beginning: "Get me a cattle gun, this is going to be messy".
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a brilliant episode. The way all the events unfolded in 3 places, the train, the hospital and the office, with Malcolm engineering the whole thing, was very clever.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obvious point but Dan Miller = David Miliband.
  • Options
    Shinny04Shinny04 Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    By the way does anyone know why there isnt an episode listed for next Saturday?

It's been pulled for a Beatles tribute show next week. But it'll be back in two weeks time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obvious point but Dan Miller = David Miliband.
    Has he got a brother in politics then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Has he got a brother in politics then?

Nicola was Ed. Making them related in the show would probably have been a bit too obvious.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode was brilliant!
    Poor Nicola. I hope this does not mean we will not see her again. And I hope the backstabbing b@stards will get their comeuppance. Especially Oliie. I like to dance on his entrails, minus appendix, with spiked boots.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »
    And I hope the backstabbing b@stards will get their comeuppance. Especially Oliie. I like to dance on his entrails, minus appendix, with spiked boots.
    I might have agreed with you, but Nicola was portrayed as being on an almost impossible level of incompetence (reminded me a little of Jacqui Smith who openly admitted she never really had a clue what she was doing in the cabinet).

If she'd been good at her job and they were getting her out for spurious reasons then yes, but it had to be done. Also, you could see a twinge of regret on Ollie's face so he didn't feel great doing it.

At least that was my reading of it. Nicola was a complete dunce with no apparent ability, way out of their depth - going on how the part was played.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we have seen the last of Nicola. I think if Ben Swain tells her what really went down she could really take Malcolm down.

I hope we see her again as I really do like the character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    I wonder if we have seen the last of Nicola. I think if Ben Swain tells her what really went down she could really take Malcolm down.
    Don't think she is competent enough to do that. Besides, Malcolm will have more dirt on them, than they will ever have on him. He would have to be the story, but we had that in the last series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola was Ed.
    Good point!
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the sake of the show it's obvious but it is stretching the bounds of credibility that she would ever be Opposition leader.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    It is true, the heightened reality of the first two series was gradually replaced in series 3 (and now 4) with a more pantomime style. It's a bit more obvious now that it's a 'comedy show'.

I felt more immersed in the show series 1 and 2. It's still very good though.