Which is best

nats18nats18 Posts: 8,215
Forum Member
I want to get a tablet to be able to do my uni work but as I don't know much about computers I don't know what to get. I mean should I shell out the money for an ipad or is there any cheaper tablets that basically do the same thing as I'll pretty much just be using it for that and on my laptop which is too big to carry all the time to uni the rest of the time.

Comments

• pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're all very similar. You should really go in to a shop and try some. It depends a bit on whether you like the look and feel of Android or iOS.

The Nexus7 gets very good user reviews. So does the iPad. It really boils down to how much money you want to spend, which you like using and what you intend to do with it. Tablets are not computers like laptops in that they're used very differently and have different capabilities. You generally use them more for surfing, email, games, miscellaneous apps rather than any serious amounts of writing.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    I want to get a tablet to be able to do my uni work
    What do you need? If you need to do any typing, is a tablet really a sensible choice? Maybe a netbook might be better.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    Not typing it's basically the stuff the lecturer puts online I'm spending tons on ink monthly just printing stuff off. Oh and thanks for the advice so wish they hadn't shut the local computer shop as I do think I need to see them as I get more confused reading reviews and stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not typing it's basically the stuff the lecturer puts online I'm spending tons on ink monthly just printing stuff off/QUOTE]
    So what happens? Do you download that material outside of lectures and then need to refer to it during lectures? If so, what you're proposing sounds like a good idea. Sorry to have to ask but in my day we just copied stuff off the blackboard (and I'm not joking, we really did).
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    Ye that is what we do they put slides online usually in a pdf format then we print them off and they expand on what they say. You can copy same as off a board but they expect you to have the slides with you as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ye that is what we do they put slides online usually in a pdf format then we print them off and they expand on what they say. You can copy same as off a board but they expect you to have the slides with you as well.
    Makes sense. So obviously you need to make sure whatever you buy can handle PDF files. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can say whether that's as universal with tablets as it is with PC's.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Makes sense. So obviously you need to make sure whatever you buy can handle PDF files. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can say whether that's as universal with tablets as it is with PC's.

All tablets can read PDF files, a lot depends if the OP wants to be able to add notes to the PDF files as well, as some extra software might be needed for that.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All tablets can read PDF files, a lot depends if the OP wants to be able to add notes to the PDF files as well, as some extra software might be needed for that.

Not used it, but here's a free android app that lets you annotate PDFs.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.branchfire.iannotate&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5icmFuY2hmaXJlLmlhbm5vdGF0ZSJd

I'm sure there are similar available for the ipad.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I want to get a tablet to be able to do my uni work but as I don't know much about computers I don't know what to get. I mean should I shell out the money for an ipad or is there any cheaper tablets that basically do the same thing as I'll pretty much just be using it for that and on my laptop which is too big to carry all the time to uni the rest of the time.

So what are you going to take notes on while at uni? Most tablets don't *really* do multitasking in the way we think of with a laptop. So while you can have your slides on your tablet, where will you take notes? Wouldn't something like an 11 inch chromebook with google docs be better?

I think a lot of people *think* they need a tablet when really they don't. Think about what you are actually going to do with the device and then get something that meets your needs. That said, I have an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7, and I find that (while I am a big Apple fan) I use the Nexus 7 more.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Not typing it's basically the stuff the lecturer puts online I'm spending tons on ink monthly just printing stuff off. Oh and thanks for the advice so wish they hadn't shut the local computer shop as I do think I need to see them as I get more confused reading reviews and stuff

Oh yes you'd definitely end up more confused, or rather more conflicted about which to buy. They're still good even if you did want to do a lot of typing if you're pretty quick typing on your mobile phone. I've been absolutely amazed recently watching a young lady typing on her phone with 2 thumbs and then another using just one thumb :eek:; both typing faster or as fast as I can using all my fingers and thumbs and I can touch-type! I can't move my thumb that fast.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    So what are you going to take notes on while at uni? Most tablets don't *really* do multitasking in the way we think of with a laptop. So while you can have your slides on your tablet, where will you take notes? Wouldn't something like an 11 inch chromebook with google docs be better?

I think a lot of people *think* they need a tablet when really they don't. Think about what you are actually going to do with the device and then get something that meets your needs. That said, I have an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7, and I find that (while I am a big Apple fan) I use the Nexus 7 more.

If you're really keen on a tablet rather than a laptop, then maybe the Asus Transformer with keyboard dock is the better way to go. A few people on here have them so could answer questions on what they do.