Indoor Aerial Recommendations.

2»

Comments

• hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I use one from Wilkinson - MAXVIEW C3010 iirc a right cheapy one

Of course getting a good aerial is important but if you don't put it in the prime place you could still get a crappy signal. - a long extension cable is most useful when you're trying to pinpoint the best position/location.

I have a 20m extension so can try it in other rooms as well as the one with the TV it is for in it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 20m extension so can try it in other rooms as well as the one with the TV it is for in it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out.

I was lucky in that the previous tenant had (iiuc) left screw holes where they'd put their aerial. A couple of quid for a cheap shelf and I'm sorted.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the reviews - it's dangerous. Six buyers state that the back fell off the plug and some of them even got an electric shock! Also at least 30% of buyers state that it didn't pick up enough signal for stable viewing. This Chinese rubbish should be banned.

You are right - there are some poor reviews. That is why I said that I may just be lucky with my location and receiving good signals, I can't guarantee that it works as well everywhere.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op, surely these must be somebody decent who can install an Ariel for you, indoor ones are a waste of time...

My guy did a great job, hid the cable in the gutter and even re glued those little SKY covers that cover the entry points... Great job all in, £70....
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    No loft access, so no good to me. And as I have stated on more than one occasion local contractors are rip offs that take advantage so would prefer to stay away from having outdoor fitted.

And indoor aerials are rip-offs that take advantage because they usually produce crap results (unless you are lucky or live near a transmitter).

You pays your money and takes your choice: if you want assured and reliable good Freeview reception, you need to fit or have fitted a loft or outside aerial and if it costs, so be it (or risk crap reception with *any* indoor aerial). What I'd do if I felt as you do is to buy any old inexpensive indoor aerial and carefully try it out in various places in my house or flat, using a long extension co-ax if near the TV doesn't work. If there was clearly no suitable place for it, take it back and get a refund... or if it was *almost* good enough, at that point consider getting a more expensive model to see if that worked better and if not, return that one as well and then, it's outdoor or nothing.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^guess I just got lucky, and the OP should check how far they're away from the nearest transmitter OR Argos an indoor aerial so it can be returned if :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    And indoor aerials are rip-offs that take advantage because they usually produce crap results (unless you are lucky or live near a transmitter).

You pays your money and takes your choice: if you want assured and reliable good Freeview reception, you need to fit or have fitted a loft or outside aerial and if it costs, so be it (or risk crap reception with *any* indoor aerial). What I'd do if I felt as you do is to buy any old inexpensive indoor aerial and carefully try it out in various places in my house or flat, using a long extension co-ax if near the TV doesn't work. If there was clearly no suitable place for it, take it back and get a refund... or if it was *almost* good enough, at that point consider getting a more expensive model to see if that worked better and if not, return that one as well and then, it's outdoor or nothing.

Lets see here, £15-£20 for indoor aerial, or spend over £200 for an outdoor one to be fitted. I have stated already that a friend brought an indoor aerial he had at his house round yesterday evening and even though it is around 10 years old and is just some generic piece of crap it picked up all BBC channels perfectly and was slightly choppy on all others. So to me that suggests a more powerful indoor aerial will likely be just fine. I am less than 3 miles from my local transmitter from what I can tell, so getting one that can pick up a decent signal from even further away than that should be fine.

I really do not get how many times I have to say that I do not want an outdoor aerial, I have shot it down around 10 times in this thread but no matter what I get a few of you who slate me for that, please read the name of the thread and my opening post. I did not ask for advice about an outdoor aerial, I asked for advice for an indoor aerial. So please forget the blooming outdoor aerial, it is not helping me at all.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    I am less than 3 miles from my local transmitter from what I can tell...

I really do not get how many times I have to say that I do not want an outdoor aerial, I have shot it down around 10 times in this thread but no matter what I get a few of you who slate me for that, please read the name of the thread and my opening post.

If you'd said you are only 3 miles from the transmitter, what kind of dwelling you live in, what floors are available to you and the transmitter location, we could have answered your question quicker.

Trial and error is the way to do it as it doesn't matter what indoor aerial any of us recommend, there is no reliable way of predicting the results in your home. If you are careful not to damage or mark the aerial, you can return each cheaper one that isn't good enough to the shop(s) and try a more expensive one until you get the reception quality you are after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets see here, £15-£20 for indoor aerial, or spend over £200 for an outdoor one to be fitted. I have stated already that a friend brought an indoor aerial he had at his house round yesterday evening and even though it is around 10 years old and is just some generic piece of crap it picked up all BBC channels perfectly and was slightly choppy on all others. So to me that suggests a more powerful indoor aerial will likely be just fine. I am less than 3 miles from my local transmitter from what I can tell, so getting one that can pick up a decent signal from even further away than that should be fine.

I really do not get how many times I have to say that I do not want an outdoor aerial, I have shot it down around 10 times in this thread but no matter what I get a few of you who slate me for that, please read the name of the thread and my opening post. I did not ask for advice about an outdoor aerial, I asked for advice for an indoor aerial. So please forget the blooming outdoor aerial, it is not helping me at all.

£200 for an outdoor Ariel??????????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 for an outdoor Ariel??????????

Yes, as I have pointed out local contractors are rip off merchants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, as I have pointed out local contractors are rip off merchants.

£70 for me, local guy. Can't understand how you get to that figure

Unless that includes the telly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £70 for me, local guy. Can't understand how you get to that figure

Unless that includes the telly?

Its not me that gets to that figure it is the companies that I have phoned and asked for quotes. All I have been told is it is because I live in an old 3 storey house, and despite telling them I do not care about having it on the chimney or roof they still want to charge at the last £200.
  • ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1088485.htm :)

Perfect picture on every channel. Got it cheaper on ebay though.

Disclaimer: I live on top of a hill quite near the Crystal Palace transmitter which might help.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not me that gets to that figure it is the companies that I have phoned and asked for quotes. All I have been told is it is because I live in an old 3 storey house, and despite telling them I do not care about having it on the chimney or roof they still want to charge at the last £200.

£200 doesn't seem that unreasonable to me for a professional job especially if it is a difficult fitting. If you've had loads of quotes and they all say £200+ then that would seem to be the going rate in your area for your type of house.

What do any aerial installers who post on here charge?
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live the default mast a freeview lite relay (half the channels), but the install is modest, easy, cheap.
    If people want the full freeview service which means using the distant mendip mast (over top he hills). To stand any chance of it working you need one of the biggest aerials you can get, on a high pole, with an amplifier. Add in costs of multiple outlets to serve many rooms, and the quotes can be as much as £300 (which many have been quoted). And after all that, it may not be 100% reliable! and it might take weeks or months for that to show up.

When faced with that most people go for sky, freesat, or for the minority, just stick with freeview lite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP a new indoor set top aerial isn't necessarily going to work any better than a 10 year old one.

None of them are great and walls / roofs / ceilings block TV signals a lot.

You could always try one, but they generally all perform at a similar level.

Try putting your postcode here, it will tell you what type of aerial you need
    http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?MAP=661,936
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all you need is someone with some ladders and a cordless drill, it'll be the perfect Saturday job for a roofer etc as he'll be done in 5-10 mins if you have a signal detector to aim it right
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    all you need is someone with some ladders and a cordless drill, it'll be the perfect Saturday job for a roofer etc as he'll be done in 5-10 mins if you have a signal detector to aim it right

If you can do the job in 5 minutes I suggest you start your own business as you'll earn a fortune.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    If you can do the job in 5 minutes I suggest you start your own business as you'll earn a fortune.

well all he needs to do is fix it to the wall where the person wants it and connect up one end of the cable and leave the rest to the person so all being well it'll be less than 30 mins including a cuppa if everything goes well
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without looking at the job you can't say it's simple.

I put up my own replacement aerial, on a chimney, on a dormer cottage.

(Chimney mounts already there, I just had to fit a new pole and aerial)

I have never been so scared in my life. I was only 15' up (my feet level), but everything was tricky. Couldn't get the U-bolts on, couldn't get the nuts on. Kept dropping bits and pieces. My legs were wobbly and my hands were shaky and I was stretching.)

Really I just kept thinking about Rod Hull.

But anyway, I did it. And then you have to tack all the coax down flint encrusted render, make it look nice, and it doesn't want to know....ping ping ping go the clips.
    Or the clips go in but don't stay in.

I am not doing it again. And as for 3 storeys......no way.

And as for Tom Cruise....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWoDpMSKQOI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brought an indoor aerial for £12 from my local Sainsburys, plugged it in to the TV and then positioned it, at first it was like the old one that my friend lent me, moved it by 2 feet and bingo all channels received and all are crystal clear. But apparently this should not be the case as all indoor aerials are rubbish and wont do the job.

I laugh in the face of your advice... hahahaha.

Thanks to DianaFire for your recommendation, this is the aerial I picked up and am extremely pleased with it.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All depends on how much signal strength there is where you are. If there's loads you might get away with an indoor portable aerial.
    But where there is less signal this will be unreliable or not work at all, requiring a proper aerial outdoors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brought an indoor aerial for £12 from my local Sainsburys, plugged it in to the TV and then positioned it, at first it was like the old one that my friend lent me, moved it by 2 feet and bingo all channels received and all are crystal clear. But apparently this should not be the case as all indoor aerials are rubbish and wont do the job.

I laugh in the face of your advice... hahahaha.

Thanks to DianaFire for your recommendation, this is the aerial I picked up and am extremely pleased with it.

Glad your happy with your hi tec indoor Ariel, very modern op.. Enjoy...

You must be close to the transmitter to achieve these results...

Anyway, glad it's all sorted