Options

Should I get a Car or Moped?

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been past the Peugeot garage and seen some nice looking brand new 125cc Vespas which quite take my fancy and at a decent price, I could do my CBT and and get insurance for under 5 grand, but the problem is I have no where to park it apart from the road outside my house and its a busy one with people walking past all the time.

Or I could get a car and insurance for the same price and have people drive it for me while I take the driving test, perhaps learn in it and that'll give me more incentive and motivation to learn quicker. And their wouldn't be any problem with parking as cars are pretty secure.

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    A moped is far cheaper to run than a car. Invest in a good quality heavy duty bike lock and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for the moped over car, but I'd also go for a bike over moped, but only you know what's best for you. I didn't pass my car test until I was 30 because I had my full bike licence when I was 20. I prefer bike's but there not so good in winter, and it hurts when you are hit by a car, I had a few spills but had good gear so just cuts and bruises.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I would look at it-
    Chances are you will need a car eventually anyway, so you may as well get the car now.
  • Options
    EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved my scooter (Honda PCX). Only problem was I was a bit nervous as there are so many idiots on the road (had someone go through a red light at crossroads before, as well as some daft woman decide to pull up alongside me at a junction and then go before me as her car had more power), so I didn't go on it very often. Got pregnant and sold it in the end. Would definitely recommend it though, but make sure you're wearing the right clothing - I see so many people in tracksuits or similar which will probably stick well to their skin if they are ever thrown along the tarmac!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you allowed to drive?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was unfortunate enough to get in a collision I'd rather be in a steel cage than balanced on a moped.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you live in the centre of London or are under 17 then get the car.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before people offer any form of sensible advice, I advise you to check out the OP's previous form.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised no one has put the fat girl and moped joke up yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprised no one has put the fat girl and moped joke up yet
    What do mopeds and fat ladies have in common? They're both a great ride until someone sees you on one.

There ya go :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Before people offer any form of sensible advice, I advise you to check out the OP's previous form.
    Isn't this a genuine enquiry then? :confused:
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you should get a car or a moped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a scooter made by Peugeot tho, get a Japanese bike if you must have a scooter.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should get yourself a licence to handle any of these vehicles first. Or are you going through one of your delusional phases at the moment?
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise a 125cc is not a moped? A moped is a 50cc not capable of exceeding 31mph, the scooter you are looking at is classed as a motorbike. If you are 17 you can still ride it after completing the CBT and you need to display L plates.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Finglonga wrote: »
    You do realise a 125cc is not a moped? A moped is a 50cc not capable of exceeding 31mph, the scooter you are looking at is classed as a motorbike. If you are 17 you can still ride it after completing the CBT and you need to display L plates.

It looks like are now not allowed to ride a moped without having completed a CBT or passed a motorcycle test.

https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Well saying you are always getting done for being Drunk and disorderly, i would say for the safety of all other people you just stick to walking.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    It looks like are now not allowed to ride a moped without having completed a CBT or passed a motorcycle test.

https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence

think that has been the case for at least a number of years now. And you also need a provisional license. And I think you have to take a bike test of some sort within 2 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think there are quite a number of people who like too much drink and should stick to walking. One of my mates never learned to drive but at least he is honest when he said "prolly a good idea I don't drive - I like to drink too much".
    And, when we went out to a country pub for a meal a few weeks ago, which was at capacity which we know to be just over 80 people, people were drinking all types of alcohol from larger to wine, and the car park was full up (it is several miles from nearest town). The cops could have waited outside and checked every driver, I bet all but about 6 people (me being one of them) would have been over the limit.
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I would get a car over a moped for safety in an accident. You could be the best and safest driver in the world but you can't control the other muppets on the road. And, as has already been stated, I would rather be in a car during a (multi)vehicle crash, than on a moped.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    And, when we went out to a country pub for a meal a few weeks ago, which was at capacity which we know to be just over 80 people, people were drinking all types of alcohol from larger to wine, and the car park was full up (it is several miles from nearest town). The cops could have waited outside and checked every driver, I bet all but about 6 people (me being one of them) would have been over the limit.
    And I bet they wouldn't, because most people know the law and abide by it, and most people know that one or two drinks doesn't put them over the limit.

Why didn't you phone the police, knowing that the pub was full to the brim of drunkards all about to weave their merry ways home, presuming they could get as far as successfully getting the keys in the ignition?

It's lager, not larger. :)

OP - buy yourself a decent bicycle and have free transport in your locality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I've been past the Peugeot garage and seen some nice looking brand new 125cc Vespas which quite take my fancy and at a decent price, I could do my CBT and and get insurance for under 5 grand, but the problem is I have no where to park it apart from the road outside my house and its a busy one with people walking past all the time.

Or I could get a car and insurance for the same price and have people drive it for me while I take the driving test, perhaps learn in it and that'll give me more incentive and motivation to learn quicker. And their wouldn't be any problem with parking as cars are pretty secure.

A car is more beneficial. You can transport people in it, put your shopping or any other items in it.
    When it's raining, you are also protected from the rain by being inside the car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    And I bet they wouldn't, because most people know the law and abide by it, and most people know that one or two drinks doesn't put them over the limit.

Why didn't you phone the police, knowing that the pub was full to the brim of drunkards all about to weave their merry ways home, presuming they could get as far as successfully getting the keys in the ignition?

It's lager, not larger. :)

OP - buy yourself a decent bicycle and have free transport in your locality.

Most people drank more than a couple of pints.....and those drinking wine drank more than a couple.
    And remember I said it was out in the country, no mobile phone signal.
    People knowingly break laws all the time - I see many drivers using their mobile phones everyday, yet it is illegal in this country.
    Cycling isn't much fun in this area, due to the pot holes and the hills. It's only a couple of cyclists I see each day & the "experts" that go out in force on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Should I get a Car or Moped?

Yes, definitely !
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    think that has been the case for at least a number of years now. And you also need a provisional license. And I think you have to take a bike test of some sort within 2 years.

The CBT allows you to ride with L-plates for up to 2 years. You're also restricted to whatever cc you took the CBT on so you won't be able to ride anything above 125cc. You can take a motorcycle test anytime within those 2 years which then means you can lose the L-plates and ride whatever size machine you've took the test for. Bear in mind there are 3 classes of test now which restrict you to certain sizes of bikes and depending on age you may not be able to take the higher cc tests.

The actual motorcycle test is in 3 parts which are taken at separate times and you need to do them in the following order:

Theory
    Module 1: Off road
    Module 2: On road

You can just retake the CBT at the end of the 2 years and carry on riding with L-plates. I've heard of people doing this so they don't have to pass the full test. To be honest though you should be perfectly capable of passing the tests if you've spent 2 years riding around on the roads and the test costs are about the same as a CBT anyway.