I thought you didn't get spiders a around this time of year

Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've seen about 5 or 6 so far this year and one this morning gave me the fright of my life : one of they ones with the huge body and the huge long legs:eek:

God I hate the things:(

Comments

• SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    There was one on my bedroom curtains when I was drawing them last night, made me jump a mile!
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    You get spiders all year round, as far as I know. The horrid things that we don't see so many of are moths, I'm terrified of those beasties so winter is a welcome season as far as I'm concerned, at least I can have my windows and doors open in the weather permits.
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    You get spiders all year round, as far as I know. The horrid things that we don't see so many of are moths, I'm terrified of those beasties so winter is a welcome season as far as I'm concerned, at least I can have my windows and doors open in the weather permits.

Do they fly straight for you as well? I'm always getting attacked by moths and craneflys, they never go for the OH - they have it in for me :cry:
    Forum Member
    Do they fly straight for you as well? I'm always getting attacked by moths and craneflys, they never go for the OH - they have it in for me :cry:

Too right they do! I swear they can smell the aroma of terror that I must emit. :D
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a spider on my pillow last week. Give me right fright. No spiders in bed please! I agree about the moths too. Up here in the summer it's daddy long legs that annoy the hell out of me more when you leave the window open at night. Even if it's open a crack, any army of them find their way in an skitter around the ceiling making that tap tap tap noise!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daddy long legs Argh!
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daddy long legs Argh!

Flying spiders - it's like my two worse fears squished into my worse nightmare!

Twinkle - I wonder if we were both in the same room which one of us it would go for....?! :D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't seen a spider for ages, rotton flies took forever to sod off.
    Forum Member
    Flying spiders - it's like my two worse fears squished into my worse nightmare!

Twinkle - I wonder if we were both in the same room which one of us it would go for....?! :D

I'll take a bet that it would be me and the critter would be either an elephant's head or a death's head hawk moth, the most evil of flying creatures. I can tolerate bats and owls but evil moths need eradicating and the sooner the better, they're the spawn of the devil and no mistake. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    If your house is dirty, of course you'll get insects and spiders during winter. They have to stay somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got one of those big stripey ones on a web outside my window :eek: I think they're the type that don't come into your house though....I hope!!
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had an earwig and beetle in my bathroom last week. Freaked me right out!:eek:
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    If your house is dirty, of course you'll get insects and spiders during winter. They have to stay somewhere.

Explain... :D

Is that like one of those "nits only live in clean hair" myths?
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now see, I don't mind daddy-long-legs but those freakin huge house spiders give me panic attacks. I once went to a silly hypnotist who was supposed to help me with my fear. Made me worse.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now see, I don't mind daddy-long-legs but those freakin huge house spiders give me panic attacks. I once went to a silly hypnotist who was supposed to help me with my fear. Made me worse.

With you on the spiders and the daddy long-legs. Spiders freak me out something horrible. Don't mind spindly ones as much, but anything that moves fast or is about the size of my hand is just dreadful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too! Relieved me of a few hundred quid but didn't help my phobia at all. I just now have a phobia of hypnotherapists too :D
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen about 5 or 6 so far this year and one this morning gave me the fright of my life : one of they ones with the huge body and the huge long legs:eek:

God I hate the things:(

Most outdoor spiders are seasonal. However House Spiders can live for several years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »

lol.

You can have the cleanest house in the world, but you'll still always have spiders, in your attic, in your wall cavities, living in the gap between your wardrobe and the wall. Spiders can go months without food too.
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    lol.

You can have the cleanest house in the world, but you'll still always have spiders, in your attic, in your wall cavities, living in the gap between your wardrobe and the wall. Spiders can go months without food too.

... and spiders are good, they don't like the damp and they eat the nasty beasties, spiders are everywhere and thank goodness for it. I'm not averse to Mr Spider who runs across the carpet late at night, I know that he's going to eat the nasty flies that invade the home from time to time, Mr Spider is my friend.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,831
    Forum Member
    We had a couple of wasps make their way into the house over winter which surprised me. :eek: I remember there was a butterfly a couple of years back too which really did surprise us.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I had a masive one in my flat the other day. I managed to steel myself up enough to get close and grab a picture of it.

http://flic.kr/p/9f6Zbd

* Don't look if you are a little screamish.

I don't have a problem with Daddy Long Legs or moths. Moths I can happy cup in my hand and help them out the window, same with DLL, although I must admit the feel a little weird in the hand especially when one leg gets free.
    Forum Member
    We had a couple of wasps make their way into the house over winter which surprised me. :eek: I remember there was a butterfly a couple of years back too which really did surprise us.

Butterflies try to find somewhere warm and safe to over-winter, I'm shit-scared of them too!! :confused:
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member
    Just reading this thread makes me shudder, i have a huge irrational fear of them which seems to be getting worse as i get older :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's cos Glasgow is so mild...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    I had a masive one in my flat the other day. I managed to steel myself up enough to get close and grab a picture of it.

http://flic.kr/p/9f6Zbd

* Don't look if you are a little screamish.

I don't have a problem with Daddy Long Legs or moths. Moths I can happy cup in my hand and help them out the window, same with DLL, although I must admit the feel a little weird in the hand especially when one leg gets free.

Looks like a Mouse Spider another one of the species that has become attached to humans. So named because of the mouse like fur on its body, not because it eats mice. :D

This one is nocturnal and hunts out resting insects at night iirc. Doesn't tend to build a web either.