Did BBC/ITV/C4 etc break into programmes on 9/11?

13»

Comments

• jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wal28 wrote: »
    I believe the European CL games weren't cancelled because there were already people on their way to the games.

I have the following from my ever trusty list:

Liverpool-Boavista 1-1 ITV Sport
    Real Mallorca-Arsenal 1-0 ITV Sport

I don't think there were any games on Weds or any European games on Thursday in the UEFA Cup but there was a League Cup tie shown:

Tottenham-Torquay United 2-0 ITV Sport

Not totally sure when the Weds/Thurs fixtures were played...

I expect the Tuesday fixtures had a minutes silence anyway.

That night, im guessing one of those matches, would have been on the ITV Sports Channel, as ITV obviously had 9/11 programming
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That night, im guessing one of those matches, would have been on the ITV Sports Channel, as ITV obviously had 9/11 programming

ITV showed Wednesday matches that season. The Tuesday Champions League games were shown that season on ITV Sport and ITV Sport Plus, and indeed those two CL games were the first that were shown on those channels. They weren't cancelled because, as you say, it was decided it was too close to the kick-off. They also played some League Cup matches that night and I recall Kevin Keegan saying they should never have been played.

The Wednesday games (which would have been Man U on ITV1 and Celtic on ITV Sport) were cancelled and played in mid-October, while everyone else played in the League Cup. The Thursday Uefa Cup games were played the following Thursday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually remember watching Neighbours on BBC1, they then went straight to New York following the programme. Does anyone remember whether both planes had crashed by that point?

Also, did ITV, C4 and C5 break into programmes at any point, if so...at what point?
    To be honest, I cannot remember..... the event wasn't THAT significant to anyone living outside of New York, in the same way that the death of Diana Spencer was never remotely significant to anyone outside of her immediate family, although afterwards some people with pathetic empty lives did obsess intensely over the death.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Already mentioned.

Sorry, I thought I was adding more content but I see now I pretty much just said the exact same thing :)

Just was confirming, really...
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the car, so I heard about the first crash within a minute or so of it happening. When I got into the house I put on a rolling news channel (BBC news 24 iirc)

They were showing pictures from an American broadcaster who was saying something along the lines of "... it appears an airplane departing JFK has crashed into one of the towers of the world trade centre, as you can see (as camera sees 'plane 2) departing airplanes do fly close to Manhatten.... oh my God.....) as the realisation that the second plane he was talking about ploughed into the second tower.

And as I worked in Air traffic control at the time, it was a very odd shift at work later that day, followed by some very quiet days thereafter.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    And as I worked in Air traffic control at the time, it was a very odd shift at work later that day, followed by some very quiet days thereafter.

*MASSIVE THREAD DERAIL*

Where did you work? En Route, Terminal Control, Tower?

There's a great 2 part article on USA today about the ATC work on the day, how they did the full ground stop and how some planes over the oceans were either turned back or routed to Canada.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2002-08-12-clearskies_x.htm
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2002-08-12-hijacker-daytwo_x.htm

May be interesting for you :)