Options

Woman loses it on a London train: Why I hate public transport

Comments

• Options
    PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    How very Victorian, people on Public Transport.

I dread the day I have to give up the car and be reduced to sitting a tube shaped metal insane asylum sharing oxygen with bug-eyed strangers, ethnic footpads, and smelly children.

And I dread the day I can't have a relaxing pint in the buffet car on the way home because I'm forced to buy something that's lost 20% of its value the minute I drive it out of the forecourt and then costs me thousands of pounds a year to maintain. To each their own.

(And I'm not entirely sure what an ethnic footpad is, but they sound delicious. I wonder if the travelling chef sells them.)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you could replace the whole "Keep Calm.." nonsense with "F**k Off.com" now :)
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plundermot wrote: »
    (And I'm not entirely sure what an ethnic footpad is, but they sound delicious. I wonder if the travelling chef sells them.)

My God, I haven't heard or well, read that word in ages! ...back when dinosaurs roamed the land.

Talk about archaic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you could replace the whole "Keep Calm.." nonsense with "F**k Off.com" now :)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the whole "Keep Calm and..." thing either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dread the day I have to give up the car and be reduced to sitting a tube shaped metal insane asylum sharing oxygen with bug-eyed strangers, ethnic footpads, and smelly children.

Your view of Public Transport is certainly Victorian :p
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ********s are the ones filming it.
  • Options
    Buffy AnneBuffy Anne Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the whole "Keep Calm and..." thing either.

Urgh, Keep Calm. Isn't that meme dead yet?
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How provincial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buffy Anne wrote: »
    Urgh, Keep Calm. Isn't that meme dead yet?

Unfortunately, not. There are still a great deal of shops, restaurants etc. around here with these annoying signs on display :(
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the very best episodes of 'South Park' deals with Internet Memes. It's called "Faith Hilling" and is well worth checking out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the very best episodes of 'South Park' deals with Internet Memes. It's called "Faith Hilling" and is well worth checking out.

I've seen that. All that effort and they were well behind the times :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just appeared on my Youtube feed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJfl_vaPz0

I live in London and rarely take public transport because there seems to be a spate of loonies being (often filmed by cameraphones) these days.

The loons here are the childish idiots giggling at someones distress and filming it.
    This is what it has come to now - see a situation and instead of stepping in or calling for help, people get their camera phones out hoping that the video goes viral on U Tube or some other site.
    It is something else when people has lost all sense of morality, and technology has become more important than someones feelings.
    It disgusts me.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, not. There are still a great deal of shops, restaurants etc. around here with these annoying signs on display :(

Amazing really, that a meme has been going since 1944.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Amazing really, that a meme has been going since 1944.

:rolleyes: Check out mr pedantic. Aren't we clever? Haven't you got another user to pester? I'm getting tired of interacting with you after only two posts, to be honest.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    The loons here are the childish idiots giggling at someones distress and filming it.
    This is what it has come to now - see a situation and instead of stepping in or calling for help, people get their camera phones out hoping that the video goes viral on U Tube or some other site.
    It is something else when people has lost all sense of morality, and technology has become more important than someones feelings.
    It disgusts me.

Does it? I mean in this case - does it really? Train passenger fails to get correct train, passenger pulls emergency stop. A rather drastic move I'd say, and then she goes on to abuse the staff, another really smart move, not.

I wish more people like this abusive woman would get exposed - not less.

(For the record: this is miles and miles removed from people who record disaster scenes or any kind of violence on their phones "just for the sake/fun of it")
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    It disgusts me.

You've hit the nail on the head. It's even worse when people film things like the man on the subway recently. I just wonder how someone's sense of empathy can evaporate to the point where their strongest instinct is to film something in hope of making them some kind of internet celebrity or something.

It severely depresses me but I do also realise that gawking is human nature.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: Check out mr pedantic. Aren't we clever? Haven't you got another user to pester? I'm getting tired of interacting with you after only two posts, to be honest.

:confused:
    1) There was no pedantry involved in my previous post. It really has been a catch-phrase/meme that has endured the test of time. My post was a follow on from yours, not a criticism.
    2) I've been posting on here for over a decade. Why suddenly have my posts started to rile you?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I wish more people like this abusive woman would get exposed - not less.

Why? What does it achieve apart from to fuel hate campaigns? Trying to fight hate with hate is just ridiculous and unproductive.

It seems we really haven't moved on from the days of pointing and yelling at people in the stocks. Sad.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    The whole "filming incidents" phenomenen is interesting. I wonder if it's because, as human beings, are natural instinct is to do something, to help in someway, but then we realise we can't so end up filming as some sort of subversive way of helping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? What does it achieve apart from to fuel hate campaigns? Trying to fight hate with hate is just ridiculous and unproductive.

It seems we really haven't moved on from the days of pointing and yelling at people in the stocks. Sad.

Pointing and yelling?

I seem to have missed something.

I don't like abusive behaviour, that's all. She shouts her head off to the staff member, kindly explain to me how that amounts to a "hate campaign"?
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole "filming incidents" phenomenen is interesting. I wonder if it's because, as human beings, are natural instinct is to do something, to help in someway, but then we realise we can't so end up filming as some sort of subversive way of helping.

They are being Good Citizens, Brother.

Exposing those who commit bad behaviour and thought crime in the CCTV blackspots.

Keep quiet, have no opinion and never express any dissatisfaction, Citizen.

Sleep well. Do not deviate from the path of your duty.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    :confused:
    1) There was no pedantry involved in my previous post. It really has been a catch-phrase/meme that has endured the test of time. My post was a follow on from yours, not a criticism.

Actually if someone really wanted to be pedantic, they'd point out that the "Keep Calm" posters were never widely distributed at the time, they were designed to be kept back for a German invasion. The meme, such as it is, has only been going for a few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pointing and yelling?

I seem to have missed something.

I don't like abusive behaviour, that's all. She shouts her head off to the staff member, kindly explain to me how that amounts to a "hate campaign"?

People film it so they can post it and sit back and watch as people comment and tear the person in the video apart.

How is that not a hate campaign?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People film it so they can post it and sit back and watch as people comment and tear the person in the video apart.

How is that not a hate campaign?

Oh please. Have you actually watched the video?
    This isn't a teenager being stabbed or a dog being beaten to death.

It's an abusive woman being abusive for no other reason than getting on a wrong train. Get some perspective. As I said, people like this should be exposed more, not less.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Aw, the guard missed an opportunity there.

When she said 'Where is platform 1?!' he should have said 'There.com!'.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6467/keepcalmbutfckoffcom.png