Options

Amateur footage of events - do they pay?

stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
Forum Member
OK, say I had filmed the Woolwich attack, or the recent aeroplane which caught fire over Heathrow (I haven't, I'm just wondering), would the people who filmed it routinely get paid for this footage by the likes of Sky, BBC, ITV?

I'm also amazed by how quickly Sky have managed to find the amateur footage of the plane with smoke coming out of it.

Comments

• Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the value of the footage. Something that only you have managed to capture, and that a broadcaster or newspaper wants to possess exclusively will potentially pay a large sum for. Famous example of this is ITV paying something like a six figure sum to the person who filmed the arrest of the July 21st 2005 would-be bombers.

In the case of the BA plane that will most likely be people uploading to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube or perhaps emailing directly to Sky themselves. I doubt anyone has been paid for it.

Have a read of this.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think there was so much being posted online of Woolwich that the media would only pay something unique, they also knew that much footage would be unsuitable for broadcasting.

To make serious money you have to have something that no one else has and it is probably best going through an agency even though they will take a substantial commission. You also need to get it to them fast.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Wonder how long before someone gets killed trying to take amateur footage and we see an end to it.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1963 LIFE magazine paid $1 million for what is known as the Zapruder film - the actual shooting of President Kennedy filmed on 8 mm by a Mr Zapruder.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Interesting BBC link, thanks!

Most images from mobile phones won't be paid for. The BBC insists the pictures it receives are royalty-free, to be published in any way it chooses. Sky News says it depends on their quality.

A spokesperson for Sky said: "We judge each offer of pictures on a case by case basis and would consider paying for footage on rare occasions where pictures have extraordinary editorial value."

Ah, yes, Abraham Zapruder, possibly the first "citizen journalist" in the world.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't imagine handing over footage to a broadcaster for free for them to make a fortune out of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Couldn't imagine handing over footage to a broadcaster for free for them to make a fortune out of.

I would have thought that in order to obtain the copyright the broadcaster would have to pay the person who shot the material.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I would have thought that in order to obtain the copyright the broadcaster would have to pay the person who shot the material.

Generally the broadcasters don't take the copyright - that remains with the person who shot the video. What they do is get the person to grant them a licence to use the footage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Generally the broadcasters don't take the copyright - that remains with the person who shot the video. What they do is get the person to grant them a licence to use the footage.

So presumably that person receives a percentage of any sales the broadcaster makes ?
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So presumably that person receives a percentage of any sales the broadcaster makes ?

Unless you mean sales by the broadcaster to other broadcasters / media? I would think it is usually on a flat fee basis.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how long before someone gets killed trying to take amateur footage and we see an end to it.

It happens quite often. You only have to look on the likes of Liveleak to find recent examples from Syria where the cameraman catches a snipers bullet.

We wont see an end to it when nearly everyone has a camera in their pocket on their phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It must have happened, just look at footage of things like the Tsunami where many people seemed to stop to take picture rather than run as fast as they could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »

I don't mind giving pictures to BBC News, some of mine were on just about every news bulletin for a few days and I was contacted by a commercial TV company who I think wanted me to send to them in future but I ignored them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not unless that's what they agreed when licencing the content. For example, the standard licence the BBC have people use for amateur footage submissions is "You hereby grant to the BBC a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, fully paid-up, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and such derivative works." I'd imagine other broadcasters use something similar.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Not unless that's what they agreed when licencing the content. For example, the standard licence the BBC have people use for amateur footage submissions is "You hereby grant to the BBC a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, fully paid-up, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and such derivative works." I'd imagine other broadcasters use something similar.

Though in practice the BBC don't tend to sell that footage, they'll pass people on.

But a clause like that is required, for example, the BBC to use it on BBC.com (as they have to sub licence it to BBC Worldwide).

There's a BBC blog on this I remember there being some fuss about a little while ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2011/08/use_of_photographs_from_social.html
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member

Haven't you seen Enemy of the State? ;)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I remember during the Boston Bombings one of the US networks, I think it was Fox, were showing footage from other broadcasters and claming it was in the public domain.

I guess they could say the same if they took clips from youtube and pics from twitter etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Phazer wrote: »
    Though in practice the BBC don't tend to sell that footage, they'll pass people on.

But a clause like that is required, for example, the BBC to use it on BBC.com (as they have to sub licence it to BBC Worldwide).

Yeah, they also have deals in place with other broadcasters around the world (abc in the US for example) to share content.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I remember during the Boston Bombings one of the US networks, I think it was Fox, were showing footage from other broadcasters and claming it was in the public domain.

I guess they could say the same if they took clips from youtube and pics from twitter etc.

Fair use maybe, but not public domain. In the UK, broadcasters can claim something similar for the purpose of reporting current events, but as soon as the event ceases to be current, they can't use the footage any more under this clause.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best way to make money is to sell it to a broadcaster for a small fee... maybe just £50, but take a percentage of any resale.