Corrie- What Can They Do To Improve

Shane ParrishShane Parrish Posts: 2,598
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They need to improve. Eastenders has been more watchable this week.

Comments

• llgxllgx Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axe most of the cast.
  • Markyboy79Markyboy79 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Very simply get rid of Blackburn. Eastenders have shown that having a producer who cares about the show, plans long term, and focuses on stories that are character led rather than issue led makes all the difference. Eastenders has been flawless this week and is in a different league to corrie now. And I'm saying that as a die hard corrie fan. The fact that Blackburn freely he admits he has no idea what the live episode will be about says it all.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spend more time developing characters and not jumping from one storyline to the next so quickly.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markyboy79 wrote: »
    Very simply get rid of Blackburn. Eastenders have shown that having a producer who cares about the show, plans long term, and focuses on stories that are character led rather than issue led makes all the difference. Eastenders has been flawless this week and is in a different league to corrie now. And I'm saying that as a die hard corrie fan. The fact that Blackburn freely he admits he has no idea what the live episode will be about says it all.

Totally agree, Corrie fans can no longer say that the show is good anymore, it's bloody awful. It can't touch EastEnders at the moment.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    llgx wrote: »
    Axe most of the cast.

The first to go should be Ken Barlow, Emily & Rita. Long past their prime.

The show is full of dead wood, has-beens, poor young actors and poor older actors. And Antony Cotton.

The number of weekly episodes drastically needs cutting too.
  • Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love corrie and I have watched it since the early 90s when I was a small child and I feel sad at the state of the show at the moment. Eastenders just seems so much better than Corrie since they have had DTC. He seems a producer that gets the show and isn't afraid to take risks. Corrie needs gritty drama and characters people can care about and I think a new producer is needed to create this.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it needs axings but it is kind of drifting along
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

The show is full of dead wood, has-beens, poor young actors and poor older actors. And Antony Cotton.

I disagree about Ken, Emily & Rita but there is a hitlist of about 10-15 characters who need to go as well as Stuart Blackburn and his writing team and yes there are too many episodes right now.
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Least they dont rely on dead characters to come back. :p:p:p:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sour Grapes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Sour Grapes

Yeah whatever. lol
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Not true in the slightest given no one knew about it and also given she wasnt involved in the flawless show tonight. Personally I admire the risk in bringing a much loved iconic character back who shouldnever have been killed off

However these soap war threads are pathetic. Corrie actors tweeted good luck and praised Eastenders tonight and Emmerdale sent them flowers. The only people who act like it's a competition are those on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true in the slightest given no one knew about it and also given she wasnt involved in the flawless show tonight. Personally I admire the risk in bringing a much loved iconic character back who shouldnever have been killed off

However these soap war threads are pathetic. Corrie actors tweeted good luck and praised Eastenders tonight and Emmerdale sent them flowers. The only people who act like it's a competition are those on here.

Not surprising haha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not surprising haha.

Ds is just nuts lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ds is just nuts lol

I know right? Couldnt care but this place can get irritating with their stupid soap wars. Jokes on them as the people behind the scenes aren't so childish haha and seem to get along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know right? Couldnt care but this place can get irritating with their stupid soap wars. Jokes on them as the people behind the scenes aren't so childish haha and seem to get along.

Exactly. everyone likes to see good tv.
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

I very much disagree about culling older, established characters.

This is one element of Corrie that other soaps look upon with envy - the fact that they have a clear, established, core generation of characters - Ken, Rita, Audrey, Emily, Gail and sadly until recently, Deirdre, who had been with the soap for 40+ years.

This is a huge achievement, particularly as it very much reflects real life, when there are people and families who do life in and around the same area for generations, just as there are others who drift in and out of the street.

Yes, some of them, (Emily) may not do much these days, but don't we all have elderly neighbours who are just...there, part of the community? I know I have. And she sure plays her part - only tonight her longevity in the soap was demonstrated when she walked into the Rovers and recognised Jenny Bradley, who had returned after over 20 years.

No, these characters are simply the last ones to go. Especially if the reason is because they are 'past their prime'. Watch Hollyoaks if you want characters like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. everyone likes to see good tv.

Thanks I agree. Good to see one of the few reasonsble posters on here without stupid soap wars.

Btw the producer guy off EastEnders seems okay so yeah well done. Good job for your work and all that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    I very much disagree about culling older, established characters.

This is one element of Corrie that other soaps look upon with envy - the fact that they have a clear, established, core generation of characters - Ken, Rita, Audrey, Emily, Gail and sadly until recently, Deirdre, who had been with the soap for 40+ years.

This is a huge achievement, particularly as it very much reflects real life, when there are people and families who do life in and around the same area for generations, just as there are others who drift in and out of the street.

Yes, some of them, (Emily) may not do much these days, but don't we all have elderly neighbours who are just...there, part of the community? I know I have. And she sure plays her part - only tonight her longevity in the soap was demonstrated when she walked into the Rovers and recognised Jenny Bradley, who had returned after over 20 years.

No, these characters are simply the last ones to go. Especially if the reason is because they are 'past their prime'. Watch Hollyoaks if you want characters like that.

Great post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks I agree. Good to see one of the few reasonsble posters on here without stupid soap wars.

Btw the producer guy off EastEnders seems okay so yeah well done. Good job for your work and all that.

let's face it Eastenders was absolutely shockingly bad a couple of years ago. While Dominic isn't perfect, he has done a fantastic job. I just love his enthusiasm, love for the show and his respect and knowledge of the history of the show. Characterisation and writing are fundamental. The plot should not drive the characters. He's completely changed that. Unfortunately that's what kirkwood does and Blackburn to a degree. That's not sustainable.

Corrie when it's on form is wonderful but it's just not working for me personally at the moment. I love it and remain a loyal viewer but something needs to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to improve. Eastenders has been more watchable this week.
    I don't agree. EE is absolute sensationalist crap with unintelligible dialogue. Even Corrie, as bad as it is just now with all those irrelevant new characters, is better.
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    let's face it Eastenders was absolutely shockingly bad a couple of years ago. While Dominic isn't perfect, he has done a fantastic job. I just love his enthusiasm, love for the show and his respect and knowledge of the history of the show. Characterisation and writing are fundamental. The plot should not drive the characters. He's completely changed that. Unfortunately that's what kirkwood does and Blackburn to a degree. That's not sustainable.

Corrie when it's on form is wonderful but it's just not working for me personally at the moment. I love it and remain a loyal viewer but something needs to happen.

You're right.
    This DTC guy has even got me watching and I've been quite a critic of EE over the years.

I too remain a viewer of Corrie, for my sins. I was brought up on it - I think it's a Lancashire thing. However I recognise that it's in a right state at the minute.
    They really, seriously need to get rid of Blackburn and draft in a new producer. Daran Little would be my choice, because he used to write for Corrie and knows and loves the soap inside out, but he writes for EE at the moment :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    I don't agree. EE is absolute sensationalist crap with unintelligible dialogue. Even Corrie, as bad as it is just now with all those irrelevant new characters, is better.

I totally disagree, Corrie has lost the plot, truly awful at the mo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    You're right.
    This DTC guy has even got me watching and I've been quite a critic of EE over the years.

I too remain a viewer of Corrie, for my sins. I was brought up on it - I think it's a Lancashire thing. However I recognise that it's in a right state at the minute.
    They really, seriously need to get rid of Blackburn and draft in a new producer. Daran Little would be my choice, because he used to write for Corrie and knows and loves the soap inside out, but he writes for EE at the moment :(

Daran is amazing.he wrote the episode last Friday when nick died. It was absolutely fantastic and a perfect lead in to live week.

He would be ideal for corrie. However I don't want him to leave EE LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »

Brilliant post.

But Sorcha good point you are a fair good poster.