employing a nanny / childminder?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone employ a full-time nanny / child minder?

A couple of years ago we were sending two kids to private nursery, although this was brilliant for them, it was hellishly expensive and they're now both at school. My other half was on maternity leave up till a few weeks ago so the school run wasn't an issue, however she's now looking at going back to work.

By chance, one of the staff from their previous nursery has left and we've been talking about employing her as a full time childminder / nanny / whatever.

This would be ideal as my other half would like to return to work but wasn't able to due to having to work school hours. Having a full time child minder would resolve this.

It's a girl we know, our kids already know her so it'd be an easy transition, but what we aren't sure about is the legal / business aspect.

Would she need to register as self employed etc, do we need insurance for it, should we draw up a contract etc etc etc

I'm sure there are a thousand little things we haven't considered...

Comments

• topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know about the legal implications but why has she left her last job without having another lined up? was it her choice to leave? that would probably concern me.

i guess she would have to be a registered childminder. she can register as self employed and pay her own tax and national insurance thats quite easy to do
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    Does anyone employ a full-time nanny / child minder?

A couple of years ago we were sending two kids to private nursery, although this was brilliant for them, it was hellishly expensive and they're now both at school. My other half was on maternity leave up till a few weeks ago so the school run wasn't an issue, however she's now looking at going back to work.

By chance, one of the staff from their previous nursery has left and we've been talking about employing her as a full time childminder / nanny / whatever.

This would be ideal as my other half would like to return to work but wasn't able to due to having to work school hours. Having a full time child minder would resolve this.

It's a girl we know, our kids already know her so it'd be an easy transition, but what we aren't sure about is the legal / business aspect.

Would she need to register as self employed etc, do we need insurance for it, should we draw up a contract etc etc etc

I'm sure there are a thousand little things we haven't considered...

If they went to her, she will have to be a registered child minder. Not sure about if she comes to your house.
    two questions as another poster said, why is she giving up a job without having another one to go? And what would she do while they are at school?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I think you or she needs to look into the tax credits. You need to have a registered childminder to get any help on tax/child credits. If you do claim help from the credits then they will need to prove they are a registered childminder/nursery/nanny. If not then you can have your child looked after by anyone you please.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    also childcare vouchers that are purchased from employers can only be for registered childminders as well.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get an Au Pair in - pay them £100 p/w plus they live with you...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    If they went to her, she will have to be a registered child minder. Not sure about if she comes to your house.
    two questions as another poster said, why is she giving up a job without having another one to go? And what would she do while they are at school?

She had a pay dispute with the nursery she used to work at, which I can totally understand as we had a dispute with the manager too about fees :D

Whilst they are at school she would be looking after our youngest boy, then picking the other two up at 3:15.
  • smokeybaconsmokeybacon Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member
    If you're planning on employing her yourself there's some info here;
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a541397/legal-responsibilities-of-employing-a-nanny
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Get an Au Pair in - pay them £100 p/w plus they live with you...

Only £100? Crikey I'll get one right away, my daughters nursery is £42/ day
    But of course au pairs are untrained & unregistered
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin employed a nanny, cheaper and more convenient then send two kids to nursery. She was a employee of the nursery where the first one went. There will be other expenses as well like if you expect her to take them swimming or other activities and you may need to provide a car or pay her travelling expenses if she provides her own car.

Don't background check, crb, etc

You will need to pay her tax and NI, provide payslips, etc There is some good advise here,

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/emp-in-home.htm

http://www.nannytax.co.uk/key-points-when-employing-a-nanny

http://donnamaher.com/protectyourchildren.html

You could use an agency who would do most of this for you, for a fee of course.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What age are your children? I've employed nannies and au pairs, but not childminders, - all very much dependant on ages of your children, the hours required and available budget, plus logistics of accommodating a live-in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're 4yrs, 6yrs and 9 months

the plan is for her to start at 8am(ish) to look after the youngest and to do the school run (it's only a 10 min walk to school), she'll get a couple of hours break during the day while he sleeps, then to get the other two from school and hold the fort till i get home from work at 4:30ish

basically this is the only way we could see that my other half could work and have it worth the fuss, sending all three to private nursery / after-school club would be very expensive (although employing someone full time isn't cheap, its a good £120 a week less)

as we see it as the only way for both of us to work i'm very vary of trying to make it worth it for the girl we're employing, but don't wanna go overboard lol
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For an <18 months, I wouldn't rely on an au pair for sole charge, as they're untrained, have English as a second language, and are in a new environment. Also, in most cases, you don't have the opportunity to meet them in person before offering them the job. Whatever route you go, check and cross check references, - we had a nanny once who I had to "let go" pretty much immediately, as i phoned her previous employer in Australia, and it turned out she had lied about her experience.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Au pairs are OK for older children who need occupying for a couple of hours a day and taken to/from school but as said I wouldn't use one for a baby unless they are there with the parent and taking some of the pressure off.
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this girl will be coming to your house and looking after the children there? If so, she doesnt have to be registered. If she is childminding from her own house, she would have to register as a childminder and as self employed and be responsible for her own tax/ni. She would then be able to care for up to 6 children. However, you dont get registered overnight, it takes a good few months of training, inspections etc.
    If she is coming to your house then basically it is quite straight forward and if you already know and trust her and agree terms and conditions before you start, hopefully is should work out quite easily.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    So this girl will be coming to your house and looking after the children there? If so, she doesnt have to be registered. If she is childminding from her own house, she would have to register as a childminder and as self employed and be responsible for her own tax/ni. She would then be able to care for up to 6 children. However, you dont get registered overnight, it takes a good few months of training, inspections etc.
    If she is coming to your house then basically it is quite straight forward and if you already know and trust her and agree terms and conditions before you start, hopefully is should work out quite easily.

Nope, you don't HAVE to be registered but it would be sensible to make sure they are.