Glee (US Pace) (Part 5)

Comments

• prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Can anyone copy and paste that interview? Can't get on facebook from this computer.

The previews were beautiful. I wasn't quite expecting to sob so much during make you feel my love, my poor husband didn't quite know what to do as I was crying so much! Love Amber's higher voice in I'll stand by you. Mark's singing was beautiful too.

I am half glad I listened as I won't be so upset when the episode airs, but now wondering if it'll actually make it worse!
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That interview with Ryan is about what I thought for the Lea song. That it was her own personal choice, as a tribute to Cory, and Ryan didn't question the whys or hows, but just went and got her the clearance rights to sing it. It should be noted, though, that Lea and Darren sang the song earlier this year as a duet, for a charity function one of the Glee producers is involved in. They were interviewed at the time, and both joked that this was their standard way of campaigning for various songs to be included in Glee. They also sang 'Falling Slowly' from Once, although that's never been included in the show (so far).

So, I expect it was one of Lea and Cory's favourite songs, but Lea had been pushing behind the scenes for that song for a while now. It's beautiful and haunting and, as someone said further upthread, has those same qualities as Adele herself has when singing Someone Like You. Utterly honest emotion coming out. The end result on screen is just going to be devastating.

All the songs they've chosen are so good. I actually wasn't familiar with the Bruce Springsteen one, but Mark sounds perfect on it. It sounds like the break away from Glee has been really beneficial to his voice, but also this genre is so right for him to be singing anyway. Given Puck's involvement in this episode -
    Puck reportedly joins the military after Finn's death; so linking up Finn's failed military career, and Puck's lack of direction in the past.
    the lyrics are so spot on. That line - Well maybe we'll cut some place of own, With these drums and these guitars - is so right for the Finn-Puck friendship and what they were to each other.
    Kind of sad that Will didn't get a part in a song and Kurt didn't get a solo but I'm sure it would've been too hard for them anyway.
    Chris has got a solo line in SoL (another really nicely done tracked - all of them are really nicely produced. Much more restraint from the Anders team than I'd been worried about), and I suspect that Chris was prepared to do whatever Lea wanted to in this episode, they've always been good friends.

As for Will not getting a solo, I think that's the biggest surprise for me. Finn's relationship with Will was THE pivotal one (other than the Finn/Rachel story) in the early days of the show. Not that we'll ever know, but I wonder if Matt Morrison was one of the cast members who didn't want to do the tribute episode, and so asked not to have to sing a solo for the episode. I recall Jane Lynch being interviewed before the episode started filming, and she sounded really concerned about the content. After she read the script, though, she was full of praise for the writers. She may have been another one who was reticent, but seemed to come around after they proved to her they could do this tribute the right way, as her later comments indicated she was happy and proud of what they'd done.

I actually don't have any problem with any of the cast having been reluctant to present their grieving on screen for public consumption. However, this cast waited for Lea to make her decision, and followed her lead. She's quite remarkable - those past 2 episodes have been Lea acting on top of her game. Those weren't dialled in performances of someone who just lost the love of her life mere weeks earlier. So to do that, and then have to bring back raw grief to act out the storyline for episode 3 - just, all the kudos in the world. I've never been the biggest Rachel fan, but seriously, I won't hear a bad word about Lea - and definitely not this week! Just - part of the title of that article 'RACHEL'S SEASON OF GRIEVING' - that's really not what the content of the article discusses, and it's annoying to reduce her character to that, when we already know that Rachel has got big storylines (Funny Girl etc) for this season, which are much more important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone copy and paste that interview? Can't get on facebook from this computer.

The previews were beautiful. I wasn't quite expecting to sob so much during make you feel my love, my poor husband didn't quite know what to do as I was crying so much! Love Amber's higher voice in I'll stand by you. Mark's singing was beautiful too.

I am half glad I listened as I won't be so upset when the episode airs, but now wondering if it'll actually make it worse!
    The article content:

GLEE NEWS: RYAN MURPHY REVEALS WHY LEA MICHELE CHOSE FINN SONG, AND RACHEL'S SEASON OF GRIEVING

Glee creator Ryan Murphy has opened up about the memorial episode dedicated to Cory Monteith – and the gut-wrenching grief the cast felt during filming. He also reveals the show’s leading lady, Lea Michele, who was dating Cory at the time of his death on July 13 from a drug and alcohol overdose, chose the song she sings in the tribute episode. “She does have a song,” Ryan tells Australia's TV WEEK. “It was a very personal one for her and Cory. “She’s ultimately the person who approved and chose that song. She wanted to do something personal. I don’t think she’ll ever share why she chose that song. It was very sad; everybody was wrecked. It was really hard.”

Ryan admits producing the episode, which airs in Australia on Eleven on Friday, October 11, was a big responsibility – not only in honouring Cory’s memory, but in reaching out to teens who may never have lost someone. “The episode is about how you mourn people and how lives can make a difference,” he says, adding: “Particularly with the Rachel character, she struggles with it [the loss] all season. It’s not just done, buried and goodbye.” Ryan reveals the episode focuses on everyone coming back for the memorial of Cory’s character, Finn Hudson, in the wake of his earlier passing. Lea, who plays Rachel Berry, was present during filming.
    “She was actually deeply in it [on set] – her story kicks in during the last half,” he says. “It was very brave of her to do, because there were some cast members, who we won’t name, who didn’t want to do a grief episode, didn’t want to do a memorial episode. So, Lea really put herself in the bottom of the heap and soldiered on.”

Other cast members, like Romy Rosemont, who plays Finn’s mum, Carole, and Mike O’Malley, the man behind Finn’s stepdad, Burt, were also shattered after filming. “In many ways, he was like their son,” Ryan notes. “There was never a second take or a third take [on the days of filming their scenes] because they were all just so emotionally distraught. The first take was so raw and felt so real we didn’t do it again.”

While she’s still hurting, Ryan reveals Lea’s character will have a huge role to play in season five. “Lea is very heavy in this season,” he confirms. “She was big last season, but she’s really big – and back. Make no mistake, Lea’s the female star this season. And, I think that’s really good.”
    Forum Member
    Thank you for pasting! I am glad that they're going to show the grief all season in terms of storyline. You don't just bounce back from something like that.

EDIT: Although I hope its ok for Lea to act the grief throughout the season but I know Murphy would never make her do something shes uncomfortable with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the grieving process taking a long time, and it's realistic to expect that to happen. I've also no doubt that it's Lea's own wishes that, once the tribute episode is done, they don't do that thing some shows do when cast members leave, and never mention Finn's name again. He was a huge, important part of Rachel's life. They weren't dating at the time he died, but they'd both envisaged a future together. I think it's probably really critical that they acknowledge those things, even as Rachel gets all the things she wanted professionally. It makes her successes bittersweet, and puts them in the right context.

I also expect saying something like that about Rachel's grieving process ensures the network backs off and doesn't insist that Rachel be given a new love interest any time soon. Because, whilst the cast and crew of Glee are a big, close knit family, there will be the suits at Fox who get jittery that the leading lady in one of their hit shows is entirely unattached for the duration of this season. By making a blanket 'Rachel is grieving ALL SEASON' statement, I suspect Ryan and co are helping to ensure no network pressure comes on them to alter her relationship status a moment before Lea herself is ready to act out a romantic scene on Glee that's not with Cory. Rachel will get a new love interest - probably season 6 - but enough time will have passed to make it palatable to the audience, and for them to find the right person for the job. That's one damn tough casting call, if and when if happens!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    Rachel will get a new love interest - probably season 6 - but enough time will have passed to make it palatable to the audience, and for them to find the right person for the job. That's one damn tough casting call, if and when if happens!

They certainly got it wrong last season with the gigolo. There was very little chemistry between them.
    Forum Member
    I would like Jonathan Groff to come back as Rachel's love interest. Apart from Finn I don't think anyone could love Rachel as much as Jesse does and I think because of their real life friendship it will be easier on Lea to act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first instinct was Jon Groff. The Rachel-Jesse dynamic was amazing, and their scenes were so funny "I picked the Stephen Sondheim biography section for our clandestine meeting place because only he would be able to express my melancholia"! You have to think he'd move mountains to accommodate Lea and Glee, if they asked him to return as a regular cast member for the final season. He's her best friend - he left the set of The Normal Heart to be with her when Cory died - plus they acted together in Spring Awakening. They have a really solid chemistry that would work perfectly as a ridiculous, over-the-top Broadway diva couple. I feel like Glee has upped the funny in the past two episodes. Whilst the next episode will be a completely different tone, I suspect season 5 is returning to those comedic roots it sort of lost in the past couple of seasons. Jon Groff would be a great returning cast member at a later date.
    Forum Member
    Glee was hilarious the first 2 episodes of this season. Santana's yeast infection commercial had me proper laughing out loud!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I have just spent my lunch hour at work listening to the 'Quarterback' episode songs....prob not a good idea - as I had to hide my tears lol!!!

The songs are amazing....Lea singing MYFML was heartbreaking!!

The episode is going to be really difficult to watch.

A line in 'I'll Stand by you' was quite poignant in a way (or it may be me looking to much into it....

'Nothing you confess
    Could make me love you less'

All I could think of was the fact that Cory's death was due to an overdoes etc....but in a way they are kind of saying that no matter what happens / what comes out - they will all still love him and won't change how they feel / felt towards him.

(Very corny, and daft I know!!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    film_fan wrote: »
    (Very corny, and daft I know!!).

Not at all, I thought the exact same thing actually. It's a good combination. It's probably the best Finn ballad/Finn solo so it was always an obvious choice but the song does have a rather appropriate second meaning for being chosen for the reasons you've suggested.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like Jonathan Groff to come back as Rachel's love interest. Apart from Finn I don't think anyone could love Rachel as much as Jesse does and I think because of their real life friendship it will be easier on Lea to act.

I agree, I said that over on the Glee Forum, that the only person I could see Rachel turning to would be Jessie and, obviously, having Jon Groff playing him would make things much easier for Lea.
    Forum Member
    Ahhh are you on there too? I always try to get involved but then feel really old and back off! Feel a bit safer commenting over here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh are you on there too? I always try to get involved but then feel really old and back off! Feel a bit safer commenting over here!

Yeah, been a member of there quite a few years now, it's mostly a decent bunch of people posting and it's well administered and moderated.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I soooo hope they bring Jesse (Jonathan Groff) back!! Without him there are no attractive men on the show:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else seen this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2449066/Dianna-Agron-excluded-Glee-tribute-episode-Cory-Monteith-intense-dislike.html

It's a pretty nasty thing to be writing at this time, and I know that's what the tabloids do but it really lowers the tone of what is such a serious time really. Also, I just can't believe that Dianna and Lea could dislike each other, they lived together for gods sake! And the whole Faberry fanbase was started because of the love the actresses had for each other! But has anyone else heard anything to support it?

I could understand them not being as close, they're off doing their own things. But even still, I can't see it having going that far.
    Also, I know it's not hugely important but just thought I'd share..:o
    Forum Member
    I can't stand those comments all slagging off Lea.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    '[Murphy and Michele] simply did not want her sharing the glory for this very special episode.’
    :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand those comments all slagging off Lea.

Same here :(
    :eek:

I know, that's what I mean about nasty! It's ridiculous that they could think saying that is okay. This episode is for EVERYONE, no matter how close to Cory, no matter if they even knew him! It's everyone's way of saying goodbye.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't posted here Before but have been a fan of the show from the start ,
    I am dreading the episode on Thursday ,The 30 second promo had me in tears ,I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must have been for Lea and the cast to film :(
    Anyone else seen this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2449066/Dianna-Agron-excluded-Glee-tribute-episode-Cory-Monteith-intense-dislike.html

It's a pretty nasty thing to be writing at this time, and I know that's what the tabloids do but it really lowers the tone of what is such a serious time really. Also, I just can't believe that Dianna and Lea could dislike each other, they lived together for gods sake! And the whole Faberry fanbase was started because of the love the actresses had for each other! But has anyone else heard anything to support it?

I could understand them not being as close, they're off doing their own things. But even still, I can't see it having going that far.

I sadly believe there is an element of truth in this story.
    Dianna has stated that she wasn't asked to do the episode,so something must have happened as it just doesn't make sense for Quinn not to be in the episode, her character was so important to Finn's story line ,I suspect that it is Ryan that has an Issue with Dianna.. not Lea .
    I feel bad that this has been brought up this week and that Lea and Dianna's friendship has been dragged into it and that Lea has come in for criticism for it.
    Forum Member
    I must admit I found it very odd Quinn isn't in the episode. I feel like she is a big part of Finn's story but I got the impression that she had moved herself away from Glee to focus on her movies, and I am sure I read somewhere on the Glee Forum that because she has a SAG card even if she volunteered to appear in the episode she would have to be paid...maybe they don't have it in the episode budget and would rather have another character like Mercedes/Mike who have had more of a S4 storyline bar a drunken fumble with Santana...I don't know.

But I hate all this talk it just puts a dampner on what is sure to be a very touching episode.

Absolutely HATING the junkie comments too.
    Forum Member
    freckles88 wrote: »
    ,I suspect that it is Ryan that has an Issue with Dianna.. not Lea .

Possibly because she decided Glee wasn't for her anymore. Seems a bit petty and childish to exclude her for that though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else seen this?

Haven't heard anything anywhere which would support this. I think Lea and Dianna have simply drifted apart over the years, after all they only lived together for about six months in the period before Glee actually started shooting back in 2008. I think it's fairly obvious that Ryan and Dianna have had a "falling out" since the end of Season Two.
    freckles88 wrote: »
    I suspect that it is Ryan that has an Issue with Dianna.. not Lea.

I think there's been a falling out with Ryan and Dianna, who is to blame for that is totally open to speculation and there's only two people who know what's really happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly because she decided Glee wasn't for her anymore. Seems a bit petty and childish to exclude her for that though.
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything anywhere which would support this. I think Lea and Dianna have simply drifted apart over the years, after all they only lived together for about six months in the period before Glee actually started shooting back in 2008. I think it's fairly obvious that Ryan and Dianna have had a "falling out" since the end of Season Two.

I think there's been a falling out with Ryan and Dianna, who is to blame for that is totally open to speculation and there's only two people who know what's really happened.

Who knows what has gone on between them, but it is a shame that it couldn't have been put aside for the sake of Cory/Finn .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I agree that it is more something to do with Ryan and Dianna - not Lea.

It's always been well publised that Ryan did not like what Dianna did to the character of Quinn - she made her likeable, and not the bitch that he had originally wanted her to be (or something like that!).

There is a picture of Naya, Lea and Dianna - from earlier on this year - i think it was when they all met up to shoot the scene in New York - it did not look like there was any hate!!

Dianna also turned up to Cory's Memorial at the studios - I don't think she would have been welcome if there was an issue with Lea - as she would have been most likely the one who decided who did / didn't go.

However, an issue with Ryan Murphy would not have stopped her showing up at the memorial - if Lea wanted her there!

Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm at work trying to type this between calls lol!!