Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

Kinda weird seeing Kris Marshall in the promo shots but so excited that this is coming back - pity it is when the first tennis grand slam starts - it may be a couple of weeks in before I get to watch it!!!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Well.
    And I will miss the trailer as I have to scoot out to a postponed Christmas dinner.
    I suspect my friend would think I was barking if I cried off to catch it!
    Then again... I'm barking anyway.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Saw a trailer on BBC1 for this and it includes the spoiler above.
    i must admit I wasn't expecting them to kill him off. Kris Marshall's character will investigate Poole's murder. Poor Camille.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    Looks like I might be avoiding all trailers for this then :) (Not difficult as have nothing to watch from the BBC until this starts again!)
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Saw a trailer on BBC1 for this and it includes the spoiler above.
    i must admit I wasn't expecting them to kill him off. Kris Marshall's character will investigate Poole's murder. Poor Camille.

I really shouldnt look at spoilers but Im too nosey. I am going to Guadaloupe in February on a cruise. Really looking forward to seeing where the series is filmed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Anyone have a link to watch the trailer online if it has been put up?
    Forum Member
    claire239 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to watch the trailer online if it has been put up?

I hated myself for first resorting to one on ... Oh my god I dare not say it... The Daily mirror website.
    I feel I need to purge myself with carbolic soap. Do they still SELL carbolic soap?

Anyway here is a non-nefarious-tabloid link
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I really shouldnt look at spoilers but Im too nosey. I am going to Guadaloupe in February on a cruise. Really looking forward to seeing where the series is filmed.

Oh my god that's amazing - lucky thing ...
    Forum Member
    Looks like I might be avoiding all trailers for this then :) (Not difficult as have nothing to watch from the BBC until this starts again!)
    I have a Paper.li feed every day which I read whilst having breakfast and, annoyingly, this spoiler was all over it this morning :mad::(

Oh well!
    Forum Member
    I have a Paper.li feed every day which I read whilst having breakfast and, annoyingly, this spoiler was all over it this morning :mad::(

Oh well!

:-(

Makes me wonder if that's not the only twist .. Anyway I got a retweet from Danny John Jules as I giggled at his line and that was already some dramaz from Sara Martins. Made for a pleasant interlude in amongst writing press releases and match previews for random tennis players!

I often get mentioned in various people's paper.li stuff - what is it?
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    I often get mentioned in various people's paper.li stuff - what is it?
    It's just another personal news/social media aggregator.

Here's mine: http://paper.li/carlwaring/1323042706
    Forum Member
    It's just another personal news/social media aggregator.

Here's mine: http://paper.li/carlwaring/1323042706

That might be something to look at on the next day off (ANYTHING to get out of doing the company finances!)
    Forum Member
    My thoughts on the spoiler (in spoiler tags, obvs!!!!)
    1. Not often we see Richard without a tie (in his suit...'jamas don't count) so wonder how much time has elapsed since he returned at the end of S2 because...
    2. That brief pic of the team looking on in horror and Camille's reaction ...
    3. Wouldn't be the first time the BBC had done a trailer with. A little misdirection. I know we hear Humphrey telling Camille he will do everything to find out what happened to her friend,. But they did a similar bit if nifty editing for the trailer when he was going to London

Just initial musings ...
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do you think we will have Camille initially disliking Kris Marshall's character then slowly falling in love with him?

Ben Miller leaving has left them in a quandary because a lot of the programme was about their growing relationship. I wonder if Kris Marshall will just take over where Ben left off.

It would have been fun to see Ben regenerate into Kris on the morgue table but I think I have been watching too much Doctor Who recently.
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    So do you think we will have Camille initially disliking Kris Marshall's character then slowly falling in love with him?

Ben Miller leaving has left them in a quandary because a lot of the programme was about their growing relationship. I wonder if Kris Marshall will just take over where Ben left off.

It would have been fun to see Ben regenerate into Kris on the morgue table but I think I have been watching too much Doctor Who recently.

Hahaha the while regeneration thing - between that and DiP and Sherlock tonight I am in telly heaven.

I suspect re: Camille - certainly some reticence is called for for the character's sake for than anything. It would just feel so WRONG otherwise.

However the first episode pans out I have a feeling it's gonna be emosh! The DiP twitter and Fb are trying to play down the change and keep stressing that Poole is not just forgotten, which leads me to another musing off the trailer-ish
    all the press releases before said Ben leaves half way through so I suspect there are some elements of flashbacks for a few episodes before he is finally done with so I wonder whether to help bed Kris in they have a slightly longer murder arc than normal ... After all people wanting to kill Poole would be ex crims he's halted - otherwise the whole "half way through" was a lie? I suppose it could have been to throw fans off the scent?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read any of the spoilers above, but just saw the trailer on telly and I do hope it is one of those trailers that gives a false impression of what will happen in the episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Its really sad that they're going to
    kill him off (although I suppose that was really one of the only things they could do).
    Camille's reaction was just heartbreaking. I really don't believe that the show will work without Ben Miller, since the whole idea was based around how 'out of place' he was in the setting. Also it'll be incredibly annoying if they build a realtionship with Camille and the new detective!
    Forum Member
    I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt - the only time I have ever seen KM in anything serious was The Four Feathers and up until then I had only ever seen him as that loon in My Family, so I was pleasantly surprised.

The trailer does not make him look too bad and I guess the bumbling (eg falling out of a window) will be his schtick more than the resolute Englishness of Poole. Otherwise where's his "fish out of water" premise?

@Soap_Queen - agree re: Camille... suspect the first episode will be heavily carried by Sara Martins... perhaps as it should be.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very dubious when I heard that Kris Marshall had been cast, but then I remembered a series he did with Amanda Donahoe about 6 or 7 years ago. 'Murder City' I think it was called.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed it, and I thought he was pretty good in it, so I'll be watching without any preconceived ideas and just hope that I still love the show as much as I did previously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    @RFS - I hope so, I think it definitely should be, no doubt Sara Martins will do a great job. Although I hope they don't except him into the team too quickly however its hard to tell from a short trailer. I'm weary of accepting a new person as the entire point of the show was really about Richard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Death in Paradise Trailer now on Youtube.

Contains SPOILERS!! So if you don't want to know the Result, look away NOW!! :D

Personally I blame Moffat! I am sure he has something to do with it, after all, he seems to get the blame for everything else! ;-)
    Forum Member
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    Death in Paradise Trailer now on Youtube.

Contains SPOILERS!! So if you don't want to know the Result, look away NOW!! :D

Personally I blame Moffat! I am sure he has something to do with it, after all, he seems to get the blame for everything else! ;-)

Hahah have you noticed in the comments under that trailer quite a few people say Moffat!!!! Made me chortle! In that case expect the plot to jump about like the lizard on a hot tin roof in the first episode!!!!
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soap_Queen wrote: »
    Its really sad that they're going to
    kill him off (although I suppose that was really one of the only things they could do).
    Camille's reaction was just heartbreaking. I really don't believe that the show will work without Ben Miller, since the whole idea was based around how 'out of place' he was in the setting. Also it'll be incredibly annoying if they build a realtionship with Camille and the new detective!

No, from the moment I heard about Ben Miller leaving I thought the series would start to fail. If they had made DiP just a series of murder cases with a nondescript crime team then the change would have been less of an issue. However Bens characters quirks(wearing that suit in all that heat always made me smile) and his awkwardness with the opposite sex made his gradually warming friendship with Camille so very watchable-maybe more than the writers expected. Thus it may not be to everyones taste if she is written into an eventual relationship with the new character. Its a shame Ben couldn't have lasted another series really and the spoiler bit a triple shame.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a big fan of the first 2 series, and was looking forward to the 3rd. Even so, I had my concerns. The fish out of water idea has a limited life, and the slowly developing feelings between Camille and Richard would have to go one way or the other. Once he settles in, which he clearly was doing as he kept coming back, the dynamic of the first 2 series would be lost.

Richard leaving might prove to be a blessing in disguise. But I hope they don't try and shoehorn Kris Marshall into the same role. They need to find a different personality for him.

Also, I hope the Richard/Camille relationship moves forward at the start of the new series, before the murder - making it a proper tear jerker. The killer can be a jealous ex-boyfriend of Camille.