Corrie: Is Over-Exposure Ruining Characters

Corrie2010Corrie2010 Posts: 1,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im under the impression that many people hate Tina, or not a huge fan of Stella and Gloria, all of which will leave next year.Since their departure announcements, Stuart Blackburn has shoehorned these characters down our throats which may damage the characters
For instance Tina has been heavily involved with a number of storylines and, just like Stella, is one of the top characters that have dominated 2013. With news that Peter and Tina having an affair, this will make us viewers hate her even more, hence more Tina screen time
Now it seems like Hayley's story will go down the same path whereby her personality will change; as we've seen, and will be fedup of the characters over exposure by the time of her impending death. I personally feel i will dislike Hayley and Tina in the next few months

DISCUSS

Comments

• SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Im starting to dislike Haley and shes one of my all time favorite characters, her attitude was awful to roy in Fridays eps.
    i fear her death will be nothing special and nothing happens after it, roy just gets on with his life like nothing happened.
  • Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be in the minority here, but I've noticed a lot of characters becoming unlikable! That's whats ruining the show for me at the moment! That and some of the storylines....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say.

Plus I just plain don't like Tina! :)
  • Corrie2010Corrie2010 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideally we need a break of Hayley and Roy where they appear in a couple of scenes during a fortnight
    Another thing is that their scenes are way too lenghy
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, with Soap's Satan in charge just the actual exposure is ruining characters:mad:
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Stella and the price family have been UNDER used, Stella has only really had the Karl storyline this year!
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good riddance to Stella, less of her the better.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    Im starting to dislike Haley and shes one of my all time favorite characters, her attitude was awful to roy in Fridays eps.
    i fear her death will be nothing special and nothing happens after it, roy just gets on with his life like nothing happened.

I feel the same. Hayley to me was so unlikeable on yesterday's episode.
    I might be in the minority here, but I've noticed a lot of characters becoming unlikable! That's whats ruining the show for me at the moment! That and some of the storylines....

My list is getting longer of characters I used to like that are now so unlikeable. This must be down to writing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope they don't ruin other characters
    It may reach a point with Hayley and Tina of no return
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie certainly is changing. Gone are the days when most of the characters were basically nice people, now all we have is EE style random nastiness and shouting.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use to like Anna but she become like many of the woman on their nasty and a big whiner, I actually think Owen has become the nicer character of the two!

Michelle my god in EVERY scene she just moans, scowl and crosses her arms and say STEVE!! this is like the entirety of her all repetive scenes.

The Platts, I actually apart from David dislike them all atm, Kylie is the biggest two face hoe, Gail needs a good slap and wake up call about her Golden Boy and Nick another character I've grown to dislike intensely, Leanne was way better with Peter I think she been ruined by Nick.

Tina I still like her to me she been selfish in the past but has relevantly remained the same.

Sawfie do not get me started on her, she never been good since Sian.

I think SB is doing exactly what he did on ED ruining the characters, changing personalities and putting together the oddest pairings...Maurel! anyone I rest my case, high ratings mean nothing when it just hides the rot and shit storylines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Corrie certainly is changing. Gone are the days when most of the characters were basically nice people, now all we have is EE style random nastiness and shouting.

I agree
    The last thing Corrie needs is to be anything like EE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I don't particularly dislike any of the Corrie characters (with the exception of uber brat Faye) and I know that when a character has had a big storyline they are generally 'rested' for a few weeks afterwards to allow the actor a break but it does seem that there is a lot of over-exposure going on at the moment with the character of Tina. Never normally seen to have anything to do with Peter but now they're going to start an affair, they're chatting in every scene. Starting a bizarre fued with Tracy Barlow. Central to Tommy's poor exit storyline. Sticking her nose in to the Platt family storyline by putting David up. Not to mention in loads of minor scenes due to being a barmaid. Maybe they're getting their moneys worth out of her before the contract expires or maybe they can't be bothered to write for anyone else at the moment until they have cast their next 'hot barmaid'?
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loathe Hayley, Gloria, Stella and Tina if that is any help to you.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Absolutely loathe Hayley, Gloria, Stella and Tina if that is any help to you.

You missed out Leanne
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Benllech wrote: »
    Good riddance to Stella, less of her the better.

Couldn't agree more. She just can't act :rolleyes:
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hadn't watched CS for a while as I don't like the Hayley story....but happened to catch most of it the other night....God Hayley was so nasty to poor Roy...I wanted to smack her Friday night! Why oh why does SB have to change characters personalities..Hayley used to be my favourite...now I wish she had already left! Get him out of there before he changes the nations most loved soap!
  • s.mouses.mouse Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Anna Windass is another character being ruined by over exposure! I can't remember a week when she didn't appear mouthing off at people. At least we had a small break from Tina this week.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

This was an issue in Emmerdale a couple of years ago and I am beginning to think that Stuart Blackburn is the common link.

To the specific OP, yes over exposure will damage even the best character, especially if they are being shoe horned into plots and having to act out of character to fit the story line.
  • Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap_Queen wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. She just can't act :rolleyes:

Why don't more people notice this?

I've always loved Roy & Hayley but I've stopped paying much attention to what's going on these last few weeks. Not looking forward to the storyline playing itself out over Christmas and thoroughly fed up of Roy's overbearing intensity.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doll Feet wrote: »
    I've always loved Roy & Hayley but I've stopped paying much attention to what's going on these last few weeks. Not looking forward to the storyline playing itself out over Christmas and thoroughly fed up of Roy's overbearing intensity.

I used to love Roy and Hayley, but evil Blackbum has turned them into horrible, nasty people. I know people facing imminent death in soaps and in real life don't turn overnight into saints and being in agony both mental and physical is hard both on and off screen, but surely there is some happy medium. Blackbum does this all the time, ruining good steady characters just for his own amusement I think, see what he did to Emmerdale. He certainly isn't doing it for the good of the show. He comes in and acts like the terminator, ruining the show and then TPTB just move him on to ruin another show. Beats me how he gets away with it.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Roy and Hayley, but evil Blackbum has turned them into horrible, nasty people. I know people facing imminent death in soaps and in real life don't turn overnight into saints and being in agony both mental and physical is hard both on and off screen, but surely there is some happy medium. Blackbum does this all the time, ruining good steady characters just for his own amusement I think, see what he did to Emmerdale. He certainly isn't doing it for the good of the show. He comes in and acts like the terminator, ruining the show and then TPTB just move him on to ruin another show. Beats me how he gets away with it.:mad:

Its as if he has run out of ideas of what to do with Roy and Hayley and letting them argue for weeks
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These two episodes have been dire tonight, think I'll give it a rest watching if it's going to be this bad :mad:
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »

BIB she's been vile to him since their trip away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    These two episodes have been dire tonight, think I'll give it a rest watching if it's going to be this bad :mad:

Have to agree, that was so drab words almost fail me.