Korean Movies

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    jdm271541 wrote: »
    'The Man from Nowhere'

Koreans make great ganster movies and this is another one to add to that list.

Just watched this film. Loved it.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that clip, Host 2 looks great. One I didn't see mentioned in this thread is The Yellow Sea, an absolutely amazing thriller.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A recent South Korean film called R2B: RETURN TO BASE played in a couple of theaters in New York City a couple of months ago. Although it's a remake of an earlier Korean film - it's basically a Korean TOP GUN. I haven't seen it yet but the trailer looks pretty darn good. Aerial battles over a Korean city? Hell yeah! Here's the trailer LINK.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I winced at the dog scenes in The Yellow Sea. I agree it's a great film, though.

I need to update that film list I wrote over a year ago as I have found more good SK films since then. I think I'll do that this weekend. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    A recent South Korean film called R2B: RETURN TO BASE played in a couple of theaters in New York City a couple of months ago. Although it's a remake of an earlier Korean film - it's basically a Korean TOP GUN. I haven't seen it yet but the trailer looks pretty darn good. Aerial battles over a Korean city? Hell yeah! Here's the trailer LINK.

I wish they didn't have Rain as the leading actor, though. He can't act to save his life. He should stick to his day job (think Justin Timberlake).
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    'The Man from Nowhere' is a great film :) Recently got 'The Chaser' and also am after 'The Yellow Sea' but not seen that one yet :D
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the devil was just a slick and sick film

There is a new one coming up from Kim Ki Duk called Pieta.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    Can't remember the title of this Korean film but I remember the scene where this gangster's henchman punishes his victim, Deliverance style, in a multistorey car park. After business is done, he kills him!!
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently seen a movie called The Man from Nowhere. It was really good.
    Bichunmoo is a good movie if you like a mix of action and romance.
    All the Vengeance movies are a must watch. (Lady Vengeance is my fave)
    R-Point a good horror type movie
    Momento Mori horror that looks at same sex relatinships

And movies I've not seen but have been recomended to me and on my to watch list.
    Welcome to Dongmakgol
    JSA (Joint Security Area)

and then there is Doggy Poo. A short animated movie about you guess what.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    and then there is Doggy Poo. A short animated movie about you guess what.

Aww nuts! I can't believe I'm going to mention this but here goes...

There's another animated film from South Korea called AACHI & SSIPAK (it's around 90 minutes long!). This film is waaaaaaay out there. A friend loaned me this film a few years ago, not telling me what it's about - other than it's animated. He also made me promise not to look it up before I watch it. So I was clueless. Then I watched it. And then I wanted to kill him afterward. :D

The clean version of the plot: In the future, when people defecate, their feces are used for fuel. They are given Juicy Bars to defecate more. It's all about poo with a message concerning energy. The humor is adult and juvenile. I guess it's now my turn to traumatize someone else with this film. But you can blame my friend. :D

Here's the trailer: LINK
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww nuts! I can't believe I'm going to mention this but here goes...

There's another animated film from South Korea called AACHI & SSIPAK (it's around 90 minutes long!). This film is waaaaaaay out there. A friend loaned me this film a few years ago, not telling me what it's about - other than it's animated. He also made me promise not to look it up before I watch it. So I was clueless. Then I watched it. And then I wanted to kill him afterward. :D

The clean version of the plot: In the future, when people defecate, their feces are used for fuel. They are given Juicy Bars to defecate more. It's all about poo with a message concerning energy. The humor is adult and juvenile. I guess it's now my turn to traumatize someone else with this film. But you can blame my friend. :D

Here's the trailer: LINK

That sounds and looks disturbing. I'm almost tempted to watch it on Youtube. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't seen a lot of Korean or Japanese movies, but I am a massive fan of Oldboy - one of my top 10 films. Brilliant photography, uncomfortable performances, challenging storyline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Castaway on the Moon is a good Korean movie about a young guy who gets stranded on an island right next to a big city. It's sort of a romance as a girl starts sending him messages in a bottle.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member

There's also prequel (well, kind of a prequel. "My Sassy Girl" fans are still debating it :) ). Anyway it's called "Windswept". Tears will flow when you watch this one so prepare yourself and have a box of tissues ready by your side.)

Can't find windswept anywhere, do you have any linksnpls?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find windswept anywhere, do you have any linksnpls?

I just found out that the film goes by the more popular name WINDSTRUCK. The name difference is not unusual for foreign films. The one that I watched on one of the Korean channel here in the US was called WINDSWEPT but they both appear to be the same film. A google search for WINDSTRUCK will put you on the right track. ;)

And there's a website called YESASIA that sells many Asian films online. I never used them before so I don't know how reliable they are when it comes to customer service. The film is mostly out of print but you can find some copies of it there. But make sure that they have the right subtitles - unless you understand Korean, Chinese and Japanese. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ :confused: The English title has always been Windstruck. I wonder why that US Korean channel changed the title?

YESASIA is good, but the downside is it takes so bloody long to deliver. I bought four Japanese novels for my grandmother and it took YESASIA seven weeks to deliver them. I read somewhere that they don't have warehouses for most stuff they stock. Their sources are regular suppliers around Asia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    ^^ :confused: The English title has always been Windstruck. I wonder why that US Korean channel changed the title?

It happens quite a bit. For instance there's a 16 episode Korean TV drama that I watched a couple of years ago on one of the channels called LADY CASTLE. It turns out that that same drama had 4 other different English titles: TAKE CARE OF MY LADY / TAKE CARE OF AGASSI / MY FAIR LADY / TAKE CARE OF MY FAIR LADY. I don't know why there's so many different titles for that one TV program. It was pretty good too if you're into TV romantic comedies. :D