Options

Which?: iPhone 5 is 'slowest smartphone'

Comments

• Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    If people are acting as if "there is no benefit" from increasing screen size from 4" to "4.8, then what was the point of Apple even bothering to go from 3.5" to 4"? :confused:

If these people are so adamant that larger screens have no additional benefits, then what exactly is the benefit of the iPhone 5? Using that logic, Apple should have stuck to their guns and stayed at 3.5".

Well actually iPhone 4 and 4s sales are still incredibly strong still so maybe some don't see the benefit of the bigger screen of the iPhone 5.

I wish fan boys like you could understand that people have different preferences and it's good that there is such a lot of completion between the different brands as it benefits the consumer and you have the choice.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    If you have reasons to wish a smaller screen i.e. phone size fair enough but to argue against the benefits of a larger screen as kidspud for example did is clearly ludicrous and shows a total lack of objectivity in favour of ones own bias.

My original point was given the actual and marginal size difference in the ace2 and s4 as phones I see no logical reason you would not wish to accommodate an s4, to which you replied with cinema screen references.

I did not argue against the benefits, I stated what I thought the benefits were.

And your marginal size was a 3/4 increase in size, so not so marginal.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Well actually iPhone 4 and 4s sales are still incredibly strong still so maybe some don't see the benefit of the bigger screen of the iPhone 5.

I wish fan boys like you could understand that people have different preferences and it's good that there is such a lot of completion between the different brands as it benefits the consumer and you have the choice.

I think you need to review the thread and find where I said nobody is allowed to like small screen devices. It is actually other users trying to discredit larger screen devices as "having no additional benefit", that I have an issue with. Unlike you it seems, I don't have an issue with people's personal preferences, but I do take issue when people berate others for their personal preferences, despite them doing the same thing.

Those that have upgraded from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 are exactly the same as those who have upgraded from a Galaxy S2 to a Galaxy S4 in that they have both chosen devices with screen size increases. There is an element of hypocrisy from Apple users in this thread. :)

As for your last sentence about consumer choice and preference, perhaps you should inform Apple of that, as they haven't seemed to have grasped that concept. :o
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

What has anyone saying their is a distinct benefit to a larger screen got to do with being a fan boy exactly?

The benefit of a larger screen cannot be argued against well only by what you describe as fan boys. However there are in some cases a downside for some in a larger screen as it may be a larger phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

rands as it benefits the consumer and you have the choice.

Sales of android phones with 4" and below screen sizes are also strong (although trying to find a good phone is difficult), so I'm not sure where these views are coming from.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe so but, to sit and pick at me calling me rude when pretty much every poster on this thread has been rude at some point is frankly out of order!

Just seems a bit petty to me...

What is telling to me is that sometimes I read a post without noticing who the author is. When I see rudeness I think to myself "that must be Stiggles" and two times out of three I am right. Call it coincidence if you like.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    If you have reasons to wish a smaller screen i.e. phone size fair enough but to argue against the benefits of a larger screen as kidspud for example did is clearly ludicrous and shows a total lack of objectivity in favour of ones own bias.

My original point was given the actual and marginal size difference in the ace2 and s4 as phones I see no logical reason you would not wish to accommodate an s4, to which you replied with cinema screen references.

The point of the reference to the tv and cinema screen references was simply to highlight the relative marginal benefit you get between different phone sizes.

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with people having a preference for a larger screen. What I object to is the idea that anyone who disagrees for perfectly valid reasons, being told that what they are saying is moronic or idiotic or stupid.

For example:

"Its normally a pointless argument put across by moronic apple users in a idiotic attempt to put down bigger screen phones."
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Sales of android phones with 4" and below screen sizes are also strong (although trying to find a good phone is difficult), so I'm not sure where these views are coming from.

Finding a good one is hard?? Care to explain that one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    What is telling to me is that sometimes I read a post without noticing who the author is. When I see rudeness I think to myself "that must be Stiggles" and two times out of three I am right. Call it coincidence if you like.

No you don't....

Anyway can we get back on topic instead of this absurd nonsense before it gets closed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    The point of the reference to the tv and cinema screen references was simply to highlight the relative marginal benefit you get between different phone sizes.

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with people having a preference for a larger screen. What I object to is the idea that anyone who disagrees for perfectly valid reasons, being told that what they are saying is moronic or idiotic or stupid.

For example:

"Its normally a pointless argument put across by moronic apple users in a idiotic attempt to put down bigger screen phones."

There is no valid reason too disagree with someone's preference to a bigger screen. What I said is an accurate account of what happens from some rabid apple fans anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finding a good one is hard?? Care to explain that one?

It goes back to a point I made earlier. I wish there were more "premium" phones available with smaller screens (and smaller overall size). I thought the S3 mini was going to be that phone, but it turned out to be an expensive exploitation of the S3 name. The S4 mini is as bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It goes back to a point I made earlier. I wish there were more "premium" phones available with smaller screens (and smaller overall size). I thought the S3 mini was going to be that phone, but it turned out to be an expensive exploitation of the S3 name. The S4 mini is as bad.

Ah got you now! Yeah i agree.

My nana is looking for a new phone just now and she likes high end ones. She doesn't like the huge screens like i do so is struggling to find a decent small one. The only 81 year old i know that wants a high end phone!
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For example:

The benifit of a larger screen might be marginal (but it isn't) but what is the benifit of a smaller screen? Unless you have really small pockets all devices from the Galaxy Note 2 down will fit in them. There is a question about what is the maximum size you can use on handed but that will be different for everyone. So it is the advantages of smaller screens are that marginal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no valid reason too disagree with someone's preference to a bigger screen. What I said is an accurate account of what happens from some rabid apple fans anywhere.

From where I'm standing, the discussion often goes like this:

"Bigger screens are better."

"I prefer a smaller screen."

"That's stupid - why would you prefer a smaller screen?"

"Because its already big enough for pretty much everything, plus it means I can more comfortably use it with one hand."

"That's a pointless argument put across by moronic apple users in a idiotic attempt to put down bigger screen phones."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The benifit of a larger screen might be marginal (but it isn't) but what is the benifit of a smaller screen? Unless you have really small pockets all devices from the Galaxy Note 2 down will fit in them. There is a question about what is the maximum size you can use on handed but that will be different for everyone. So it is the advantages of smaller screens are that marginal.

I think if we're talking about the difference between 4" and 4.8", usually in reference to things most commonly done on far larger screens, then the benefit is pretty marginal.

What sort of things can you do on a 4.8" screen that is significantly enhanced by that extra 0.8"?

I think for anyone who doesn't have particularly large hands, once you get up to around 5" it becomes pretty uncomfortable to use with one hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure how you can say that. I wear jeans and when out I have my phone (ace 2) in my front pocket and it stays there. I can still feel that phone in my pocket and would not want anything bigger. A note 2 would be ridicules.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

For example:

You keep saying marginal for some reason however a 50% increase in screen size over the i5 to s4 is not marginal and offers huge benefits for anyone to argue against this is simply ridiculous. It is not a matter of personal preference at all.

The fact you may not wish to have the small increase in phone size is personal preference which is a separate issue. However for some people to make silly statements that a larger screen offers no real benefits shows how bias and entrenched some people are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From where I'm standing, the discussion often goes like this:

"Bigger screens are better."

"I prefer a smaller screen."

"That's stupid - why would you prefer a smaller screen?"

"Because its already big enough for pretty much everything, plus it means I can more comfortably use it with one hand."

"That's a pointless argument put across by moronic apple users in a idiotic attempt to put down bigger screen phones."

And from where i stand i see:-

"I prefer a bigger screen on my phone. For me 4.5" is perfect"

"no, apple make the perfect size at 3.5". Bigger screens are pointless and cant be used with one hand."

"erm, yes they can."

"no they can't, any evidence to show they can"

Apple then brings out a 4" iphone.

" I still prefer the bigger screen."

"no, apple have no got it perfect. The 4" odd ratio screen is the best screen on the market.

etc etc etc. Hence the moronic apple user comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if we're talking about the difference between 4" and 4.8", usually in reference to things most commonly done on far larger screens, then the benefit is pretty marginal.

What sort of things can you do on a 4.8" screen that is significantly enhanced by that extra 0.8"?

I think for anyone who doesn't have particularly large hands, once you get up to around 5" it becomes pretty uncomfortable to use with one hand.

The difference in screen real estate between a 4" and 4,8" screen is about 43%. That is a lot of extra screen to play with. You can fit a lot of extra info onto a big screen when browsing the web or reading feeds. For people with big hands the on screen buttons are easier to hit and for people with poor eyes the text can be larger. Gaming also benifits. There is no correct answer just personal preference. I have owned a Galaxy Note but got rid of that. I loved the screen but the weight got to me as I do a lot of running and it was difficult to accomodate it - and I also like to change my phones. I have a Nexus 4 now but I find that screen to small - 5" and 1080p for me next I think.
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slowest in terms of benchmark tests....

However, 99.9% of people don't use their phone that way.

It's a nonsense report quite frankly and totally irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you can say that. I wear jeans and when out I have my phone (ace 2) in my front pocket and it stays there. I can still feel that phone in my pocket and would not want anything bigger. A note 2 would be ridicules.

I can say it because it is true for me and I would guess the millions who have bought the two incarnations of the Note. I had the original Note and that was fine in normal clothes but the weight meant it had to mush momentum when running. It all depends on our own use scenario. We all need to accept that different opinions are available for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebtman wrote: »
    Slowest in terms of benchmark tests....

However, 99.9% of people don't use their phone that way.

It's a nonsense report quite frankly and totally irrelevant.

What do you mean "don't use their phone that way"?

I agree that benchmarks are artificial but they are the best thing we have like 0-60 times and mpg figures for cars. They give an indication of what to expect.

Yes the iPhone 5 was the slowest of those tested. That does not mean in absolute terms that it is slow. However it is useful to note that when buying the iP5 you are not getting the best possible hardware on the market. But why would you expect that in a 9 month old device anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference in screen real estate between a 4" and 4,8" screen is about 43%. That is a lot of extra screen to play with. You can fit a lot of extra info onto a big screen when browsing the web or reading feeds. For people with big hands the on screen buttons are easier to hit and for people with poor eyes the text can be larger. Gaming also benifits. There is no correct answer just personal preference. I have owned a Galaxy Note but got rid of that. I loved the screen but the weight got to me as I do a lot of running and it was difficult to accomodate it - and I also like to change my phones. I have a Nexus 4 now but I find that screen to small - 5" and 1080p for me next I think.

I absolutely agree its personal preference, but I still think the benefit is marginal. Its not as though there are parts of web pages that can't be read on a 4" screen. You can make the text larger on a 4" screen too. :p The reader view in Safari in iOS7 is excellent.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think you need to review the thread and find where I said nobody is allowed to like small screen devices. It is actually other users trying to discredit larger screen devices as "having no additional benefit", that I have an issue with. Unlike you it seems, I don't have an issue with people's personal preferences, but I do take issue when people berate others for their personal preferences, despite them doing the same thing.

Those that have upgraded from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 are exactly the same as those who have upgraded from a Galaxy S2 to a Galaxy S4 in that they have both chosen devices with screen size increases. There is an element of hypocrisy from Apple users in this thread. :)

As for your last sentence about consumer choice and preference, perhaps you should inform Apple of that, as they haven't seemed to have grasped that concept. :o

I actually have a nexus 4 the perfect size for my preference, but some people prefer the smaller size phones. I have no brand loyalty I'll just get the phone I think is the best value and works best for me. The iPhones are still very good though and work smoother than most Androids imo. To me a fan boy is someone who will bash one brand and always praise the other and twist all facts to suit the agenda and you give me that impression. Why you want to do this on a phone I've no idea unless you have personal shares in Google or Samsung.

Personally I think any phone is pretty useless for watching a film or anything longer than 5 minutes long, at least in any sort of enjoyable way.

I don't know if you noticed but the emergence of Android is now giving Apple real completion and that can only be a good thing for the consumer. They have a different philosophy to Android so you pays your money and makes your choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree its personal preference, but I still think the benefit is marginal. Its not as though there are parts of web pages that can't be read on a 4" screen. You can make the text larger on a 4" screen too. :p The reader view in Safari in iOS7 is excellent.

Hoenstly browsing is one are where a bigger screen kills a smaller screen. You can fit 43% more of the page in the above example. That is more than a marginal benifit.