Why are vegans full of themselves?

Comments

• UIRUIR Posts: 2,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    No, of course not.

If you want me to say "yes I understand why some people have a problem with vegans, because some can be full on", why should I?

The fact is, I've never once had a vegan preach to me, but I have had meat eaters taunt me and even wave a burger in my face, because I'm a veggie. Does that mean I should dislike all meat eaters? Well, I'd have to dump my best mate in that case.

Well obviously no vegan has tried to convert you, you are a vegan lite :D

I think you are kidding yourself personally but its only my opinion.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    UIR wrote: »
    Vegans posting here, how do you get your B12? Injection? Tablet?

No plant can provide it, none at all. Anyone who claims it can is lying, it cannot.

Thats why there is Vegemite!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    how many species of animals would go extinct if they were not ultimately for the food chain? theres no need for any animal in a total vegan system but i do wonder if veganism goes as far as the use of dead animals to produce oil for petrol etc or is there a limit?

You know what an ecosystem is, right? You can't just have plants and trees (which are kind of vital) without animals of some kind. Doesn't work. Who pollinates the flowers, for a start?

Aside from which, there's no "need" for tons of stuff. Humans, animals, oxygen... I mean, Mars does OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's impossible to get away from the fact that eating meat involves killing . For a person who values all living creatures equally, I can understand why they would consider it murder.
    To promote the non killing of animals is surely not something to be considered as inappropriate .

All living creatures are not equal.

People who make this claim do not understand that beyond the animals and plants we can see are trillions of micro organisms.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ones I know are fine, can even have a laugh about it.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    You don't necessarily have to eat meat now, but we wouldn't be where we are today without having eaten meat in the past as part of our diet.

That's true enough.
    It's interesting how far the pendulum has swung though.
    If you go back to even my mother's generation, meat was seen as quite a luxury in ordinary working class homes. Mum's main diet as a child was vegetable broth (all veg grown in the garden), and bread. That was staple daily fare and probably very good for you.
    The fishman came once a week so you had fish that day (no fridges so you had it fresh), meat on sunday and once midweek.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    I for one have learned to accept the undesputed moral superiority of our vegan overlords. They have shown us an image of perfection that many, indeed almost all of us, can only hope to attain. Thanyou vegans... thankyou for your sacrifice!!!!
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I don't agree sorry. If anything I reckon a person removing meat from their diet would be very attentive to making sure they substitute wisely for that removal.

Do you think all people who do eat meat do so in a balanced way? I try to these days - by eating meat about twice or three times a week, fish twice and the rest just veg, grains and pulses.
    Many meat eaters eat meat twice or three times a day, and often it's processed bacon, sausages, burgers, nuggets and other shite.

So unless you can prove to me that all meat eaters are eating the ideal amount of meat, the right kind of meat, and with ideal frequency, you cannot really judge vegetarians.

That's basically my dad's diet. The only veggie preaching I do to him is "dad, please eat a tad healthier" He's tall and thin, so naturally, his diet must be fine :(
  • GeneralMayhemGeneralMayhem Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I know several, never noticed any of this, perhaps its an age thing. Younger peeps are a bit more full on about this kind of thing.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

People who make this claim do not understand that beyond the animals and plants we can see are trillions of micro organisms.

This is true, obligate carnivores are top of the food chain, we are somewhere in the middle. behind hippos and mosquitoes. take away weapons, level the playing field and we are probably equal with rabbits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well obviously no vegan has tried to convert you, you are a vegan lite :D

I think you are kidding yourself personally but its only my opinion.

No, that was back when I stopped admitting I was a vegetarian. My vegan friends didn't know I was one for quite a while. You know why I stopped? I got fed up of the stupid questions and sly jabs.

Why don't you stop kidding yourself and just own up to starting a thread purely to slag off vegans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for marmnite/vegimite..... can anyone prove conclusively that its a good source because its something I have come across and theres no real evidence to support the claim.

B12 is different to other vitamins in that its created inside an animals digestive system. So I am interested in any information people have. B12 comes from the soil that grass eating animals eat when grazing. The vitamin itself is produced within the intestinal tract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    This is true, obligate carnivores are top of the food chain, we are somewhere in the middle. behind hippos and mosquitoes. take away weapons, level the playing field and we are probably equal with rabbits.

With or without weapons we would defeat all and any animal threat.

We didnt use weapons to kill our first animals. we set traps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's basically my dad's diet. The only veggie preaching I do to him is "dad, please eat a tad healthier" He's tall and thin, so naturally, his diet must be fine :(

Balanced diets. eating meat all day, everyday is as bad as eating anything all day, everyday.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With or without weapons we would defeat all and any animal threat.

We didnt use weapons to kill our first animals. we set traps.

That's "using weapons". That's using tools to harm. Which is pretty much what a weapon is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    That's true enough.
    It's interesting how far the pendulum has swung though.
    If you go back to even my mother's generation, meat was seen as quite a luxury in ordinary working class homes. Mum's main diet as a child was vegetable broth (all veg grown in the garden), and bread. That was staple daily fare and probably very good for you.
    The fishman came once a week so you had fish that day (no fridges so you had it fresh), meat on sunday and once midweek.

This is more a class issue tbh. Was this during rationing as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    That's "using weapons". That's using tools to harm. Which is pretty much what a weapon is.

I would call it intelligence.

The trap could be a branch pulled down from a tree. It doesn't have to be sophisticated. nature provides much for us after all.
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are plenty of people who would die if they didn't eat meat or fish. Those living on remote atolls or in deserts for example.

We have the choice to be veggie or vegan here and some vegans can be a bit superior about that choice. They are right in a way because it is cruel for those not living in the aforementioned environments to slaughter animals, however you look at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that was back when I stopped admitting I was a vegetarian. My vegan friends didn't know I was one for quite a while. You know why I stopped? I got fed up of the stupid questions and sly jabs.

Why don't you stop kidding yourself and just own up to starting a thread purely to slag off vegans.

I can slag off vegans to vegans who preach it. Just as I would with anyone else, religion, fashion, politics etc. But that is not why I made this thread. A few have now posted that they know vegans who arent like this and that is good. I support people having choices and doing their own thing but I dont support people preaching their choices to others.

I haven't suggested anyone go eat a steak have I? Nor will I.

As for sly jabs.... "smelly vegan eat a burger" v "child abusing murderer"

which one strikes you as worse?
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Clearly not everyone agrees with you. Do you think a cow is a sentient being ?
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »

Isn't having an advanced brain and insight just the equivalent of having big claws?
    Same end, different means.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Isn't having an advanced brain and insight just the equivalent of having big claws?
    Same end, different means.

Well we can settle that in a cage with you and a fully grown lion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly not everyone agrees with you. Do you think a cow is a sentient being ?

Yes.

And those who dont agree are wrong. Its not debatable so they can and do waste their energy trying....

I usually just throw 'aids virus' or rats (and all the nice things they carry) at them and they soon shut up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can slag off vegans to vegans who preach it. Just as I would with anyone else, religion, fashion, politics etc. But that is not why I made this thread. A few have now posted that they know vegans who arent like this and that is good. I support people having choices and doing their own thing but I dont support people preaching their choices to others.

I haven't suggested anyone go eat a steak have I? Nor will I.

As for sly jabs.... "smelly vegan eat a burger" v "child abusing murderer"

which one strikes you as worse?

I didn't say anything about sly jabs from you. I was talking about sly jabs from people I know irl, which is why I stopped admitting to being veggie and would even deny it occasionally.

Child abusing murderer? Is that a quote from Morrissey? He's one vegan and I've never in my life, heard any other say anything that bad.

If we're going to compare though, let's compare it "vegans should be shot", which is something I've heard more than once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Well we can settle that in a cage with you and a fully grown lion.

Technically man would have put the lion in the cage so man wins.