Another problem with new laptop

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,976
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Since I got my new laptop I've noticed that videos linked to on sites like the BBC, newspapers and so on don't work...........

Here's an example.............the kitten video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23261505

When I click on 'play' I get a notice..........'Internet explorer has stopped working...........a problem caused the program to stop working. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'

This happens pretty much every time I click on a link from DS to a video............except on YouTube which works fine

Windows 8

Does anyone recognise this as being something simple like me needing to tick a box somewhere to enable videos to play ?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try uninstalling Abobe Flash player.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Try uninstalling Abobe Flash player.

If I did that would YouTube still work ?..............:o
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Is your flash up to date?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just looked at my list of programs in Control Panel and I don't appear to have Adobe Flash Player.............the only Adobe listed is Adobe Reader X1

Might it be the case that those BBC videos only play if you have the Flash Player ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ps.............as I said before YouTube works fine..........does that not need the Flash Player ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused now............:p

I've been to Adobe and run the check and it tells me I have Adobe 11.7.700.224.................although as I said before it's not in my list of Programs

Apparently there is a later version - Adobe 12.8.800.94 so I'll have a go at updating later today..............:)

Thanks guys !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused now............:p

I've been to Adobe and run the check and it tells me I have Adobe 11.7.700.224.................although as I said before it's not in my list of Programs

Apparently there is a later version - Adobe 12.8.800.94 so I'll have a go at updating later today..............:)

Thanks guys !

11.8.800.94 is the latest. In Win 8, you should have the IE10 app automatically updated.

You will need to add 11.8.800.94 to the desktop IE10

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

set it to allow automatic updates from Adobe when installing. This is the version that will appear in Programs and Features.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I'm just going round in circles here................

The adobe page says 'Note: Flash Player is integrated with Internet Explorer in Windows 8. It's unnecessary to install Flash Player'

and there doesn't appear to be a link to click on to manually download the new version

Do I need to check a box somewhere in Control Panel to allow/instruct IE to download the latest version and keep updating as and when ?

I can't find where I might do this............:o
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered trying another browser other then IE10. e.g. Google Chrome?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Turn on compatibility view and retry the video...Or, disable your addons one by one to see if one of those is the culprit....
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet Explorer prior to V10 needed a separate installation of its own special version of Adobe Flash Player. Downloading from Adobe's web site with IE caused that version to be downloaded.

It seems that IE10 has Adobe Flash Player integrated within it, so presumably it will be kept up-to-date through IE updates installed via Windows Update.

Firefox needs its own separate installation of Adobe Flash Player. Again, visit Adobe's web site with Firefox to download that version. Updates have to be performed manually and in my experience it's best to uninstall the old version before installing the new version, rather than try to update it. The installer program that you download intentionally deletes itself as soon as it starts to run. During the installation procedure be sure to untick any unwanted junkware such as McAfee, Yahoo Toolbar, etc.

Google Chrome has Adobe Flash Player integrated within it, and kept up-to-date through Chrome's own updating system.

With IE version prior to 10 and Firefox installed, two copies of Adobe Flash Player were listed in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, which was rather confusing.
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, I'm just going round in circles here................

The adobe page says 'Note: Flash Player is integrated with Internet Explorer in Windows 8. It's unnecessary to install Flash Player'

and there doesn't appear to be a link to click on to manually download the new version

Do I need to check a box somewhere in Control Panel to allow/instruct IE to download the latest version and keep updating as and when ?

I can't find where I might do this............:o

It is updated via Windows Update. You'll find it in Control Panel > System and security. Check for updates and then install.
    The IE10 flash update is KB2857645, but there will probably be lots of security updates as well as this months patch Tuesday was this week.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Use a different browser. I recommend Chrome or Firefox. Both of them are better than IE10.
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Use a different browser. I recommend Chrome or Firefox. Both of them are better than IE10.

That's not true anymore imho. Windows 8 IE10 with enhanced protected mode turned on is as safe as they come and runs very well indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not getting into the better/worse debate, but using a different browser might well solve the problem with Adobe Flash Player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, cheers guys...........

I went on to Firefox and the kitten video wouldn't play there either.............but at least on that one they told me that I needed the latest version of Adobe and gave me a link to download it, which I did.

The video now works on Firefox but still doesn't play on IE10

I think I'll give up now..............on the rare occasion that I want to play an embedded video I'll just open up Firefox
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the kitten video
    Is that a typo? Don't you mean the Kittel video? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Is that a typo? Don't you mean the Kittel video? :)

no, I meant the furry ginger thing.............

Oh, hang on...............:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, cheers guys...........

I went on to Firefox and the kitten video wouldn't play there either.............but at least on that one they told me that I needed the latest version of Adobe and gave me a link to download it, which I did.

The video now works on Firefox but still doesn't play on IE10

I think I'll give up now..............on the rare occasion that I want to play an embedded video I'll just open up Firefox

When video won't play, click the wrench and use the desktop mode. Apparently the incompatibility is due the compatibility mode whitelist (Microsoft).

Both versions of IE10 are now automatically updated by MS (I'm using Win 8.1 Preview and IE11, ATM).

Sorry for the incorrect information earlier about the installer. It's been a while since I used the Win 8 Customer Preview, IIRC that would have been the case back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm being a bit of a dumbo but where is the wrench ?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    no, I meant the furry ginger thing.............

Oh, hang on...............:p

*ahem* Just what have you been watching? :D
    Anjomo wrote: »
    That's not true anymore imho. Windows 8 IE10 with enhanced protected mode turned on is as safe as they come and runs very well indeed.

I don't know. Chrome seems to be pretty good these days and I heard Opera is good as well. FF isn't bad but it has become a RAM hog lately, even on a Mac.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *ahem* Just what have you been watching? :D
    Sorry, it was an in joke about a rider in the Tour de France, the OP often posts in that thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    C'mon guys..............where's this wrench that I have to click on ?

:o:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK............I've got it now..............the wrench is on the page if you enter IE10 via the App on the Start page............

which I don't !

I always go to desktop first and proceed from there..........

So I'm already 'Viewing on Desktop'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried going into IE via the App tile on Start............and the video played on there !

The only trouble with that is that once you're on the BBC page there doesn't seem to be any way to navigate to another page................ie, back to DS or anywhere else

that's why I never use that App