Unwanted sex texts

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
Forum Member
My wife is getting pretty crude text messages from 89149

we are worried about texting stop to this number as it might charge us the premium rate or worse deluge us with more texts

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated thanks :)

Comments

• topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    contact your service provider and get them blocked
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see this weeks watchdog? these texts seem to be coming via a company called "opera" more info here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/consumer/consumer_20060221.shtml
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    I had a similar problem but with my landline being billed for tons of numbers I hadn't dialled reported it to the phone company and they've banned the number and reimbursed me the money so thats my advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    thanks guys I'll get them blocked, hopefully
    Forum Member
    Just read the article and it's definitley opera

what my wife has been doing is voting on x factor that sort of thing I think i'll complain to ICSTIS too
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These incoming premium text messages are a huge problem. My mate had to cancel his phone contrat and is still in dispute for £120 over messages he never signed up for.

Why cant the mobile phone operators do more. Could they not send a warning text along the lines of.. We have received an incoming premium text from xyz. Accepting this will cost £1.50 for each text received from this number. Do you want to allow texts from this number? Y/N

If you reply Y then that number is allowed to text you, if you reply N it is perminantly blocked. Simpe enough given the amount of people getting ripped off.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Would it be crass of me to ask what they said???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote:
    Would it be crass of me to ask what they said???

YES ..............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    working for o2 we get a lot of calls like this everyday, if you say ya wife has voted on xfactor then more often than not the terms of that provider say by txting them u agree for them to pass your details to 'selected' 3rd parties. it is very rare that these txts are sent to your phone by coincedence, theses operators cant just pick a random number and think, 'ooh lets txt mr smith cos we want to'.
    over 95% of the time these are requested by the phone user.
    there is a universal shortcode of STOP which all premier sms providers use to cancel the service so just txt the number that it comes from with the word STOP it will cost you the standard price of a txt outside you tariff (12p on o2) and that 'should' be the end of it.
    it isn't possible for o2 to stop this service coming to your handset nor is it possible to block one individual number from sending you sms. as soon as its received by the network to your sim then you are charged whether you read it or not.
    hope this info is of some use, bear in mind the above info relates to o2 i dont know about other networks but i presume they are the same if not similar.
    Forum Member
    What annoys me is that when you vote on X factor the return text will say please visit www.whatever for terms and conditions, not everyone has net access or can be bothered to read the T&C's because Text voting is meant to be quick and easy not complicated and abused by the operator

The likes of OPERA should be forced to ask for permission to use your number in the return text as now happens on web registrations, so that you would have to text back to them to give permission...

There's an idea, how do i suggest this to ICSTIS ?

**EDIT**
    Don't click on that link it's meant to be an example and it's come up as a link