Free optical disc checking?

Can someone recommend a free optical disc checking tool?

Backing-up to CD/DVD & Blu-ray discs.

How often would you recommend checking discs for errors?

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't say what you are backing up.

For large quantities of data, you are really are better off backing to an external USB hard disk or a USB pen drive (or both for extra integrity).

For modest amounts of data e.g. some photos, why not use a cloud solution e.g. google drive or dropbox. These are properly backed up so you can't lose the data.

No matter what you do with an optical disk, they are more easily damaged.

I am not sure about any disk checking tools, but as a rule, any decent optical writer software will write and then read back the copy to verify it has been properly copied.

Even then, a disk that reads on one PC may not read on another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're mainly video and music files, they're on a 4TB USB hard drive and I backed up to blu-ray (copied).
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Nero has some Tools to do Optical Disc checks similar to a HDD surface scan.
    Nero Discspeed
    http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads/
    I do a scan maybe every 5 years assuming they are stored reasonably well in plastic cases and in a box of some kind at a reasonable location i.e. where the temperature is reasonably constant, obviously not in a loft/garage.

Don't ignore your manufactured Optical Discs either, I have some where the label printing has affected the reflective layer within the disc itself. The active layer is closer to the label side.