The New Coronation Street Set

Comments

• DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the tram stop is in the area where
    the New York set was on the Granada Studios tour.

Looks interesting... was kind of hoping the houses backing
    onto Coronation Street (to hide the Granada building)
    would have been a full shell, rather than a facade.

Could've added some characters to the Street, with them living around the back.
    phill363 wrote: »
    http://binged.it/rEOHwr
    is this the area? its not verry clear though.
    The fake NYC street area of the old Granada Studios Tour, is also where the previous outdoor Corrie set
    was from 1968-1982. Based on that grainy aerial view, here's a rough diagram of the layout with a few
    coloured shapes. The long blue rectangle is the main terrace itself, the yellow block is where the old
    raincoat factory was, that got burned out in the 1970's, and became Baldwin's Casuals in the 80's.

The small green shape is where the old Glad Tidings Mission Hall was in the 1960's, where The Kabin
    and Kevin's garage are now. Although why the Mission Hall appeared to the left of the Rovers Return
    in the original end credits sequence, gawd knows! There must be a reason, however strange!

The little red arrow is aimed at the actual viaduct of the old set. A real viaduct too, (albeit disused
    when it was part of the Corrie set, but still real) unlike the fake one they've had up since 1982!
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    The fake NYC street area of the old Granada Studios Tour, is also where the previous outdoor Corrie set
    was from 1968-1982. Based on that grainy aerial view, here's a rough diagram of the layout with a few
    coloured shapes. The long blue rectangle is the main terrace itself, the yellow block is where the old
    raincoat factory was, that got burned out in the 1970's, and became Baldwin's Casuals in the 80's.

The small green shape is where the old Glad Tidings Mission Hall was in the 1960's, where The Kabin
    and Kevin's garage are now. Although why the Mission Hall appeared to the left of the Rovers Return
    in the original end credits sequence, gawd knows! There must be a reason, however strange!

The little red arrow is aimed at the actual viaduct of the old set. A real viaduct too, (albeit disused
    when it was part of the Corrie set, but still real) unlike the fake one they've had up since 1982!

Thanks for that.... wasn't the set moved from there because the cast and crew complained it was too cold?

In response to your credits remark; would it not be because the original Coronation Street was an indoor set and they had to erect it in two halves for when they wanted to film?
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I am quite disappointed that they are not taking the opportunity to add more areas onto the set. It has always felt very limited.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I am quite disappointed that they are not taking the opportunity to add more areas onto the set. It has always felt very limited.

There is areas marked for expansion

btw, this is what the original street was meant look like :p
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AzT5pruwnbg/TP6kgs08zWI/AAAAAAAAJKw/yvehRQ0hlK8/s1600/Corrie%2B1961.jpg
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant information and look forward to seeing the new set being constructed over the coming months. I was always under the assumption that the move would allow them to create the much needed town centre which has been rumoured for many years now. This would include a full police station, library, Freshcos, nightclub and also Bessie Street school.

From what I have seen of the Media City plans and site it doesn't look big enough to have any of these new areas which is a shame as it would give the producers and script writers much more scope for bigger S/Ls and new characters
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that I've missed this thread. Awesome work Pyramidbread and interesting discussion.

All of this work and what do we get ... another window upstairs on the Rovers? Are they for real?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Look at the upstairs windows on the plan and the pic :p

i HATE the new window on the rovers! its one of the worlds most recognized pubs! so many drawings and paintings of it and now they change it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i HATE the new window on the rovers! its one of the worlds most recognized pubs! so many drawings and paintings of it and now they change it!

It's so frustrating, isn't it?

The Corrie set team do so many things that just scream of 'what's the point?!'

We keep hearing that everyone at ITV is pressed for time and money ... but we still see stupid additions to sets (the two new windows in the main bar being my ultimate pet hates).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Pyramidbread.

Great stuff, very detailed. One comment you made on your blog has got me in 'nitpick' mode :)
    ...due to the conservatory that appeared a few years ago.

The conservatory at No.4 isn't new. It was installed by Mavis and Derek in the mid-90s, probably around 1995/96. They bought it from the Malletts at No.9 who had won it in a competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a look through the plans and it looks like the new set will occupy a similar area to the current one, so I don't think we'll see any changes in the scale of buildings or width of the street.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,639
    Forum Member
    Wow really interesting thread. Thanks for posting all of the pics Pyramidbread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »

Thanks for that.... wasn't the set moved from there because the cast and crew complained it was too cold?

In response to your credits remark; would it not be because the original Coronation Street was an indoor set and they had to erect it in two halves for when they wanted to film?

The end credits in question are an edited selection of shots taken on Archie Street and its surrounding areas. In reality, Archie Street had too many houses and didn't have a pub so the team had to 'create' Coronation Street from different bits of footage.

Looking quite closely, there's a cut between No.7. and No.5. (the brickwork doesn't match and No.5. is ever so slightly lighter) and possibly another between No.1. and the Rovers. I'm not sure.

However, a similar looking pub exterior was used in a 1964 episode. While there are slight differences in the pub (mainly number of windows and style) the glimpse of the house next to it fits the profile of No.1. and the general 'look' matches the Rovers we see in the 1960 credits. This could well have been the pub used in 1960. If so, I reckon the shot could have been continuous from No.5. to the Rovers.

Actually, there might even be a cut between the door of the Rovers and the section with the two windows and the tiled sign in the middle. This section would be taken from the other corner of the pub that we catch a brief glimpse of in the 1964 video. Very possible I think.

This would mean that there's another cut between the pub and the vestry. Where the vestry was filmed, I'm not sure. It could well be one of the buildings associated with St Clement's church, which still stands in Salford. Google Streetview might help with this one.

Either way, the 1960 credits are entirely fabricated so it's hard to know the reason why the vestry is where it is. The Mission was quickly established as being on t'other side of the street, opposite the corner shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end credits in question are an edited selection of shots taken on Archie Street and its surrounding areas. In reality, Archie Street had too many houses and didn't have a pub so the team had to 'create' Coronation Street from different bits of footage.

Looking quite closely, there's a cut between No.7. and No.5. (the brickwork doesn't match and No.5. is ever so slightly lighter) and possibly another between No.1. and the Rovers. I'm not sure.

However, a similar looking pub exterior was used in a 1964 episode. While there are slight differences in the pub (mainly number of windows and style) the glimpse of the house next to it fits the profile of No.1. and the general 'look' matches the Rovers we see in the 1960 credits. This could well have been the pub used in 1960. If so, I reckon the shot could have been continuous from No.5. to the Rovers.

Actually, there might even be a cut between the door of the Rovers and the section with the two windows and the tiled sign in the middle. This section would be taken from the other corner of the pub that we catch a brief glimpse of in the 1964 video. Very possible I think.

This would mean that there's another cut between the pub and the vestry. Where the vestry was filmed, I'm not sure. It could well be one of the buildings associated with St Clement's church, which still stands in Salford. Google Streetview might help with this one.

Either way, the 1960 credits are entirely fabricated so it's hard to know the reason why the vestry is where it is. The Mission was quickly established as being on t'other side of the street, opposite the corner shop.

That 1964 thing is interesting, I'll be putting that on the blog, crediting you for finding it of course :D
    Wow really interesting thread. Thanks for posting all of the pics Pyramidbread.

No problem :)
    I've had a look through the plans and it looks like the new set will occupy a similar area to the current one, so I don't think we'll see any changes in the scale of buildings or width of the street.

It's definately to life sized scale, its one of the main reasons ITV Studios credit to the move. The current street is filmed to look lifesize, but it is actually quite small (as you can notice when there is two cars on the street)
    Hi Pyramidbread.

Great stuff, very detailed. One comment you made on your blog has got me in 'nitpick' mode :)

The conservatory at No.4 isn't new. It was installed by Mavis and Derek in the mid-90s, probably around 1995/96. They bought it from the Malletts at No.9 who had won it in a competition.

I couldnt quite remember when it appeared :o cheers for telling me though :D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the new set plans look pretty much the same as the current one (the odd change aside) I'm still hoping that the buildings and Street itself will look more realistic when built anew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the new set plans look pretty much the same as the current one (the odd change aside) I'm still hoping that the buildings and Street itself will look more realistic when built anew.

I've always felt that it's the surrounding buildings that have spoilt the look of the set, rather than the terrace itself.

The set is just so cramped, I'm surprised that they still find ways of fitting new things into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always felt that it's the surrounding buildings that have spoilt the look of the set, rather than the terrace itself.

The set is just so cramped, I'm surprised that they still find ways of fitting new things into it.

I agree there, just looking at the surrounding area shows how ridiculous the current location for the set, basically its like a terrace row in the middle of Manhattan, where as the surrounding area on the new set looks like this, the biggest buildings nearby are across the Irwell, so they're not really a problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree there, just looking at the surrounding area shows how ridiculous the current location for the set, basically its like a terrace row in the middle of Manhattan, where as the surrounding area on the new set looks like this, the biggest buildings nearby are across the Irwell, so they're not really a problem

Yep.

In the mid-80s and early 90s the production team relished in getting the most out of the exterior set - we frequently saw long shots of the entire street and wide shots showing most of the structures of the houses.

Since 2000, as more and more buildings sprung up around Granada, Corrie has been more restricted in how it can film. We very rarely see above the upstairs of the houses and unbroken long shots (where there isn't a van or tree in the way) of the street are very rare.

What we get nowadays is endless medium close-ups that make the buildings look completely out of proportion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep.

In the mid-80s and early 90s the production team relished in getting the most out of the exterior set - we frequently saw long shots of the entire street and wide shots showing most of the structures of the houses.

Since 2000, as more and more buildings sprung up around Granada, Corrie has been more restricted in how it can film. We very rarely see above the upstairs of the houses and unbroken long shots (where there isn't a van or tree in the way) of the street are very rare.

What we get nowadays is endless medium close-ups that make the buildings look completely out of proportion.

Yep, the viaduct is the worst bit too, since there is meant to be another street on the otherside, but on the current set they have a big studio building and the Beetham Tower in view

Someone pointed out to me a change that I missed out
    http://i39.tinypic.com/10xzo1v.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, the viaduct is the worst bit too, since there is meant to be another street on the otherside, but on the current set they have a big studio building and the Beetham Tower in view

Someone pointed out to me a change that I missed out
    http://i39.tinypic.com/10xzo1v.jpg

Wow!

Have you any other links to those drawings/plans of the buildings?
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »

I'm not sure if Dev's flat on Victoria Court is a proper set on the backlot or merely a 'facade' but I get the impression the buildings are there to hide the second sound stage for the interior sets?

I hope one day the houses behind Coronation Street are turned into more than a frontage to hide the studio buildings behind; would be good to see new characters shouting out of the upstairs windows telling the likes of Amber to turn the music down etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow!

Have you any other links to those drawings/plans of the buildings?

There is a bunch of stuff in these files
    http://planningdocs.trafford.gov.uk/pamsearch/planning_application_search_pam.jsp?APPLICATION_NUMBER=76204/FULL/2010&SearchType=Planning%20Application/%22
    I'm not sure if Dev's flat on Victoria Court is a proper set on the backlot or merely a 'facade' but I get the impression the buildings are there to hide the second sound stage for the interior sets?

I hope one day the houses behind Coronation Street are turned into more than a frontage to hide the studio buildings behind; would be good to see new characters shouting out of the upstairs windows telling the likes of Amber to turn the music down etc.

About Victoria Court, it is just a facade on the current set, to allow shots up Victoria Street (something that couldnt happen until 2008), up that road is the soundstage, though it was used as a Weatherfield club street for when Liam died

The houses across the back from the street are going to become complete houses at the back, you can read more on my blog (with pictures :D)
    http://coronationstreetupdates.blogspot.com/2011/12/noticeable-changes-to-new-set.html
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when is the new set going to be finished anhd in action anyway seems liek ages since they started planning it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    when is the new set going to be finished anhd in action anyway seems liek ages since they started planning it

Early 2013, it will probably be finished in 2012, but they will need to add some wear and tear before it appears on screen