Tesco tablet

1181920212224»

Comments

• clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    To access sd card I use a app called file explorer.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx

MX player is very good at playing video files.

I've always used Andro File manager (works perfectly on the Vega, N7, Xperia SP) .... and have already installed MX player.

But thats not the problem. The problem is working out where the darned device is .... I'm used to working on Linux & Solaris environments, and expected it to be a device mounted in the root (ie. \sdcard1 - on my vega its \sdcard1, on the SP its \sdcard1).

It just isn't appearing where I'd expect it. It is being recognised as a device, as the Hudl complains when its ejected without being given warning.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note that Poundland has folder covers similar to this

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-universal-tablet-case-7-to-8for-hudl-kindle-firehd-ipad-mini-samsung-tab-pink-daisy/616-1352.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=616-1352

Poundland also has a Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable

Is the battery on the Hudl replaceable? How long will it last?

I noted that to extend the guaranty on the Tesco Hudl costs £29.99. It might be worth it as if the battery isn't replaceable then the tablet has to be binned.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note that Poundland has folder covers similar to this

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-universal-tablet-case-7-to-8for-hudl-kindle-firehd-ipad-mini-samsung-tab-pink-daisy/616-1352.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=616-1352

Poundland also has a Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable

Is the battery on the Hudl replaceable? How long will it last?

I noted that to extend the guaranty on the Tesco Hudl costs £29.99. It might be worth it as if the battery isn't replaceable then the tablet has to be binned.

There isn't a tablet on the market that has replaceable batteries, you'd likely get 2 or 3 years out of it, probably longer.

Those generic cases are okay for some tablets, but not really suited to the Hudl. The straps are placed right where the volume controls & power button sit, and the speakers will be heavily muted as they're on the back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    There isn't a tablet on the market that has replaceable batteries, you'd likely get 2 or 3 years out of it, probably longer.

Those generic cases are okay for some tablets, but not really suited to the Hudl. The straps are placed right where the volume controls & power button sit, and the speakers will be heavily muted as they're on the back.

I would suggest those with Hudls accurately time re-charging time now and just before the guarantee expiry and if there is a difference complain like hell to get a replacement under the guarantee.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are getting 2 replacement swaps on saturday. One for Battery and one for hdmi. They were pretty quick and efficient on the phone.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest those with Hudls accurately time re-charging time now and just before the guarantee expiry and if there is a difference complain like hell to get a replacement under the guarantee.
    Why should there not be a difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Why should there not be a difference?

There will be a difference. So complain and get the battery replaced before the guarantee runs out and the battery fails.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a difference. So complain and get the battery replaced before the guarantee runs out and the battery fails.
    Why should they replace a product that is not faulty?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

The battery is not expected to last forever so would not be replaced unless it was genuinely faulty. hey also do lose power over time naturally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    The battery is not expected to last forever so would not be replaced unless it was genuinely faulty. hey also do lose power over time naturally.

So how long?

With a phone or a netbook / laptop you just chuck the failed battery without a second thought (in a battery disposal box of course) and get a new one on ebay - wear and tear like a tyre.

But in these tablets, the battery is integral. Will the cost of replacing the Hudl battery by the manufacturer exceed the original cost of the Hudl - if indeed it can be replaced.

Or maybe two or three years is what most people are happy with for a device before they get bored and chuck it away?

I have just had to throw away a perfectly fine electric razor with a built in battery that failed. That is why the subject bugs me.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    So how long?

With a phone or a netbook / laptop you just chuck the failed battery without a second thought (in a battery disposal box of course) and get a new one on ebay - wear and tear like a tyre.

But in these tablets, the battery is integral. Will the cost of replacing the Hudl battery by the manufacturer exceed the original cost of the Hudl - if indeed it can be replaced.

Or maybe two or three years is what most people are happy with for a device before they get bored and chuck it away?

I have just had to throw away a perfectly fine electric razor with a built in battery that failed. That is why the subject bugs me.

2 or 3 years is about it and unfortunately lots of phones are having integral batteries as well.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    2 or 3 years is about it and unfortunately lots of phones are having integral batteries as well.

Isn't that the average life cycle of a gadget tho in many ways ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Isn't that the average life cycle of a gadget tho in many ways ?

Sad that you may well be right ...