Retail workers - what do customers do that annoys you? (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another pet peeve . . . people that do not know when to leave. The music is off, the lights are dimed, I am going to lock the door and some woman is till trying to decide which pair of socks to buy!!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Well, most tills would let you just go back to the previous screen, she wasn't to know you'd have to start again.

But, if you know you are going to ask for a discount, you ask when the items are being swiped, that's what I usually do :confused:.
  • Connie BeachampConnie Beachamp Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't work in a shop so don't have any stories to tell, but I do have one about a shop worker. My grandparents are old and get very confused and this b@stard tried to con them! It was a small shop and they got one loaf of bread and 4 pints of milk. I saw the price come up on the till (about £3.80 or something) and he said "err thats £7", I thought you cheeky con artist little f***er! My grandparents went to pay :eek: and i said that it wasn't right. He said that it was right so i went over to where the bread was and where the milk was and took the lables down, I said that he was wrong, the look on his face was a picture. He said that he had made a mistake. Liar! It turns out he tried the same thing on my mate too.

thats awfull, thankfully 99% or retail are nice and not rip off merchants,
  • tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think anyone's mentioned the customers with far too much time on their hands who stand outside your shop, waiting for you to open the doors, looking at their watches and tutting if its 9.02AM.

Then when you open and let them in, after a quick look round they go without buying anything!
  • Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers who say 'i pay your wages'... they probably work for the council or something... everyone pays someones wages... but Mr Jones or whoever isn't at the top of my payslip....

Customers are NOT always right, 90% of the time, they are wrong. Dumping fresh meat in freezers, paying with 1p and 2p coins....

When your hand is outstretched waiting for them to pay and they go straight past your hand with their own and dump a load of coins all spread out over the counter...

I'm a store manager now, but when i once worked on the tills, any customers that gave me any lip, i'd crush their eggs, or bread or anything crushable as i loaded it into their bags....
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give you money (notes) by holding the note in one corner and pulling their hand back quickly the second you have hold of it, makes you feel as if they think you are gonna give them something nasty if your fingers and theirs are touching the note at the same time.
  • tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Give you money (notes) by holding the note in one corner and pulling their hand back quickly the second you have hold of it, makes you feel as if they think you are gonna give them something nasty if your fingers and theirs are touching the note at the same time.

Oh, and the ones that hand you over a note which is folded up as small as they can get it (usually chavs) Rude. Unfold it first.
  • Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But most of all, those customers with no hygeine who literally smell of piss and crap... its uncalled for... urgh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't work in retail but I hate it when customers..

When told that a colleague is on the phone ask Will he be long? How the hell would I know? They don't say to me before they make the call, 'Michelle, this call will last approximatley 5 minutes and 20 seconds.'':mad:

Lean over my desk to look at my computer.

Complain because we're closed, how dare we go home to our lives, how dare we have a life?

I'll think of more later.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote: »
    Another pet peeve . . . people that do not know when to leave. The music is off, the lights are dimed, I am going to lock the door and some woman is till trying to decide which pair of socks to buy!!!!!!!!

Others knocking on the door to be let in, after you've closed.
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    During christmas time the girls closed the shop so they could clean up and go home. In town they were having some kind of parade with father christmas. One guy standing outside waiting for the parade banged on the door asked them to open because he wanted a warm and threw a strop when they wouldn't :rolleyes: Thankfully I have never encountered problems like some have in this thread.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This customer wasn't complaining - link :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shops should put a notice next to the opening hours saying this time is also when our workers stop getting paid! To many times are customers still wondering around the shop at 18:05 after numerous tannoys saying this shop is now closed.

And another one is when they get scottish notes in their change and complain, sorry your in scotland what do you expect....but I paid with english money, no you paid with bank of england notes, we don't have any in our till...argg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else laugh on the inside when customers shield their pin numbers from the sales assistants?

Unless I chase them down and mug them, the password is useless to me, the numbers are usually crossed out when they come up on the till.
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers who get really close to your face. Especially if they have bad breath or just stink. Seriously, I have actually started leaning back in a dramatic cartoon-like fashion. *Must remember: stop taking the piss out of customers*

I hate working with the public, hate hate hate it, they are so rude and seem to leave their brains at the door, can not wait to get a different job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else laugh on the inside when customers shield their pin numbers from the sales assistants?

Unless I chase them down and mug them, the password is useless to me, the numbers are usually crossed out when they come up on the till.
    Yeh I find that funny that all their details except for the 3 number security number show up on my screen, I could just copy them down discretely and look at the security number when they take their card out.
  • Beth88Beth88 Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I love that,

I dont like how some customers snatch the card out of my hand if THEY have put it in the PIN machine incorrectly! They do look at me like I have just smacked there kids with a wet fish!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I never realised how incredibly idiotic most of the general public are until I worked in a supermarket; now I can understand in shops like Topshop etc were the staff wear their own clothes but really is there a need for a person to ask me "do you work here?" when Im stood in the uniform with a name badge on?!!!! what else do you think im bloody doing?

Thing I hated the worst though was the general incompitence of the managers when it came to customer complaints- once the complaint is made to said managers the customers come back to us mere shop floor staff to complain about the manager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people don't want the shoes that are on display!! Okay if one is really faded fair enough but usually they are fine!!!!

Argh and when the examine shoes for any possible defect when they are in sale!

Grrr
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago a customer asked me why we only stocked free range eggs, so I told her it was company policy to only sell free range. She went on a rant about having the right to choose what sort of eggs she should be able to buy and we (M&S) were not giving her that right!
    We do do a small barn eggs range these days.

Oh and people who, when you have your hand out for their money, actually MOVE your hand away so they can put it on the counter - ruuuuude! I don't even put coins on the top of their receipts - Im THAT nice lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When your hand is outstretched waiting for them to pay and they go straight past your hand with their own and dump a load of coins all spread out over the counter...

I used to get this a fair bit. I simply responded by putting their change on the table - see how they like trying to pick it up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DivaDiva wrote: »
    God I never realised how incredibly idiotic most of the general public are until I worked in a supermarket; now I can understand in shops like Topshop etc were the staff wear their own clothes but really is there a need for a person to ask me "do you work here?" when Im stood in the uniform with a name badge on?!!!! what else do you think im bloody doing?

I get it the other way around. I'll sometimes be in a shop (as a customer) and get asked if I work there!
    DivaDiva wrote: »
    Thing I hated the worst though was the general incompitence of the managers when it came to customer complaints- once the complaint is made to said managers the customers come back to us mere shop floor staff to complain about the manager.

Such is retail management. All the good managers get rewarded by being promoted to an area manager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When people don't want the shoes that are on display!! Okay if one is really faded fair enough but usually they are fine!!!!

Argh and when the examine shoes for any possible defect when they are in sale!

Grrr

I wouldn't want a shoe that everyone has tried on:eek:

I think alot of retailers forget that alot of money is spent on advertising a service in the TV. People expect that service if they have been enticed by an advert.

I worked in retail years ago (I am now behind the scenes), and had my fair share of t!ts come in. However, there are alot of people that just want the service they have been enticed by.

Its horrible when you get a retailer thats in a crap mood and you know they are just not being helpful.

I treat people they way I want to be treated and dont have problems in shops (probably because I know how it can be) but it does pee me off when you get someone being deliberately obstructive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    I wouldn't want a shoe that everyone has tried on:eek:

I think alot of retailers forget that alot of money is spent on advertising a service in the TV. People expect that service if they have been enticed by an advert.

I worked in retail years ago (I am now behind the scenes), and had my fair share of t!ts come in. However, there are alot of people that just want the service they have been enticed by.

Its horrible when you get a retailer thats in a crap mood and you know they are just not being helpful.

I treat people they way I want to be treated and dont have problems in shops (probably because I know how it can be) but it does pee me off when you get someone being deliberately obstructive.

I'm always nice to people and I understand that if you are going to spend 30-60 pounds on a pair on shoes you want them to be in good condition but some people go to extremes.

I had a customer demand another pair of shoes, we didn't have them and the shoes had only been put on display 5 minutes before. She was so rude to me because of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    customers who come in to buy alchol, and have done before

they are usualy are about 23-25 so they need Id, tobuy alchol

On everytime they come, they get upset, that we wont sell them the alchol, even though they know they might be id.

Actually, as a customer this is really annoying. If someone is 25 they don't need ID to buy alcohol. They're quite obviously older than 17. I have been in a shop before, in my suit for work, looking haggard and ancient, with a tiny bottle of wine alongside mince, garlic, tomatoes, basil (do the maths) and been IDed. I've given over my passport and been told - "this doesn't have your date of birth on it". I've also been in a queue behind a girl who was 20 who was told she wasn't old enough - she had to be 21 to buy alcohol.

21 rulings are there as a guideline if you think someone is UNDER 18, if you're 25 years old and someone IDs you to buy a bit of booze then it's obviously annoying and just another way to lead us all into thinking ID cards are a great idea...

Besides that, I sympathise with all of you :p
This discussion has been closed.