Ant and Dec in the US

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really don't think it's their fault the show is a disaster. I think it is the show premise itself.

It isn't good.

I like these two a lot.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/latest/2008/07/31/ant-and-dec-struggling-to-crack-us-with-new-quiz-show-115875-20678205/

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had to put up with them for years on end. Let the American's have them for a while :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to watch the first episode online, and there's nothing disasterously wrong with it - if it was on over here on a Saturday night, it'd probably get decent enough ratings, as You Bet! did in the 90's. But then again light hearted Saturday Night shows starring Ant and Dec, always do get decent ratings over here.

I get the impression it hasn't been advertised much in the States though which probably explains the low ratings - noone knows it's on or what it's about - or who Ant and Dec are for that matter.
  • TasohTasoh Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Im glad :):) , Hope UK tv dont have them back pair of jumped up pillocks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed the Americans will understand their accents, I really struggle with them (no offence to any Geordies, I'm not British, anything north of London sounds like another language to me!) :)
  • TasohTasoh Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    summerain
    Im glad you said that! lol
    I agree it all sounds like whines an drunk talk .....an they are not the typical flawless Hollywood tv types are they ... no offense but ones a midget with bad teeth an the others a balding geek nerd looking like the muppet Beaker....:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like them but their cheeky chappie routine just grates now they're getting older, and they've become a bit one trick pony really. I think they were much better in their earlier days as TV stars, back during the SMTV era. They were perfect for that.

I never warmed to Saturday Night Takeaway much.
  • nationwide232nationwide232 Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I don't think the lads have taken it seriously enough. If you want to crack america then you can't just mess around and get drunk all the time which is what they have been doing. So it serves them right. And maybe it has something to do with their accents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having ripped of the UK are they now going to scam the Yanks!

(Disclaimer: this comment is in jest, in no way did Ant and Dec willingly deceive or defraud the British public; they are in fact fine and upstanding members of the community)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I'm amazed the Americans will understand their accents, I really struggle with them (no offence to any Geordies, I'm not British, anything north of London sounds like another language to me!) :)

I'm Canadian, came to love them when living in the UK and understand them just fine, but i know what you mean.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US is welcome to them.

They're probably keeping a low profile in the UK following those competition scams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Please let them stay in the US. Their cheeky chappie persona is annoying to the core. Might force ITV to find other people to present programmes........err dream on sheepdog , just means Mylene Klass & Vernon Kaye will be never off the screens instead.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope they're paying more attention to their production company these days - because they never have knowledge of anything, of course. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    The US is welcome to them.

They're probably keeping a low profile in the UK following those competition scams.

do you think they were 100% in the know about that, or was it the station? still, it is not good for any reputation. it was almost a known thing, and yet when it is divulged, people act shocked.

when the girls aloud one was on, there was a big controversy of nicola getting in due to dodgy phone line antics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just spent some time over in the US and I was watching one of these Jay Leno type chat shows and Ant and Dec were among the guests and they hardly raised a chuckle from the audience and it seemed the Americans just don't get the british humour and therefore they dont appear to be popular over there. However I quite like them and they do provide good entertainment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    piper333 wrote: »
    do you think they were 100% in the know about that, or was it the station? still, it is not good for any reputation. it was almost a known thing, and yet when it is divulged, people act shocked.

when the girls aloud one was on, there was a big controversy of nicola getting in due to dodgy phone line antics.

It does seem a little careless. They have their own company and obviously have a big input in their shows.

Not forgetting there were not one but two scams, including the one where Robbie Williams only agreed to turn up if he could present an award to his pals!!

If they genuinely didn't have a clue, then it smacks of complacency and a lack of judgment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    aww i love ant and dec. saturday nights aint the same without them. the shows shown on saturday's are a pile of sh*t now that they're in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they want to make it so big in the US and fail I sincerely hope they are not welcomed back here.

How much money or fame does an individual need?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame the US don't want them, I am utterly fed up of their presence on ITV. Not that I expected the US would take to them, they are a bit down market which is all well and good on ITV but American television tends to be somewhat more 'aspirational'.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Many people have tried and failed in the US - some succeed but loads don't.

Then when they come back here we've forgotten why we liked them and moved on. I hate it when people think they can turn their backs on us who made them famous and go off to America.

By the time they come back someone else will have taken their place.
    Forum Member
    kratz22 wrote: »
    It's a shame the US don't want them, I am utterly fed up of their presence on ITV. Not that I expected the US would take to them, they are a bit down market which is all well and good on ITV but American television tends to be somewhat more 'aspirational'.

American tv aspirational? I don't think so! Wasn't it them responsible for giving us alot of awful game shows and Jeremy Kyle type shows! Aspirational my eye.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Ant and Dec. I can't wait till they're back on our tv in the UK where they belong.
    I notice that some people can't slate them without insulting their accents.... There's alot of UK accents I don't like but I would not say a person is useless or critisize them because they have an accent I don't like.
    Ant and Dec are great, much better then the likes of Jonathan Ross etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people have tried and failed in the US - some succeed but loads don't.

Then when they come back here we've forgotten why we liked them and moved on.

We haven't forgotten Bruce Forsyth or Lenny Henry, have we?
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    I love them but I don't think the Americans will really 'get' them and understand their accents so I can see why they aren't doing so well there.
    Forum Member
    Cindylover wrote: »
    We haven't forgotten Bruce Forsyth or Lenny Henry, have we?

Yes we have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I love Ant and Dec. I can't wait till they're back on our tv in the UK where they belong.
    I notice that some people can't slate them without insulting their accents.... There's alot of UK accents I don't like but I would not say a person is useless or critisize them because they have an accent I don't like.
    Ant and Dec are great, much better then the likes of Jonathan Ross etc...

I mentioned their accent, but I didn't slate it. No insult to them at all, just I genuinely find it difficult to understand, my housemate used to watch SNT and I had to ask her to put the subtitles on!
    All I was saying is, as a non-British person, I find it difficult to know what they're saying as their accent is so thick. Therefore it's going to be a lot harder to crack America if they can't understand what you're saying.