Options

Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Thing is we're being told what referees are thinking, until they come out and say 'I've been threatened' we can't say that its 100% true. After all we were told Steven Craven resigned over 'death threats' which we now know to be a pack of lies. So I make no apology for my cynicism on this issue.

Is this the same Steven Craven that sold his story to the tabloids ... pardon me for also being a bit cynical but I choose not to believe anything that these sort of folk come out with.:p

Also may be worth remembering that Celtic won the match in question and the correct result in awarding no penalty was eventually taken ... though I believe you guys are not even remotely interested in that fact now.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Is this the same Steven Craven that sold his story to the tabloids ... pardon me for also being a bit cynical but I choose not to believe anything that these sort of folk come out with.:p

Actually, Craven refused to accept any cash for the interview.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    Where have I said that, I'd love for you to show some quotes where I've made that insinuation.

Erm Jim White for starters you basically ripped him to shreds for something he read on air.;)

Why didn't the media and SFA go after Myth the same way that they are going after Lennon? Why was there no bid coverage about Myth manhandling the 4th official?

You are missing the point - yes managers/clubs do have run ins with officials it goes with the territory ... but the fact that you could condense those Walter episodes from 3 or 4 years into a couple of weeks of Lennon and Celtic surely tells you something.:confused:
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did the 2008 Scottish referee respect agreement pan out?
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, Craven refused to accept any cash for the interview.

And denied the threats took place before giving the interview.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he never gave the penalty for the Kenneth handball when his hand was in an unnatural position?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3239442/United-ace-piles-it-on.html

If it had been deliberate handball Tumelty would've given the penalty. I'm sure he likes his windows to have glass in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jill1812 wrote: »
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3239442/United-ace-piles-it-on.html

If it had been deliberate handball Tumelty would've given the penalty. I'm sure he likes his windows to have glass in them.

As I said on saturday, I can understand why he didn't see it but there no excuse for the linesman.

Doesn't excuse the fact that we only had ourselves to blame though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doncaster on SSN

SPL not involved in ref talks

SFA have obligation to provide refs and have contingencey plans in place

Hopes strike called off

Games all on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SPL not happy refs didn't speak to them first

SFA decide where refs come from

Would accept lower league refs - not happy though

Annoyed about effect on fans

Neil Doncaster live on SSN
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some history behind it explained here, including the 2008 agreement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/9216507.stm
    Gordon Strachan even gets a mention.

"Referees and their assistants have changed their ways. They guard their words and look over their shoulders like ventriloquists' dummies.
    They look shell-shocked and haunted. It shouldn't be this way."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewart Regan confirms that referees from outside Scotland can be brought in to referee games at the weekend.

By the hour the position of the scottish referees weaken.

If I was Stewart Regan I'd go ahead and appoint whatever foreign refs are neccessary for the weekend and say that they will continue until the refereeing hierarchy in Scotland has been overhauled to help improve standards and transparency within the scottish game. Until that has been achieved the current batch of refs can stay on 'strike'
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree they are talking about refs from Wales.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could end up backfiring spectacularly for the refs, if foreign officials are brought in get rave reviews from the fans and media.
  • Options
    DavielDaviel Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    This could end up backfiring spectacularly for the refs, if foreign officials are brought in get rave reviews from the fans and media.

Even if that did happen, where would it leave the game in Scotland? If the refereeing fraternity is finding the current environment intolerable, why would anyone want to do the job as an up and coming official?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewart Regan blames the media for their scrutiny over the last couple of weeks describing it as intolerable. Says he does not support the strike and the fan/customer comes first.

SFA had a meeting with the referees on Friday and they did not mention anything about striking so he is surprised at this.

Officials will come from all over Europe if neccesary.

Regan's investigation into the way refereeing decisions are made will continue with the full support of the SFA board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Officials will come from all over Europe if necessary.

If that happens it would set a terrible precedent, and I wouldn't expect a Scottish referee to officiate at a match again this season.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Daviel wrote: »
    If that happens it would set a terrible precedent, and I wouldn't expect a Scottish referee to officiate at a match again this season.

What else are we meant to do?

Cancel the games until the refs decide whatever they want to happen has happened and they come back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think we will have scottish referees refereeing at the weekend, might still have some foreign refs though.

I don't think it's as clear as saying it's all Celtic's fault as they would've said that they were striking on Friday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regan and Doncaster both on Sportsound atm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    What else are we meant to do?

Cancel the games until the refs decide whatever they want to happen has happened and they come back?

I think the SFA have failed the referees up to this point with their inaction. Celtic should have been absolutely carpeted in the wake of both Tynecastle and the comments at the AGM.

I think they owe it to the officials to allow them to make their point in showing that they are an essential resource and need to be protected.

As much as I would have sympathy with any club losing short term revenue as a result of a one week strike, I think this is such an important issue that it goes beyond that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny Clark: 'I'm sure the vote was unanimous'

Until we're told the result we'll never know.

Kenny Clark want other SPL clubs to turn on Celtic, forgetting Hearts statement of a couple of weeks back.

Kenny McIntyre and his cronies are desperately trying to get Regan and Doncaster to criticise Celtic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if that did happen, where would it leave the game in Scotland? If the refereeing fraternity is finding the current environment intolerable, why would anyone want to do the job as an up and coming official?

We wouldnt have this sh*t storm if the standard of refing was higher, it's the training that's the problem IMO and I reckon that's backed up when 80% can't pass an exam

if I was in charge I'd have them on a flexible refresher course over the summer and then re-examine them and those who dont pass get binned, next step would be teaching reform as clearly it isn't working, I'd make fitness levels more strict ( a bugbear of mine) and id offer young refs and those who pass the exam the chance of going full time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny Clark saying Neil Doncaster shouldn't be SPL chief executive if he thinks referees suddenly called a strike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We wouldnt have this sh*t storm if the standard of refing was higher, it's the training that's the problem IMO and I reckon that's backed up when 80% can't pass an exam

if I was in charge I'd have them on a flexible refresher course over the summer and then re-examine them and those who dont pass get binned, next step would be teaching reform as clearly it isn't working, I'd make fitness levels more strict ( a bugbear of mine) and id offer young refs and those who pass the exam the chance of going full time

Everyone wants refereeing standards to be as high as is humanly possible, but it will never be 100% correct due to human error.

If I thought there was an real agenda striving for stronger refereeing behind this campaign by Celtic I would support it myself. In my opinion that, along with lie by McDonald, is a red herring amongst the real motive, which is intimidation of officials and pandering to the paranoid, lunatic fringe in the Celtic support in order to mask inadequacies.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the SFA can't provide referees for the weekend, they'll be open to legal action from the SPL and SFL.

The problem there is that, as members of the SFA, the SPL and SFL would basically be suing themselves. Which is probably not even legal.
This discussion has been closed.