The Dominance Of The X Factor...Good? Bad?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad
    Mat Osman of Britpop band Suede..."The thing I find incredible is that Simon Cowell gets paid an enormous amount of money to promote his own acts. It just seems to be the greatest con of all time. He should surely be paying a fortune to put these crappy acts on primetime TV. But well done to him...It's a genius scam."

I CANT BELIEVE THAT THE GBP ARE ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN:eek:

IT JUST BEGGERS BELIEF:confused:
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickyjune wrote: »
    Mat Osman of Britpop band Suede..."The thing I find incredible is that Simon Cowell gets paid an enormous amount of money to promote his own acts. It just seems to be the greatest con of all time. He should surely be paying a fortune to put these crappy acts on primetime TV. But well done to him...It's a genius scam."

I CANT BELIEVE THAT THE GBP ARE ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN:eek:

IT JUST BEGGERS BELIEF:confused:

its not a con, its openly a business venture, the gbp know exactly whats going on.
  • Blue MeanieBlue Meanie Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Bad
    As a singer and someone able to write a song - generally based on the reality of a life experience - I began by detesting X Factor and what it stood for, eventually I saw it for the 'bread and circuses' it is - froth, ephemeral and generally irrelevant. It doesn't stop me doing music, nor would I ever queue to audition when I know that I would want to do my own thing and not be told what to sing. So I will take my chances with YouTube and the stuff I do locally.

The stranglehold that it (X Factor) appears to have means that we are erring towards blandness. An industry run by accountants and marketing men, rather than people with a passion for music.

It surprises me that the youth really aren't angry with their lot (a generation completely shafted by their elders). Such anger used to find an outlet in song, and that lead to a wave that changed things or at least perceptions. Maybe it is out there but the 'business' won't let it breathe.

I recently uploaded a critique of the X Factor... the story of a singer caught up in the machine. (No link, no self-promotion.)

I would love to see something new emerge - with melody, yes, but attitude; something that makes kids want to pick up a guitar or learn to play piano... and create or at least have a go. In the sanitised world of X-Factor this is not going to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    It's just a TV show and people who don't like it seem to take it far more seriously than people who do, more often than not.

It hasn't really changed or affected the music industry. Music was already an 'industry' long before shows like X Factor, Pop Idol etc. came along, and Simon Cowell certainly isn't the only person making loads of money from it.

Only a handful of people who have come from the show have done well in the charts, but they certainly don't "dominate" it. And the so-called "dominance" of X Factor in the music industry could only annoy you anyway if you're the kind of person who pays close attention to the charts or popular music in general, in which case you should also have contempt for all the other acts in the charts who are also there because they're making money for people who are no better or worse than Simon Cowell. And if that's the case, then I don't know why you'd even want to follow chart/pop music in the first place.

It's not "dominating" because if it's on TV, you can watch something else, or go out. If it's in the papers and you don't want to read about it - read something else (I doubt that applies to anyone who's been reading this thread though)! If people are talking about it, you can change the subject or ignore them - or join in to talk about how rubbish it is, a lot of you seem to enjoy doing that anyway. :p