Embarrasing health problem, any advice?

Comments

• jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick update:

When I woke up today, it still hadn't changed at all,no bigger or smaller and same amount of pain.

I got my mum to have a proper look at it, and theres nothing visible whatsoever on the outside, she said the skin looks healthy and everything.

So, my mum got me some TCP, I've applied it twice today already, and taken1 ibuprofen, and the pain has reduced about 50%!!!!!!

Hey eves, we're all feeling for you on this one.

But cruel to be kind and all that, your post seems to suggest your continuing with a home remedy plan and trying every trick in the book to avoid going to your GP.

So you've taken a pain killer and the pain is better... well that figures, doesn’t mean anything is getting better though does it?

Sorry to sound harsh, hope you can appreciate the very best of intention here and care for your well-being.

IF you have an infection caused by a foreign bacteria and a build up of pus, and it's not dealt with, the infection could spread into the blood stream - that can cause septicaemia which can be life threatening. Seriously: watch out for signs of fever, cold sweats and fatigue and if you do, please do not think taking a Beechams is the answer, get to the Docs or A&E immediately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Please please go to your doctor, i'm not trying to scare you but I had a pilonidal sinus which I ignored for ages, and I ended up having 5 surgeries and losing 3 years of my life (I am fine now but I wouldn't have gone through a tenth of what happened to me if i'd sought medical advice sooner).

It sounds like you do have a pilonidal sinus/abscess, and going to your gp is the best thing you can do.

If you have any questions i'm here :) xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    One thing that you can be absolutely sure of is that you won't be showing a doctor anything new.
    Get it seen ... get it fixed.
    The only advice that I would give is that if the doc gives you a prescription for some special cream, get the prescription filled at a chemists from the next town.
    It may be an over sensitive reaction but why let the chemist and staff know that you have a weird ass?? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    There's a video on YouTube where someone pops a cyst on a guys back. It's disgusting but intriguing :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vRq1PLrtA

I wish i hadn't watched that :eek:
  • sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP,

Please go and get it checked out. I had a pilonidal sinus- however a little higher than the top of my behind which I put down to sitting in the wrong position and giving me back pain. I passed out in the cinema (watching The Village, so maybe a good move) and was in hospital for a week. The infection had tracked up to my spine and down to my bottom area. Had to have 2 operations on it where they drained a pint of pus and crap. Couldn't walk because of the pressure it was putting on my spinal column. Also had low grade septicaemia.

Then the worst bit started. If the infection is bad, they have to leave the wound open. My wound was 4 inches long and about 3 inches deep. It had to be packed everyday by a nurse. The packing material sticks to the inside of the wound and hurts worse than anything I have ever experienced. That went on for 12 weeks. I had to have morphine the first few times they did it.

If I'd gone to see the Dr's early enough I wouldn't have had to go through all that. If I get the slightest pain there now I'm straight off for antibiotics which swiftly sort it out. Fortunately I haven't had a recurrence of anything worse than a bit of sore redness at the site of the original lump. Wear something like trackie bottoms that can be lowered only to show the area where it's painful. Be careful how you sit (sit properly upright like your teachers always wanted you to) and take extreme care when washing the area- and wash it twice a day with something mild, no strong perfumed bodywashes/soap.

Please get it checked out now before you have to go through what I did. I don't want to scare you- sounds like yours is only just starting out and can probably be sorted out with antibiotics. Far better to take action now than end up in hospital with people poring over your backside twice a day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    jaycee331 wrote: »
    Hey eves, we're all feeling for you on this one.

But cruel to be kind and all that, your post seems to suggest your continuing with a home remedy plan and trying every trick in the book to avoid going to your GP.

So you've taken a pain killer and the pain is better... well that figures, doesn’t mean anything is getting better though does it?

Sorry to sound harsh, hope you can appreciate the very best of intention here and care for your well-being.

IF you have an infection caused by a foreign bacteria and a build up of pus, and it's not dealt with, the infection could spread into the blood stream - that can cause septicaemia which can be life threatening. Seriously: watch out for signs of fever, cold sweats and fatigue and if you do, please do not think taking a Beechams is the answer, get to the Docs or A&E immediately.
    Please please go to your doctor, i'm not trying to scare you but I had a pilonidal sinus which I ignored for ages, and I ended up having 5 surgeries and losing 3 years of my life (I am fine now but I wouldn't have gone through a tenth of what happened to me if i'd sought medical advice sooner).

It sounds like you do have a pilonidal sinus/abscess, and going to your gp is the best thing you can do.

If you have any questions i'm here :) xxx
    sesmo wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Please go and get it checked out. I had a pilonidal sinus- however a little higher than the top of my behind which I put down to sitting in the wrong position and giving me back pain. I passed out in the cinema (watching The Village, so maybe a good move) and was in hospital for a week. The infection had tracked up to my spine and down to my bottom area. Had to have 2 operations on it where they drained a pint of pus and crap. Couldn't walk because of the pressure it was putting on my spinal column. Also had low grade septicaemia.

Then the worst bit started. If the infection is bad, they have to leave the wound open. My wound was 4 inches long and about 3 inches deep. It had to be packed everyday by a nurse. The packing material sticks to the inside of the wound and hurts worse than anything I have ever experienced. That went on for 12 weeks. I had to have morphine the first few times they did it.

If I'd gone to see the Dr's early enough I wouldn't have had to go through all that. If I get the slightest pain there now I'm straight off for antibiotics which swiftly sort it out. Fortunately I haven't had a recurrence of anything worse than a bit of sore redness at the site of the original lump. Wear something like trackie bottoms that can be lowered only to show the area where it's painful. Be careful how you sit (sit properly upright like your teachers always wanted you to) and take extreme care when washing the area- and wash it twice a day with something mild, no strong perfumed bodywashes/soap.

Please get it checked out now before you have to go through what I did. I don't want to scare you- sounds like yours is only just starting out and can probably be sorted out with antibiotics. Far better to take action now than end up in hospital with people poring over your backside twice a day.

All this is telling me the drs is the only option here.

I will have to grow up and get over my embarrasment :D, like you all say, it's nothing the doc hasn't seen before, my mum is very eager for me to go to the doctors.

I think I may ring the NHS helpline to see what the advice is.

Sesmo and herewego, it sounds like you both went through a terrible time of it,hope you're both okay now?....... I could do without fainting!!!!!!

Thank you all for replying and helping me out here, it's very much appreciated xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Steve94a wrote: »
    One thing that you can be absolutely sure of is that you won't be showing a doctor anything new.
    Get it seen ... get it fixed.
    The only advice that I would give is that if the doc gives you a prescription for some special cream, get the prescription filled at a chemists from the next town.
    It may be an over sensitive reaction but why let the chemist and staff know that you have a weird ass?? :D

Nice plan lol :D
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bite the bullet and go get it seen to, remember they have all sorts of things jiggling in their faces.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a video on YouTube where someone pops a cyst on a guys back. It's disgusting but intriguing :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vRq1PLrtA

evesapples131, if I was you I'd have popped it when I first found it because I am weak and have no willpower to resist popping spots :o

I know that this is really wrong, but that was - ummm, intriguing?

I would so totally do that without the silly screaming. The best bit about having teens is being able to say to them, "Give me your face..." :o
    Forum Member

I will have to grow up and get over my embarrasment :D, like you all say, it's nothing the doc hasn't seen before, my mum is very eager for me to go to the doctors.

Sesmo and herewego, it sounds like you both went through a terrible time of it,hope you're both okay now?....... I could do without fainting!!!!!!

Thank you all for replying and helping me out here, it's very much appreciated xx

I think you're doing the right thing going to the doctors.

I'm fine now, have quite a scar from my last surgery but it got rid of it so I don't mind that at all, have occasional nerve pain but after what I went through that's nothing!

I meant to say, if these things are caught early enough then they can be treated by antibiotics and thats the last you hear of it alot of the time, but if left that's when they cause problems.

I hope you get sorted out, please let us know what happens :)
  • sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's nothing to them, really. The way I look at it is that having to lower a pair of trousers to show the Dr a painful bump is far less embarrassing than having a group of medical students gazing at your behind- on show for all, with the consultant pointing out the various paths it had tracked.

I'm fine now, odd painful bump now and again but nothing serious. I never used to be a person for going to the Dr's, still aren't, but if it starts again I practically run there. :D
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I know that this is really wrong, but that was - ummm, intriguing?

I would so totally do that without the silly screaming. The best bit about having teens is being able to say to them, "Give me your face..." :o

I squeeze my daughters spot :o

She doesn't have many though lol. I also like squeezing hubbys back after sex (don't ask)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Another vote for going to the doctor I'm afraid.

I've had two of these, the first I thought I'd just hurt my back falling off a rowing machine, within a week I was in agony, could only walk a few steps. Honestly, it was the worst pain I've experienced. I went to the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. It cleared it up in time, but I was in so much pain, I'd happily have had an operation if it had been suggested, just to make the pain go away. :o

You can imagine how delighted I was when I had a recurrence a couple of years late. Again, it was a drawn out process, but antibiotics fixed it.

Don't let fear of an operation put you off going to the doctors, it's not a foregone conclusion that that's the treatment you'll be prescribed.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danleto wrote: »
    Just bite the bullet and go get it seen to, remember they have all sorts of things jiggling in their faces.

I'd rather show my bum crack to a Dr, than my Mum!!
  • Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem too, and I left it a while before I went to the doctor because I thought/hoped it would go away on its own. I ended up needing surgery but it was minor, I was in and out of hospital in a day. Do get it checked out and don't be embarassed, the doc sees this kind of thing all the time!
    Forum Member
    Isn't it suprising how many people have actually had these! I remember when I had mine whenever anybody asked what was wrong with me, they'd say ohhh i've had one of those or i know someone who's had that! It's suprisingly common!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never even told people what was wrong with me at the time, but I was younger and sillier then, its nothing to be embarrassed about at all. There are worse things you could have!
    Forum Member
    Suzy07 wrote: »
    I never even told people what was wrong with me at the time, but I was younger and sillier then, its nothing to be embarrassed about at all. There are worse things you could have!

I told people the name of it and then it must have rang a bell with them lol.

I actually tried to raise awareness about this, emailing tv programmes and papers and stuff but nothing ever came of it :( I would never want anybody to suffer like I did and want people to not be embarrassed about it, its such a shame!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually tried to raise awareness about this, emailing tv programmes and papers and stuff but nothing ever came of it :( I would never want anybody to suffer like I did and want people to not be embarrassed about it, its such a shame!

Until I read this thread I never realised how bad it can be, sounds like you went through hell. I got off pretty lightly considering.

That's great that you've tried to raise awareness, such a shame nothing came of it because it seems to be so common.
    Forum Member
    Suzy07 wrote: »
    Until I read this thread I never realised how bad it can be, sounds like you went through hell. I got off pretty lightly considering.

That's great that you've tried to raise awareness, such a shame nothing came of it because it seems to be so common.

I didn't mention everything because I don't want to frighten the OP but if not treated early on it can get bad. Not something i'd want to repeat but i'm better now so i'd just like to help people with the awareness for it, I might have another go at emailing and see what happens!
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    I'd rather show my bum crack to a Dr, than my Mum!!

Why wouldn't you show a Dr your mum :confused:
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertrigo

It could possibly be this, which can be treated with some athletes foot cream!

Or you could pop along to your GP!
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with my illness this is common ive had an open wound from my buttock to the lower base of the back.MRSA then got in there and its now open all the time.

ive had 3 ops to try and close it (its now 9 inches and 2 inches wide)Im not saying this to scare you but trust me get it sorted SOONER rather than later.please the longer you leave this type of thing the worse it gets.Please remeber the doctor sees so many bums,Lady gardens,willies per day they totally zone out and simply dont care.

again I wont want to scare you just be weary this very rarely goes away on its own.
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    with my illness this is common ive had an open wound from my buttock to the lower base of the back.MRSA then got in there and its now open all the time.

ive had 3 ops to try and close it (its now 9 inches and 2 inches wide)Im not saying this to scare you but trust me get it sorted SOONER rather than later.please the longer you leave this type of thing the worse it gets.Please remeber the doctor sees so many bums,Lady gardens,willies per day they totally zone out and simply dont care.

again I wont want to scare you just be weary this very rarely goes away on its own.

Have you considered the Cleft Lift/Cleft Closure? After 3 failed open excisions and a failed Z-Plasty this is what "cured" me. I've been all clear for 2 years now, there are 8 surgeons in the UK who perform this surgery and it's amazing.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered the Cleft Lift/Cleft Closure? After 3 failed open excisions and a failed Z-Plasty this is what "cured" me. I've been all clear for 2 years now, there are 8 surgeons in the UK who perform this surgery and it's amazing.

in the end they sent me to lord darzi.
    Ive got behcets disease which makes healing very very hard.
    im still on around 3000mg of Antibiotics a day and basically just holding me over.

After the last op they totally freaked out because it seemed to work then 2 weeks later it just all split over and keep tearing.I will look into that (due back in london later this month) its driving me insane after 7 years.

thank you so much for that info