"Refreshing and classy" says Jim Shelley in Mirror

maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jim Shelley in The Mirror has given a very good review of The Voice here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/staying-in/what-s-on-tv/the-voice-uk-was-nifty-and-classy-jim-772159#comments

He seems really impressed with the coaches who he thought had a "relaxed rapport and an enjoyable rivalry" He said they were "refreshingly articulate" compared to others and "gave constructive criticism to those who didn't make it and let them down gently and respectfully."

Comments

• Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was definitely refreshing. It was new, vibrant.

I don't know what to expect. I'm interested in the upcoming weeks. I think I'm quite fond of the show.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I agree with the review. Miles better than the X Factor I didn't find the judges/coaches' (they're probably more judges at this stage) banter to be contrived or forced, and it made a nice change that they had little to say, rather than us having to see Cowell & cronies arriving at venues in individual helicopters or limos, and see them being interviewed in corridors whiile being followed by their entourages as though they're royalty or presidential.

In contrast, as this reviewer said, we got to see will.i.am experience rejection, which he took with delightfully good grace. An X-factor judge would probably have burst into tears or come back with a withering put-down if faced with the same adversity.
  • drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    It was definitely refreshing. It was new, vibrant.

i thought it was a bit lifeless. the coaches were good and contestants were all competent but it had no real style or personality of it's own.

still first ep. so it's got plenty left in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    This is not so much a review of The Voice as a chance for the writer to voice his opinion on just about everything else on TV!

One thing he did point out was the lack of jargon which was refreshing. I don't believe a single judge said "you nailed it" all evening! Now if they could just do away with the screaming....
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    We recorded both The Voice and BGT as we went out Saturday night. Watched The Voice first then BGT and the gap in class was massive. In fact, I could only stick 30 mins of BGT but the wife watched it all. I genuinely think Cowell has a fight on his hands with this one. Loved the show.
  • jbiggsjbiggs Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it :)
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    drwhoru wrote: »
    i thought it was a bit lifeless. the coaches were good and contestants were all competent but it had no real style or personality of it's own.
    I've seen this as a "talking point" coming from a lot of X-F boosters. It seems a major criticism of X-F in the past, that its an all-style no-substance flashy melodrama, is now being flipped on its ear to imply that a show taking any other approach is "boring" instead of you know... honest and down to earth.
  • K2rayK2ray Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    I've seen this as a "talking point" coming from a lot of X-F boosters. It seems a major criticism of X-F in the past, that its an all-style no-substance flashy melodrama, is now being flipped on its ear to imply that a show taking any other approach is "boring" instead of you know... honest and down to earth.

You hit the nail on the head about a group of folks who suddenly post on this particular DS forum.

hopefully the talent/coach chemistry and overall working format on The Voice UK will keep them quiet in the coming weeks;)
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    ... and it made a nice change that they had little to say, rather than us having to see Cowell & cronies arriving at venues in individual helicopters or limos, and see them being interviewed in corridors whiile being followed by their entourages as though they're royalty or presidential.

Yes, I agree. It has always grated with me that X-Factor judges are presented as being near divinity, when the reality is very much less. Quite often, in the case of Cole or Minogue, those who are being judged are far superior singers to those doing the judging. At least with The Voice, no one is going to be a better singer than Tom Jones!
    Jayma wrote: »
    In contrast, as this reviewer said, we got to see will.i.am experience rejection, which he took with delightfully good grace.

A fact which will have won him much credit. I don't like his music, but I do like him. Also, it's worth noting, Will I Am is secure in his success, he doesn't need to do The Voice, and is likely only on the show because he thinks it's a fun thing to do, and it just might gain him a client or two who can make them both more dollars.