Should Plea Bargaining Be Allowed?

.Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
Forum Member
I have been watching a fair amount of criminal programmes recently mainly focusing on US crimes and many result in lesser charges for criminals if they enter a plea bargain. Or sometimes they get immunity from prosecution if they testify against someone else.

Is this something you feel should be allowed? Do you think it results in better convictions or do you think it encourages the plea bargainer to lie to get out of a prison sentence? Etc etc.

Comments

• yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    No.... never
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we didn't have plea bargaining over here our criminal justice system would totally shut down.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20 yrs ago, I guess I plea bargained, and plead guilty, and in return, £300 fine

Had I plead not guilty, could have face up to 2 years in jail, or £2500 fine

I knew I was guilty, but laywer wanted me to plead not guilty, basicly I wanted to get things over, and try to get my life back
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't think it should be allowed.

Why should someone who pleads guilty get less of a sentence than someone who is found guilty of exactly the same crime?

Also I think, especially in the US, you get a lot of people who are found guilty and even sentenced to death solely on the testimony of one person who has been given immunity if they testify against the defendant.

I get that the process is longer without these things, but I think integrity is more important.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think it should be allowed at all ever. Same reasons as Lauren gives above.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US system encourages people to confess - even to crimes they didn't commit as the difference in a plea bargained sentence and going to court to argue your case could be several decades.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a guaranteed guilty verdict, would the prosecutors prefer a trial and have someone go free because of an error or jury believing them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's essental to save the court's time and money - and in extreme cases to save the victims and witnesses from having testify or victims' families from having to be put through weeks and weeks of lies and grizzly details.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it should be allowed. Jack Bauer saved the world many times as a result of these sorts of deals.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Example. If your Daughter had been killed by perp.A, who then went on to plea-bargain their sentence down because they had information the police needed on perp.B, would you be happy?

I know I wouldn't.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    How many worse criminals have been put away because someone struck a deal to get out of a lesser charge?

I say it is a good thing if it leads to someone bigger.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    It's a guaranteed guilty verdict
    Even if you are innocent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Even if you are innocent.

As highlighted most recently in the Twitter case I believe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Example. If your Daughter had been killed by perp.A, who then went on to plea-bargain their sentence down because they had information the police needed on perp.B, would you be happy?

I know I wouldn't.

Would I rather both guilty parties recieved jail sentences instead of just the one?

Yes.

There is no way the courts would plea-bargain with a murderer in a murder case anyway. The information and co-operation provided by perp A would be taken into consideration by the court. Maybe that would result in a slight reduction in sentence. More importantly it would stand in the offender's favour for any future applications for parole.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We dont have plea bargaining here in the way they do in the US, but deals are done at court with a promise of a guilty plea for a lesser charge.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    It seems perverse to me to say that a genuinely guilty man may plead guilty thus getting a short sentence, when a genuinely innocent man may plead not guilty and then be convicted on the evidence, resulting in him serving in a longer sentence than the genuinely guilty man. Of course, juries aren't meant to convict unless they are sure of guilt beyond all reasonable doubt but given how fallible juries are you see my point.

I understand the reasons for it but gives the impression of a justice system acting as a revolving door rather than a method of determining the truth and any guilt from that truth.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you can't rely on a justice system that is based on 'an eye for and eye a tooth for a tooth.'

Someone commits murder so we're just gonna murder him in return only our form of murder is legal and less barbaric. Oh hang on maybe not. Because we keep people on death row for years not knowing what day or when or if they're gonna be killed sometimes not even guilty so it's like every day they live in fear of being put to death. At least someone who's been murdered doesn't know it's gonna happen.

Not saying murder is right but how is submitting someone to years of day after day thinking this may be their final day to die possibly be more humane than a quick or fast shooting for example?

And this is somehow right? Legalised slow killing playing tortureous psychological mind games is ok. This makes you no better than the person who committed the murder. And I always though Americans were Christians. Jesus never said lets take revenge he said turn the other cheek. Putting someone to death makes you no less of a killer than the one who did the murder.
    Forum Member
    How many worse criminals have been put away because someone struck a deal to get out of a lesser charge?

I say it is a good thing if it leads to someone bigger.

Well yes, but what if a very bad criminal gets away with it because they plea bargain? It shouldn't be a case of one or the other.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Well yes, but what if a very bad criminal gets away with it because they plea bargain? It shouldn't be a case of one or the other.

Plea bargaining is typically only used to allow someone to skate on a more minor infraction to get someone much worse. I don't think murderers would be allowed to cut a deal, for example. Imagine the outrage.
    Forum Member
    Plea bargaining is typically only used to allow someone to skate on a more minor infraction to get someone much worse. I don't think murderers would be allowed to cut a deal, for example. Imagine the outrage.

FRom what I have read and seen major suspects who have been directly involved in a murder have been able to walk free for pointing the finger at someone else.

I think in some cases there is a need to find someone, anyone guilty that the integrity of the whole thing is lost.