Jon Venables ID'd....apparently

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    Well this is it. She did the same with Robert Thompson back in 2001 - calling him an 'undiagnosed psychopath'. The authorities treated her 'findings' (which, as I said were basically nasty, homophobic rubbish) with the contempt they deserved.
    Well, it seems she's dredging up the allegations of sexual assault which were disregarded years ago. Hardly "new evidence" and not particularly compelling evidence, but its really for the media's benefit in the hope that widespread belief in a sexual element to the original murder will cause enough public outcry to sway the parole board.
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except if the Parole Board are swayed by public opinion (which is unlikely - they weren't in 2001 and I can't see it happening now), Jon Venables's legal team will have the right to apply first to the Supreme Court and then to the ECHR. The fact that Michael Howard listened to public opinion in 1993/4 was the reason why he (and Mrs Fergus) lost. If the Parole Board listen to public opinion rather than fact, Venables will be entitled to make a compensation claim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's likely he'll be released sooner rather than later, his sentence ended last year and it was a hefty sentence for what he was caught with anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can say no. But they've already refused him parole once. They'd have to have solid reasons for refusing again (perhaps, for example, he hasn't completed the necessary courses - I'm guessing he would have had to have done drug awareness courses and taken part in the sex offender treatment programme).

We know there's no denial (he admitted the offence straight away) so that can't be a reason for refusing parole. We know he hasn't really shown any propensity towards violence during the time he was on licence (despite one drunken scuffle for which no charges were brought).
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's done it far many more times than one occasion.

Every Christmas - "Oh, another Christmas without my poor James" in the headlines.

Every anniversary of his death - "Oh, it's been X years since I lost my boy..."

Every birthday of his, she's running off to the papers again to sell her most recent thoughts. It's like a living to her now.

What happened was dreadful and something I wouldn't wish upon any mother but she seems to think she "owns" Thompson and Venables now and she should have some say in what happens to them. She's a media ****.

That's a bit harsh. I think she's wrong to do what she does, but she's clearly encouraged to by the media. It's in their financial interest for her not to move on and find some sort of closure. She's being exploited by them- one's natural instinct would surely be to carry the grudge and the pain, and it usually takes a lot of hard work and support for people to get over trauma. When you've got someone constantly asking you for quotes about how angry you are, and rubbing your nose in the details, it's hardly surprising you're gonna go for the easy option af being consumed by hate.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. I think she's wrong to do what she does, but she's clearly encouraged to by the media. It's in their financial interest for her not to move on and find some sort of closure. She's being exploited by them- one's natural instinct would surely be to carry the grudge and the pain, and it usually takes a lot of hard work and support for people to get over trauma. When you've got someone constantly asking you for quotes about how angry you are, and rubbing your nose in the details, it's hardly surprising you're gonna go for the easy option af being consumed by hate.

Especially if that person doesn't think justice was done. I would imagine it's a lot harder to move on if a loved-one's murderer only spends a short time in prison. Agreed, that the press don't help, though, and Denise is only replying to what she's been told by them. She probably isn't much wiser than the rest of us with regards to the true story of Thompson's and Venables' private lives, before Venables was recalled, anyway.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJM91 wrote: »
    It's likely he'll be released sooner rather than later, his sentence ended last year and it was a hefty sentence for what he was caught with anyway.

For all we know, he's being assessed and they think he's still a danger to children. I would imagine that they want to be damned sure this time around before they release him again.
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

I agree, Stoatie. Not to mention her PR person ensures that she gets her name in the papers and anything she utters with regard to T&V is then printed verbatim.

If you or I were to lose a child under these circumstances, sure, I can see how we would utter invectives and our hatred for their murderers and disdain for the legal system time and time again in private.

However, because of the scum who represents her (who undoubtedly offered his services; I doubt that she went and searched him out), her opinions are made public.

I can feel dreadfully sorry for what she's gone through.

I do think she's very, very badly advised and she should really get rid of mr PR man and try to get on with what remains of her life. She has other kids, doesn't she? She should be focusing on them; making the most of her time with them the way she didn't have the opportunity to do so with James.

It just seems to me that she's caught in a vicious circle now and can't seem to find a way (or doesn't want to find a way) to get off. Maybe it's all that's keeping her going; but you know, the hatred she feels is not doing her personally any favours. It must be eating her up all the time and that's not a way to live.

Doing something positive with James's name, as other bereaved parents have done with the names of their murdered children would give her a far better focus and help others as well.

Unfortunately, she isn't the only mother to lose a child to murder (and neither is the murder the most awful ever to happen. There have been far worse - for instance, a 17-year old school girl was tortured for 44 days by some youths before she was finally killed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta ).

It's all desperately sad. No one should have to go through what Mrs Fergus and her family went through. Or what any parent who has lost a child to murder has gone through - or indeed, anyone who has ever lost anyone (including brothers, sisters, mothers, father, grandparents etc).

Each murder is horrible. And there's always someone left to live with it all. She's not alone in that, sadly.
  • ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all we know, he's being assessed and they think he's still a danger to children. I would imagine that they want to be damned sure this time around before they release him again.

I agree. David James Smith said a month ago (during the anniversary of James' death) that he is not sure that Venables will ever be released again. And he it will be incredibly difficult to release him again.
  • SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he hung like a horse?

What was your motivation for this post, when discussing John Venables with a FM who has slept with him? It worries me that someone who works in the criminal justice system rehabilitation program's would ask this.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Soupbowl wrote: »
    What was your motivation for this post, when discussing John Venables with a FM who has slept with him? It worries me that someone who works in the criminal justice system rehabilitation program's would ask this.
    What is your motivation for dragging up an old post that you've already responded to? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    What is your motivation for dragging up an old post that you've already responded to? :p

It's a legitimate question, uncomfortable I accept, but definitely legitimate. Didn't get an answer last time. Try not to get yourself into a flap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a legitimate question, uncomfortable I accept, but definitely legitimate. Didn't get an answer last time. Try not to get yourself into a flap.

It was clearly a joke. I've already said I don't believe the poster in question. That you took it as a serious question rather says more about you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He'll be released at some stage. That is a certainty.
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well where you see "rose-tinted glasses" I see a practical approach based on actual knowledge of the workings of the justice system.

But then, to be honest, your post falls over here ..

.. because it just puts you in the bracket of people who consider trying to understand what makes a person do what they do as "compassion" or "condoning".

But then i'm also baffled ..

You claim ..

.. that these types of cases "haunt" you, yet you seem willing to ignore the abuse that T&V suffered growing up. Is this so you can be perceived as wanting "Justice for Jamie" ?

^^This.

I mentioned in an earlier post how bizarre it is that seeking understanding of criminal behaviour and taking a rational and practical approach is seen as condoning the behaviour.

Bonkers.

As for the old chestnut describing Anais' interest in Venables rehabilitation as being "obsessive"......:rolleyes:
    Forum Member

As she didn't answer last time, maybe she prefers not to say. She doesn't have to, no matter how many times people try and push her into it.

I don't get into a flap, as you very well know. ;)
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand the hate - even a desire for vengeance. My understanding stops when that becomes almost a career and when there are really nasty things said about other people merely because they don't agree with her. Demanding professional, well respected people lose their jobs because they said something you don't like is bullying. And she IS a bully.

I agree. I cannot begin to imagine the pain she must have gone through, and still be going through. But that doesn't mean that she is not a nasty person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Media ****
    Nasty person
    Bully:rolleyes:

But it's ok because you have all mitigated yourselves by saying "what she went through was not nice" BUT.....

Stuck the boot in anyway.

What you really want to know is;

"Was he hung like horse"
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Media ****
    Nasty person

But it's ok because you have all mitigated yourselves by saying "what she went through was not nice" BUT.....

"Was he hung like horse"

Really? I could have sworn only one person made that joke. Personally, I have no interest in his nether regions.
    Forum Member
    Media ****
    Nasty person

"Was he hung like horse"

Yet it was you who dragged that post up from pages ago, nobody else is interested.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    No it doesn't.
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Media ****
    Nasty person

"Was he hung like horse"

I have no desire to know what anyone's nether regions are like. Stop trying to ascribe motivations or quotes to everyone ad hoc.

It really is becoming rather tiresome.
  • Buffy AnneBuffy Anne Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Some of the posters in this thread beggar belief.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If anyone can't understand why Denise has become the way she is, you just aren't in touch with reality at all. It's crazy, but sadly not surprising, that some posters would rather extend their understanding towards Jon Venables than to Denise. As for making any kind of jokes in a topic like this - urgh.

What a sorry society we live in. I despair.
    Forum Member
    Buffy Anne wrote: »
    Some of the posters in this thread beggar belief.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If anyone can't understand why Denise has become the way she is, you just aren't in touch with reality at all. It's crazy, but sadly not surprising, that some posters would rather extend their understanding towards Jon Venables than to Denise. As for making any kind of jokes in a topic like this - urgh.

What a sorry society we live in. I despair.

I don't think anyone has said that. It doesn't make her immune to criticism though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Media ****
    Nasty person
    Bully

Not criticism, just insults im afraid. There is a very low class of poster that frequents this thread.
This discussion has been closed.