Options

Do you have OCD?

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd love to talk and find out more about OCD.

I think people always think it's about cleaning! But I have found my OCD to be over the most unexplainable things! I don't really have "physical" OCD in terms of having to check things or touch things but sometimes my mind can change very quickly on certain topics and interests, causing distress and confusion in the meantime. Kind of like nothing's concrete or set in stone.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I'd love to talk and find out more about OCD.

I think people always think it's about cleaning! But I have found my OCD to be over the most unexplainable things! I don't really have "physical" OCD in terms of having to check things or touch things but sometimes my mind can change very quickly on certain topics and interests, causing distress and confusion in the meantime. Kind of like nothing's concrete or set in stone.

no, i don't think so
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Someone will claim they gave OCD. Someone else will claim they don't have real OCD. Someone will try to stifle discussion by saying go to a doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no, i don't think so

Oh OK darlin!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't think so.

Same here.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    no, i don't think so

Caps. Full stop. AARGH!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spell out words, by tapping them in sequence on the fingers of my left hand. If it's a word of more than five letters I go back to the first finger. But that means I invariably finish the spelling mid hand with a couple of fingers unused. That makes me uncomfortable, so I have to cycle the word spell until it ends with my last (little) finger. :blush:

I don't realise I'm doing it until I find myself tapping on a table or my leg and I'm using a word that someone has just spoken or I've heard on TV. It starts subconsciously, but once I realise, I have to finish the sequence as per the above paragraph. :blush:

Other than that I'm perfectly normal :D
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In various forms since childhood.:(
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'm reluctant to set my volume to anything other than a multiple of 5.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but I've learnt to control it pretty much. Sort of. It was to do with my BDD and involved pinching my skin around my jaw and having to constantly check myself in mirrors every 5 minutes. Nothing to do with cleaning. Weirdly I posted about this in another thread a couple of hours ago.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes. It rules my life.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in a cleaning sense no, my home is a shambles but I do like my numbers to be nice and orderly. When I was learning to play the drums, I liked to count in my head, it helped keep the rhythm but I soon discovered I couldn't do a 3 beat, I had to double it and do six, all my drumming has to be an even number otherwise it just fries my brain.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I spell out words, by tapping them in sequence on the fingers of my left hand. If it's a word of more than five letters I go back to the first finger. But that means I invariably finish the spelling mid hand with a couple of fingers unused. That makes me uncomfortable, so I have to cycle the word spell until it ends with my last (little) finger. :blush:

I don't realise I'm doing it until I find myself tapping on a table or my leg and I'm using a word that someone has just spoken or I've heard on TV. It starts subconsciously, but once I realise, I have to finish the sequence as per the above paragraph. :blush:

Other than that I'm perfectly normal :D

I do exactly that. Mine have to fit in or else it's start again - until I realise what I'm doing and shake myself out of it. :blush:
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to set my volume to anything other than a multiple of 5.

I never put my volume on an odd number. It always has to be an even number. I do most things in even numbers. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Mine's that bad I have to call it CDO.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have proper, certified by a clinician OCD :D after PTSD.

For me it's about control. Cleaning doesn't enter into it at all. Was actually told by anurse ast ATOSit wasn't OCD because I dont clean. :confused: so there's lots of misconceptions about it. In fact many of the cleaners who go to my group dont actually have OCD butthey like the support of people who understand their urges. I have a ritual in the morning, do things in sequence of 4's or 16's, wont throw certain things out incase something bad happens when I dont have it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Yeah. If there is a inly tiny dirt in a a clean area . I have to move it with my foot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also have the thing of "If I don't do this...this will happen"

(similar to the episode of 'cucumber' last night with the girl on the bus..."if the woman looks up at me, I'll go on the date!")
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mrs has it, but it's improving through CBT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The Mrs has it, but it's improving through CBT.

How is learning to ride a motorbike going to help?
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I do the washing up I arrange the cutlery in a certain way. I always clean the cooker on a Thursday and always change my bed on a Saturday. Other than that I am not too fussed.
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a psychologist and I have to deal with OCD every day of my life.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't let the door hit you five times on the way out.
  • Options
    cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Yes, I am receiving treatment for it and its generally under control but I still have my moments. Mine is irrational thoughts based OCD - it began to become a problem for me years ago when every plane I saw i was certain was dropping anthrax spores. Unfortunately we live at the end of a small airport runway .........
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the opposite of OCD?

Lazy Disorganised Syndrome? I think I have that.
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Yes. I used to have a lot of trouble with rituals. At one point I had to touch all of the things in my bedroom made of wood 3 or 5 times each on every odd minute I was in it excluding 13 past the hour excluding during sleep obviously. That's pretty much under control now but I still have the horrible thoughts.