Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    Why is that woman so ugly?

Not sure who you mean.:confused:

I wanted to like this show - there a lot of interesting history and science to be told - but the whole thing was just so dull. 5/5 for the idea, 1/5 for the execution.
  • Options
    AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Not sure who you mean.:confused:

The main woman. It looks like she's wearing a prosthetic nose.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charming.

BTW, what do you think of the actual programme?
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family is really enjoying this, it would be just right for a Sunday evening rather than a Thursday.

No need to be rude about the participants though, I don't look so good without make up myself
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a real eye-opener when you see the participants attempting to recreate some of the things that the Victorians has and used. Didn't much care for those leeches last week though. :(
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why isnt episode 3 on this week?
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't grabbed me like Victorian Farm did. Perhaps because Alex and Peter shared the presentation. I'm finding Ruth a bit over powering as the major contributor unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How terribly thoughtful - I hear she speaks very highly of you.

I am enjoying this series - not as much as Victorian Farm/Tales From The Green Valley, but it is very interesting indeed...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Victorian Farm, but Victorian Pharmacy seems a bit thin to me, as if they don't really have enough interesting material to fill it.

Good way of presenting social history though. They could have programmes like Victorian Army, Victorian School etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=davidseven;42386892]It hasn't grabbed me like Victorian Farm did. Perhaps because Alex and Peter shared the presentation. I'm finding Ruth a bit over powering as the major contributor unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it would certainly benefit from their input.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidseven wrote: »
    It hasn't grabbed me like Victorian Farm did. Perhaps because Alex and Peter shared the presentation. I'm finding Ruth a bit over powering as the major contributor unfortunately.

Sadly the producers seem to think they have found a great new quirky Sister Wendy or Barbara Woodhouse type 'character' and are intent on exploiting her like mad to the detriment of the programmes and to the detriment of her own career probably too. Ruth is great but we watched the Victorian Farm because it was intelligent and informative and precisely because it wasn't made with naff celebrities or the usual starry watch-me presenters. She should be used like the Victorian quack medicines - in small, regular doses, and simply as a communicator of information based on her own areas of expertise.

The other thing that's wrong with this show is BBC fear and political correctness: they dug up worms but wouldn't use them for fear of harming them - yet the fluffy animals on the farm went to slaughter. Are they terrfied of worm rights groups? They keep telling us about great Victorian medicines and potent ingredients then give the patients an EU certified version with all the active ingredients taken out. I keep thinking, what's the point of recreating it in such a half-hearted way? If you aren't going to actually do it, why bother dressing up and going through the motions? On the Victorian Farm they appeared to be living in the 19th century. Here they appear to be in a modern, cleaned up, sanitised TV series and it's much less watchable as a result. I think it's the wrong format for this subject matter, they'd have been better doing the Victorian Factory.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are you so shallow and superficial? :rolleyes:

The programme is OK but isn't a patch on Victorian Fam, which just happens to be repeated on Yesterday at the moment! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victorian School would be a good idea. They could teach kids tables and how to spell.

Of course they wouldn't be able to belt the kids.

I've just had a brilliant idea. Victorian Construction Site. They could build a house using Victorian materials and not using any power tools.

Who do I write to with my ideas?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying both but have missed the Vicotiran Pharmacy since the 1st one. Or mayve I haven't? I can't remember what days it was on.

The main lady went from the farm to the pharmacy series straight away so is mall nurished as their farm struggled from what I remember?! I hope the pharmacy explores lip balm for her
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    They keep telling us about great Victorian medicines and potent ingredients then give the patients an EU certified version with all the active ingredients taken out. I keep thinking, what's the point of recreating it in such a half-hearted way?
    Maybe the stark reality is that victorian medicines were actually useless, or worse than useless. Although they had all these "folk remedies", they didn't have anything like proper medical procedures, anesthetics or antibiotics. They simply were incapable of diagnosing anything that didn't exhibit external symptoms and had almost no clue about what caused most medical conditions,. Most of their "treatments" involved amputating limbs or putting the patient to bed - where they'd either get better of their own accord (more or less), or just die.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see Ben Fogles escape in time using the same estate as they did in Victorian Farm. Clumper was on yesterday too. I don't like the Pharmacy as much as the Farm but I think Ruth Goodman is really interesting :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

What an idiotic post.

On another note, I'm really enjoying the show, and certainly just as much as I did Victorian Farm. I think it's a great idea, seeing how chemistry and medicine goes from the dark arts and utter fantasy, into something scientific and actually useful.

Great series. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »

The other thing that's wrong with this show is BBC fear and political correctness: they dug up worms but wouldn't use them for fear of harming them - yet the fluffy animals on the farm went to slaughter. Are they terrfied of worm rights groups?

Only the militant ones.:D
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    Victorian School would be a good idea. They could teach kids tables and how to spell.

Of course they wouldn't be able to belt the kids.

I've just had a brilliant idea. Victorian Construction Site. They could build a house using Victorian materials and not using any power tools.

Who do I write to with my ideas?

Me. I'll give you 5% of everything I make from them. PM me now with more brilliant concepts - in complete confidence, of course.
  • Options
    nilocniloc Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But her daugther Eve is hot
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is on at 10pm tonight on bbc2, is it a new series or a repeat? i cant find any listings that says its either :confused: or are the bbc misleading us and it is a repeat but dont want it to be counted as yet another repeat on their channels
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It seems like a repeat to me, going by the reading on the EPG -

''1/8. Documentary series recreating a 19th-century pharmacy. The team discover the world of pharmacy in 1837, when traditional remedies such as leeches were popular and regularly used''.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems like a repeat to me, going by the reading on the EPG -

''1/8. Documentary series recreating a 19th-century pharmacy. The team discover the world of pharmacy in 1837, when traditional remedies such as leeches were popular and regularly used''.

well thats what i thought really, but rather deceitful