Options

San Francisco Baby!

2»

Comments

• Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lived there for three years in the Richmond district. Loved it. Weather very changeable to be sure but it you fancy a blast of constant heat Santa cruz is only down the road. Would recommend a visit to marin county just over the golden gate bridge - it's v nice
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do go on the trams - great fun! The Rock was worth it IMHO. Got pictures of me behind bars in Alcatraz.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to San Francisco in June. I was only there for three nights but really enjoyed it.

I was surprised by how cooler it was compared to back home, it never climbed above 20°C during the day and it was quite foggy and chilly in the morning. It's because of the city's geographical position, surrounded north, east and west by sea and winds that moderate the typical warm Californian climate. It was interesting to take the BART train further south to suburbs like Burlingame and San Mateo and it find it so much hotter in comparison.

The food is delicious everywhere you go. The inn I stayed at was further away from downtown San Francisco and nearer the Golden Gate bridge, but there were an assortment of American and Asian restaurants, coffee shops, bars and gourmet delicatessens to eat in. Its Chinatown is by far the biggest I've ever been to, and you'll find yourself spoilt for choice with with places to eat.

The old trams/streetcars are a must. There are only a handful of lines running but it is a nice way to see the city, and its nice for meeting/talking to strangers.

The hippie/liberal legacy has left its mark on the city (universal health care, hospitality towards the homeless, the sheer number of Prius owners!). I found San Franciscans very warm, friendly and down to earth. It's a whole world away from its horrid southern neighbour, Los Angeles.

Crime is virtually non-existent in the city, or at least the likelihood of you being a victim of crime is very low.

For cheap flights just look at the usual cheap service providers, such as Skyscanner and Crystal Travel. I got a one way ticket for about £350 (I travelled all the way across the US).

I looked at this site for cheap budget accommodation - http://www.travellerspoint.com/budget-accommodation-en-ci-1108.html

Be aware though that San Francisco is quite expensive, just like New York. Take plenty of money especially if you plan on dining out.
  • Options
    redberryredberry Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was there in May two years ago and loved it. We stayed in the youth hostel in Fort Mason. It was a great place to stay. Very near Fishermans Wharf.

There is a lovely vegetarian restaurant in the fort too called Greens. It is very reasonable and you can look out to sea while your eat.

I want to go back again tomorrow but funds wont allow at present.

If you get there you will love it.

B.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crime is virtually non-existent in the city, or at least the likelihood of you being a victim of crime is very low.

Well it does have an above average crime rate. But not so much that you're in any real danger, especially just spending a few weeks visiting.