What are you writing at the moment?

Comments

• trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Well, I finished, proofed and edited my novel and put it up for sale on Amazon. Excited and slightly nervous; glad I did something with it, because I've been writing it for nearly two years.

You didn't want to try and find a publisher then? Well done anyway, are you going to post a link?
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    You didn't want to try and find a publisher then? Well done anyway, are you going to post a link?

To be honest I never planned to find a publisher for this book. I didn't start out writing it with a view to getting it published, but it just ended up being a gutsy little novella I'm quietly proud of.

I'm useless at self-promotion, but since you asked...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-B-ebook/dp/B00DAH1H20/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370951694&sr=1-1&keywords=miss+b

I'm working at my second novel now, and I think that's a bit more conventional and more likely to appeal to a publisher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I never planned to find a publisher for this book. I didn't start out writing it with a view to getting it published, but it just ended up being a gutsy little novella I'm quietly proud of.

Sounds good, if I had a Kindle I'd take a look. Sounds like there's a certain amount of autobiography there...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, if I had a Kindle I'd take a look. Sounds like there's a certain amount of autobiography there...

You can buy it for a non kindle device if you have an Amazon account. You can even download it to your PC... Go on, be the first one to give it a review. :D

BIB is another reason why I'm not overly keen to go 'Look! Family, friends, here is a book what I wrote!' People will assume that because I was a teacher this book must be about me. I'm worried that they'll think that I'm the protagonist and therefore slightly psychotic and unbalanced. Plus when you read about Rachel's past (it's really awful) I would hate for anyone to think it's a reflection on my own family. Our lives couldn't be more different. People don't seem to give me credit for having an imagination. If it seems real, it's not because it's based on my experiences.
    I learnt my lesson about not putting too much of yourself into a character. Rachel is pure fiction. If I'm honest, if she was based on a real person I don't think I'd like her very much, let alone want to be her....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll look into that when I have some time, crazy busy at the moment. Is it easy to publish on Amazon Kindle? That's something I'll look into with mine if I don't manage to get a publisher interested...
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm useless at self-promotion, but since you asked...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-B-ebook/dp/B00DAH1H20/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370951694&sr=1-1&keywords=miss+b

I'm working at my second novel now, and I think that's a bit more conventional and more likely to appeal to a publisher.

Just browsing this thread so read your link, sounds like an interesting story, I may well give that a try soon. :)

I haven't done any writing for myself for a long long time, not since I was at school really. But recently I have practised just writing a very,very short (just under 500 words) 'scene' to try and get back into it.

And now I am doing some research to try and start writing an article relating to my academic interests. If I can write something good enough I hope to submit it and see if it can be published in the 'new voices' part of my subject's magazine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I've just read the kindle 'look inside' excerpt and it's very good. I have an MA in Creative Writing and have read some rubbish at times, but that was really engaging and carried me along nicely :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll look into that when I have some time, crazy busy at the moment. Is it easy to publish on Amazon Kindle? That's something I'll look into with mine if I don't manage to get a publisher interested...
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    Just browsing this thread so read your link, sounds like an interesting story, I may well give that a try soon. :)

I haven't done any writing for myself for a long long time, not since I was at school really. But recently I have practised just writing a very,very short (just under 500 words) 'scene' to try and get back into it.

And now I am doing some research to try and start writing an article relating to my academic interests. If I can write something good enough I hope to submit it and see if it can be published in the 'new voices' part of my subject's magazine.
    lisa_joli wrote: »
    I've just read the kindle 'look inside' excerpt and it's very good. I have an MA in Creative Writing and have read some rubbish at times, but that was really engaging and carried me along nicely :)

Just got back off holiday and it's really made me smile to read those comments. :)

Have sold a small number of books, but no reviews yet. I've decided to put my book on promotion on July 1, 2 and 3, so you can read it then for free!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-B-ebook/dp/B00DAH1H20/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1372519109&sr=1-1&keywords=miss+b
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lisa_joli wrote: »

Are you enjoying doing an MA in Creative Writing? I did a joint honours in the subject, but ended up training as a teacher for my post-grad. Would love to go back to being a student and having a valid excuse to spend all day writing!
  • MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you enjoying doing an MA in Creative Writing? I did a joint honours in the subject, but ended up training as a teacher for my post-grad. Would love to go back to being a student and having a valid excuse to spend all day writing!

That's the beauty of Amazon KDP - you just don't know what can happen.Three years ago I put three books up, a year later I added another 2 and they started to sell. Today I will sell my 100,000th ebook!

Then you'll have a far better excuse to spend every day writing :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzski wrote: »
    That's the beauty of Amazon KDP - you just don't know what can happen.Three years ago I put three books up, a year later I added another 2 and they started to sell. Today I will sell my 100,000th ebook!

Then you'll have a far better excuse to spend every day writing :D

That's amazing!

I have sold nowhere near that amount. It's somewhere between 3 and 100,000, but much closer to 3. (Okay, it's 3).
    July 1 - 3 I'm giving it away for free to try and get a few reviews. Promotion takes so much time, and it's time I'd rather be writing!
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's amazing!

I have sold nowhere near that amount. It's somewhere between 3 and 100,000, but much closer to 3. (Okay, it's 3).
    July 1 - 3 I'm giving it away for free to try and get a few reviews. Promotion takes so much time, and it's time I'd rather be writing!

Just put it on my Kindle - looks interesting! Promo is the hard part, eh? Good luck with it. Really hope it does well for you - you deserve it.

ETA: Curious.... How do you go about getting the cover art for these? I always think the covers make or break and although I have an eye for design, could never design anything myself. So I always wonder how you get the art?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Just put it on my Kindle - looks interesting! Promo is the hard part, eh? Good luck with it. Really hope it does well for you - you deserve it.

ETA: Curious.... How do you go about getting the cover art for these? I always think the covers make or break and although I have an eye for design, could never design anything myself. So I always wonder how you get the art?

Thank you. I hope you enjoy reading it. :)

I know you're not a fan of self-publishing Hogzilla, but I put the same effort into this as I would something I'd send to an agent or publisher. It didn't feel the right length or genre to go down the traditional publishing route, but it felt right to release it in some format.
    Promo is very much the worst bit for me. It's a bus man's holiday as it's part of my daily job, but it's also time-consuming and I have a horror of being thought pushy or boastful or egotistical. I'm naturally self-depricating so it's hard to say 'hi, you don't know me, but buy my book!' I could never work in sales.

Over 70 copies have gone free on promotion, and it still has one day to go. I'm not in it to make money - I'm just pleased that 70 people have thought it worth downloading!

Design wise - it's a copyright free image, with the text added in Paint. I wanted something gritty-looking, but if I'm honest my graphic skills wouldn't stretch much further than using Publisher or Gimp. We have no marketing budget at work this year, so we have to design our own posters and newsletters, and I've picked up a few tips from the professional designers I've worked with over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I hope you enjoy reading it. :)

I know you're not a fan of self-publishing Hogzilla, but I put the same effort into this as I would something I'd send to an agent or publisher. It didn't feel the right length or genre to go down the traditional publishing route, but it felt right to release it in some format.
    Promo is very much the worst bit for me. It's a bus man's holiday as it's part of my daily job, but it's also time-consuming and I have a horror of being thought pushy or boastful or egotistical. I'm naturally self-depricating so it's hard to say 'hi, you don't know me, but buy my book!' I could never work in sales.

Over 70 copies have gone free on promotion, and it still has one day to go. I'm not in it to make money - I'm just pleased that 70 people have thought it worth downloading!

Design wise - it's a copyright free image, with the text added in Paint. I wanted something gritty-looking, but if I'm honest my graphic skills wouldn't stretch much further than using Publisher or Gimp. We have no marketing budget at work this year, so we have to design our own posters and newsletters, and I've picked up a few tips from the professional designers I've worked with over the years.
    Ah - just read the opening and am enjoying it. I think your cover looks fine - I have always wondered how people do it!

I'm not a fan of self publishing, but do know people in non fiction who I really rate who do self publish but they already were published elsewhere, maybe and have a good following, and employ tech editors themselves, and know a lot more about design and layout than I ever could. In an ideal world, I'd rather take 100% of the profit myself, so get why some people self publish. And looking at your stuff so far, can see that with a bit of luck behind you, you are one of those who would find a publisher and are of that calibre.

I feel at the bottom of the food chain as writer at the mo as you realise your creativity is the reason other people get jobs but then when it comes to major decisions, you are simply utterly expendable - and I have realised the tech editor will probably make more money out of my book than I will. I am about to pitch a second book to a different publisher and feel fairly sure they'll bite (their magazines are already publishing my stuff and they are the biggest in the field). But I still feel a bit disillusioned that I seem to be the last person who can profit directly from a word I write as so many others take a cut first. So I am beginning to totally understand the benefits of self publishing (once I'm more established). For me, I can't make money from books but they are a sort of shop front I need so I can book workshops and talks, where I can make a real income. I'd rely on them for the technical side, the art and most of all, distribution so I have given up on thinking I can make money from writing books but still need them out so I can make a living teaching. People tend to want to come to your classes if they've heard of you. When I write articles, I tend to think of them as essentially ads where they pay me instead of me paying them!

If you do promo for a living or even just as part of your job, eluf, seize those skills and embrace them! If I had your skills, I would definitely think of self publishing as the longer I stay around publishers, even nice ones, the more I start to feel pretty well expendable. The readers are brilliant though - however you get published, that is just a mechanism for them to find you.

Wish I had some practical info for you on how to market yourself writing for Kindle - there are probably writers' forums that have good pointers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah - just read the opening and am enjoying it. I think your cover looks fine - I have always wondered how people do it!

I'm not a fan of self publishing, but do know people in non fiction who I really rate who do self publish but they already were published elsewhere, maybe and have a good following, and employ tech editors themselves, and know a lot more about design and layout than I ever could. In an ideal world, I'd rather take 100% of the profit myself, so get why some people self publish. And looking at your stuff so far, can see that with a bit of luck behind you, you are one of those who would find a publisher and are of that calibre.

I feel at the bottom of the food chain as writer at the mo as you realise your creativity is the reason other people get jobs but then when it comes to major decisions, you are simply utterly expendable - and I have realised the tech editor will probably make more money out of my book than I will. I am about to pitch a second book to a different publisher and feel fairly sure they'll bite (their magazines are already publishing my stuff and they are the biggest in the field). But I still feel a bit disillusioned that I seem to be the last person who can profit directly from a word I write as so many others take a cut first. So I am beginning to totally understand the benefits of self publishing (once I'm more established). For me, I can't make money from books but they are a sort of shop front I need so I can book workshops and talks, where I can make a real income. I'd rely on them for the technical side, the art and most of all, distribution so I have given up on thinking I can make money from writing books but still need them out so I can make a living teaching. People tend to want to come to your classes if they've heard of you. When I write articles, I tend to think of them as essentially ads where they pay me instead of me paying them!

If you do promo for a living or even just as part of your job, eluf, seize those skills and embrace them! If I had your skills, I would definitely think of self publishing as the longer I stay around publishers, even nice ones, the more I start to feel pretty well expendable. The readers are brilliant though - however you get published, that is just a mechanism for them to find you.

Wish I had some practical info for you on how to market yourself writing for Kindle - there are probably writers' forums that have good pointers.

I remember my GCSE Business exam paper had a diagram showing how the sales of the average CD were distributed - and only 5p out of each disk sold went to the artists themselves. That shocked me, so I can understand why you're feeling hacked off with the publishing industry. I've always been curious as to what you actually write about - but as your career is firmly tied-in with your writing I suppose it makes sense for you to continue working with publishing houses and building yourself as a brand.

Because of the way I write, I don't ever sit down and think 'I'm going to write a genre novel.' I don't see the end product until I actually have it on the screen in front of me, and then I think about what (if anything) I'm going to do with it. I'm lucky that it can be a hobby for me, because it wouldn't be much fun to have to paint-by-numbers and follow a strict treatment or work to tight deadlines and meet word counts. That's what I do 9 - 5.

For me writing is a hobby (more of an obsession actually) and I don't look to make any financial gain by it. At the risk of sounding precious or pretentious, I do it simply because characters come along and I feel the urge to tell their stories. It all starts with a voice in my head, and I don't even know what format the story is going to take, which is why I write most narratives as both prose and scripts until something 'clicks' into place. I keep writing until I feel as though I've done a protagonist justice, and then I step back, edit, edit and edit until I'm happy with the quality. Once or twice I've ended up with something I feel is a finished product, but most of the time I don't, and I have to try a new approach.

I sound schizophrenic talking of all these voices, but I went to a workshop with a writer and realised how totally character-driven I am when I found myself talking about my imaginary people as though they were real. I didn't feel as though I'd invented them. The writer assured me that I wasn't mad - just possessed of a vivid imagination! Since that workshop I've started believing in myself and decided that I was going to put my work 'out there' and see what reaction I got. Dave Grohl said, 'Don't try to make it. Make music, and if it's good, people will listen.' So far I don't regret sharing my work.

Indie publishing is a way for me to express myself without having to compromise. I set my own quality control standards, and because they're naturally high I seem to pass muster. (Thanks for the comment about being 'of that calibre' :))

I admire people who have the guts to rely on their skills and talent and make a living as writers. I love writing, but at the moment I just want to enjoy telling stories without the worry of having to make a living from doing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a sound attitude! I could only go into writing at all as I was at home caring for my disabled son anyway so at the point I started, had nothing to lose by taking a punt. But I don't think I'd have given up a job - any job - for this.;) If you can work and write, that is the ideal world as you can grow your readership, and hopefully get to a point where you may be able to take that leap! If not - at least you get to write. And from what I've read so far - you are a writer. Re. self publishing, my main exposure to it was a couple of disparate headtheballs - who were in it for the ego (Dropping "my book" into conversations, etc;))

I'll have a read over the weekend and give you a review down the week - although cos I don't have any contacts in fiction, don't have any more practical way to get the word out. It is all about that - spreading the word. :D

The stuff I write - non-fiction - crosses over several slightly unrelated fields and some really niche stuff. But the basis of it is history. I get my stories from museums and archives and although I say it is non fiction, think of it as sharing stories of people who are long gone.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started of Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. Audiobook 31 hours. I've been putting this off for ages after finding the book versions of Pillars and World Without End hard going.

This is ok so far, Welsh mining accident and run up to WW1. I find his writing style slow and laborious, will see how it goes.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've started of Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. Audiobook 31 hours. I've been putting this off for ages after finding the book versions of Pillars and World Without End hard going.

This is ok so far, Welsh mining accident and run up to WW1. I find his writing style slow and laborious, will see how it goes.

Sorry, wrong thread!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a sound attitude! I could only go into writing at all as I was at home caring for my disabled son anyway so at the point I started, had nothing to lose by taking a punt. But I don't think I'd have given up a job - any job - for this.;) If you can work and write, that is the ideal world as you can grow your readership, and hopefully get to a point where you may be able to take that leap! If not - at least you get to write. And from what I've read so far - you are a writer. Re. self publishing, my main exposure to it was a couple of disparate headtheballs - who were in it for the ego (Dropping "my book" into conversations, etc;))

I'll have a read over the weekend and give you a review down the week - although cos I don't have any contacts in fiction, don't have any more practical way to get the word out. It is all about that - spreading the word. :D

The stuff I write - non-fiction - crosses over several slightly unrelated fields and some really niche stuff. But the basis of it is history. I get my stories from museums and archives and although I say it is non fiction, think of it as sharing stories of people who are long gone.

From your previous posts, I imagined you writing for a geneaology magazine or historical publications. I wasn't too far wrong! Do you mind me asking how you got started?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From your previous posts, I imagined you writing for a geneaology magazine or historical publications. I wasn't too far wrong! Do you mind me asking how you got started?

Ah no worries - I like sharing this as it may help other people to get a toehold.

I cut my teeth writing for magazines that were fairly wide circulation but didn't pay writers. One in particular, that I heard was about to start, and I emailed the editor and just floated an idea for a series of articles. She bit. Because I was in at the start, I got in every issue and got more and more space. As it got established, she got some really well known people in that field, to write pieces (also unpaid but often they don't mind if it's promo for a book they have out, or whatever). So I suddenly found my name in some good company.

What helped me was my friend and I had a five year plan. We were both at home with young kids and she was a talented artist, getting into digital art (this was the late 1990s). So we went to places as a package - they would always take my words because what they really wanted was her art. I knew from my own time editing, writers are ten a penny but decent art is another thing entirely...

She didn't get paid either but we planned on doing it for a couple of years to build a portfolio, kind of thing, then start to approach people who would pay us. This was a useful time because we learned a few tricks of the trade, saw what readers liked, and honed our style.

Slowly, over time, editors saw my stuff and asked for something new or asked to re-print something old - and gradually I started being paid. Then it got pretty quickly to the point that they were getting good reader feedback, so they'd ask me back and the next time, pay me more. Sometimes, I'd simply write less for the same amount of money after a time.

It is as easy as this. You have to come up with an incredible idea for a piece - then pitch it. I never write a word til the thing is already sold. I don't send articles cold, as a rule - the hard part is pitching your piece in a way that makes it sound so great, they can't not take it. I also do my own picture research, which editors like - it cause me some admin and headaches, as I have to sort permissions and obviously want them free or at a huge discount.;) I mention this as it is a good way to sell yourself to editors/publishers, if they sense you can turn on the charm and get free permissions for great images, they are more likely to want your piece.;)

Meantime, my friend had some really bad challenges in her life and she had to give up the art, temporarily. At the same time, my friend was only producing art on a certain subject matter (she's brilliant, btw) - and I was moving into different fields, so we parted the ways.

Best breakthrough was when an editor was told by someone on a large forum that I might be a good bet for an article about something - I still don't know who that was but it has led to most of what I do, now.

I did get to the point when I decided not to work for free any more, but that was how I got started as having that track record meant I could show editors what I'd done. Easy for me to say as I could afford to work for nothing for a couple of years - I was stuck at home anyway, and so I wasn't risking anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Best breakthrough was when an editor was told by someone on a large forum that I might be a good bet for an article about something - I still don't know who that was but it has led to most of what I do, now.

I did get to the point when I decided not to work for free any more, but that was how I got started as having that track record meant I could show editors what I'd done. Easy for me to say as I could afford to work for nothing for a couple of years - I was stuck at home anyway, and so I wasn't risking anything.

Road to success -
    Have good ideas
    Be willing to work for free (at least at the beginning)
    Learn how to pitch an idea
    Get your name out there

Sounds so easy.

Suppose I'm quite lucky as through work I've met quite a lot of media and literary people; some of whom are big names in Wales. They know me through work projects, but also know I'm a writer.
    I've only had one review on Amazon, but the number of professional people who've messaged me to say they've enjoyed my book is actually quite mind-blowing. I'm embarassed by all the nice feedback I've had. I don't feel as though my book is deserving of it. Aside from the fact that they're all influential in their fields, I'm just massively touched that they've contacted me.
    Sales of the book don't mean half as much to me as feedback from people whose opinion I respect.Right now I've still only sold 3 copies (but given away 200+ more in a promotion) but I think the book was worth writing as it might be a gateway to another project. I knew it wouldn't sell in huge quantities, but it proves that I know my way around a keyboard.
    Fingers crossed Hogzilla that I'll get the same lucky break you did!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Road to success -
    Have good ideas
    Be willing to work for free (at least at the beginning)
    Learn how to pitch an idea
    Get your name out there

Sounds so easy.

Suppose I'm quite lucky as through work I've met quite a lot of media and literary people; some of whom are big names in Wales. They know me through work projects, but also know I'm a writer.
    I've only had one review on Amazon, but the number of professional people who've messaged me to say they've enjoyed my book is actually quite mind-blowing. I'm embarassed by all the nice feedback I've had. I don't feel as though my book is deserving of it. Aside from the fact that they're all influential in their fields, I'm just massively touched that they've contacted me.
    Sales of the book don't mean half as much to me as feedback from people whose opinion I respect.Right now I've still only sold 3 copies (but given away 200+ more in a promotion) but I think the book was worth writing as it might be a gateway to another project. I knew it wouldn't sell in huge quantities, but it proves that I know my way around a keyboard.
    Fingers crossed Hogzilla that I'll get the same lucky break you did!

Eluf, from what I've read so far, you have something. Truly.Read first two chapters on train tonight and didn't want to put it down! Really great, so far. (Ex teacher here so I could tell you were writing from experience.:))

Was thinking about this again, tonight and you know, I think the secret for me was learning the art of the pitch. It's about selling the sh1t out of it, and feeling confident as you do that, that they will love the idea. And I have no idea how I got to this point but when I started to get an instinct for it - what they want - it got so much easier.

Again, non-fic so it is probably a thousand times easier for me than it would be for someone who writes fiction. I don't really know how that's done. I'd love to write fiction but my weak point is plotting. I'm rubbish at it. Whereas with an article, I can get a strong angle, know where I want to go with it, and go right there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eluf, from what I've read so far, you have something. Truly.Read first two chapters on train tonight and didn't want to put it down! Really great, so far. (Ex teacher here so I could tell you were writing from experience.:))

Was thinking about this again, tonight and you know, I think the secret for me was learning the art of the pitch. It's about selling the sh1t out of it, and feeling confident as you do that, that they will love the idea. And I have no idea how I got to this point but when I started to get an instinct for it - what they want - it got so much easier.

Again, non-fic so it is probably a thousand times easier for me than it would be for someone who writes fiction. I don't really know how that's done. I'd love to write fiction but my weak point is plotting. I'm rubbish at it. Whereas with an article, I can get a strong angle, know where I want to go with it, and go right there.

Thank you. Fingers crossed you'll enjoy the rest of it as much as the first two chapters. Nervously awaiting your review!

I think being confident in your work makes a huge difference to how well you pitch a story, and this is one of the first things I've written that I've felt truly confident about. And recently I've become better at summarising my work. I used to flounder about and use too many descriptive words and bring in sub-plots; but of late I've found it easier to hone in on the important details and tell the story in a few words.

I went on a TAPS writing course where we had to pitch an idea to the head writer of Emmerdale, and I waffled for a full 60 seconds. He stopped me and said, 'Really this story is very, very simple: she has to shag him. All the stuff about their work, ex-partners, ethics is window dressing - the story is about her getting a shag.'
    And d'you know what, he was right! Once you find what your story is really about and stop trying to dress it up with fancy words, it becomes so much easier to sell. I don't think in genres and I detest writers who say things like 'my brilliant new novel / eagerly-anticipated anthology. I also hate people who post snippets of reviews on Twitter. A strong concept and a decent writing style are what I look for in a book.

I'm not terribly good at plotting either. I struggled with script writing because it has to be formulaic. Overall I'd say it's my greatest weakness - and after reading Miss B you might agree.

I think the bits in the classroom were the easiest to write because I had the experience of working in a classroom, alternately loving and hating what I did. (And I'll admit it - I did teach a girl called Alicia who had Tinkerbell tattooed on her arse). The rest was harder, because for the record, I have no experience of being arrested, going to court or anything else Rachel has been through. The school is a composite of the worst elements of the two places I worked - incredible poverty and social problems coupled with a 'everything's all right as long as the parents don't complain' attitude from the SMT. It's an exaggerated portrayal of how bad teaching in a rough school can be; but for every character I invented I could tell a true story of a child or teacher who has suffered worse.

I think you should give fiction a try. You have a readership base from your non-fiction, and you know so much about history and it's clear from your posts on here that you characterise with ease and tell a good story. I'd read a book you wrote, just based on your posts on here!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Just published a new story as a serial novel. I've previously self-published in Kindle and paperback format at Amazon, but for my new story I've opted to release it as a free online serial by email. Anyone who registers to follow the story gets a new chapter by email four times a week.

http://www.leonbaileygreen.com/hales/