The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Happy Endings is produced by Sony and they usually cut their fee for shows to get them into syndication, they did with Til Death despite its awful ratings and FOX pulling it and they did it with Rules of Engagement although that's co-produced with CBS and also Community. Happy Endings needs 22-23 episode so they can sell 79-80 episodes for syndication.
    Its a co-production between Sony and ABC Studios. I imagine that the production companies will be willing to reduce the license fee but the issue will be whether ABC want another 20+ episodes of Happy Endings to schedule or not. Especially as its not entirely clear where they'd be able to put them. Normally you might lean toward Friday but they're trying to build a multi-cam block there and Shark Tank does well for them there as well. I suppose maybe as filler between cycles of Dancing with the Stars but that doesn't sound like the greatest option.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Its a co-production between Sony and ABC Studios. I imagine that the production companies will be willing to reduce the license fee but the issue will be whether ABC want another 20+ episodes of Happy Endings to schedule or not. Especially as its not entirely clear where they'd be able to put them. Normally you might lean toward Friday but they're trying to build a multi-cam block there and Shark Tank does well for them there as well. I suppose maybe as filler between cycles of Dancing with the Stars but that doesn't sound like the greatest option.

How about dumping them on a Saturday night? It's strange; it Britain it's considered as one of the biggest nights of the week but is the US it's a burn off period.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    How about dumping them on a Saturday night? It's strange; it Britain it's considered as one of the biggest nights of the week but is the US it's a burn off period.
    I think I'm right in saying that Saturday has a noticeably lower PUT level in the US than any other day of the week. Although obviously you could argue that, that's in large part because the networks don't schedule anything there. I'm not sure I can see ABC putting anything there although CBS did at least consider the option of putting Rules of Engagement there before reality stepped in and it was needed elsewhere. Of course Happy Endings is going to struggle to be as cheap as Rules though given Rules is a multi-cam which can be done relatively cheaply and quickly and Happy Endings is a single cam that can't really...

It'll be easier to work out what realistic options ABC have for Happy Endings, if any, when we see how the first batch of double episodes play out. Its a shame they can't try and sneak an original into the Wednesday line-up to see how if it would rebound to the level it was at last year with a little support. Although given how many comedies they're likely to pilot this year that probably wouldn't tell them much beyond whether Happy Endings could serve as a functional safety net.

The other consideration here is that with Modern Family, The Middle and Suburgatory all certainly coming back next season and probably both Friday night multi-cams get another run plus the unknowns of the still to debut Family Tools and How To Live With Your Parents... and maybe even a crazy season two order for The Neighbours (which seems unlikely admittedly) ABC's comedy slate is potentially very full next season before they even get to picking up new shows. Its a tricky situation. I still think the show has an outside shot though.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    BBC Two's Dancing on the Edge, which has been advertised quite a bit, is starting on the 4th, and then continues on the 5th, it's five parts so I'm not sure why they're showing it across two days, especially those two days. Up against Mrs Brown's Boys and Lewis on the first night, and then Death in Paradise on the second, I thought this would do very well for them but now I'm not so sure.

Unless it's going to continue on Tuesdays, and the 90 minute first episode had to be put Monday due to Sarah Millican on Tuesday at 10. Still seems risky though.

Also, could Ripper Street be moved to Monday on the 11th, the Outnumbered repeat suggests they want that slot free the week after, either for the Ripper Street episode displaced because of the Baftas, or a new series, although I think they would wait until the week after when Lewis has finished to launch anything new.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Although C4 has had their fair share of bad rated programmes in the first few weeks of this year (as you've mentioned), it's worth noting that according to year-to-date overnight rating shares, Channel 4 has done quite well early on in 2013:

In terms of All Day Shares, individuals has fallen -2.1% from 6.51% in the first 22 days of 2012 to 6.37% for the first 22 days of this year. But key demos such as 16-34s is up +3.3% (8.62% to 8.90%) as well as ABC1 Adults being up +7.3% (6.29% to 6.75%).

Primetime performance has been more impressive for C4: individuals is up +4.2% y-o-y (6.64% to 6.92%), 16-34s is up +4.6% (9.49% to 9.93%) and ABC1 Adults is up an even better +11.0% (6.91% to 7.67%).

C4 is up the most in peak time out of all the terrestrial channels. As ad space on the channel is mostly sold based on 16-34s and ABC1 Adults, they've done even better among those audiences year-on-year. Channel 5 though is the only terrestrial channel up year-on-year among individuals in both all day share (+1.3%) and primetime (+3.0%). Note: BARB consolidated shares will be different and comparisons different once recordings are taken into account.

That's really interesting rzt. The ABC1 Adults rise is no surprise, especially with Location jumping up in the ratings. The Undateables has brought massive (well by C4's standards) numbers in the 16-34 demo, as has Hollyoaks and The Simpsons. Will be interesting to see how it does for the rest of Jan and into February.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    I think I'm right in saying that Saturday has a noticeably lower PUT level in the US than any other day of the week. Although obviously you could argue that, that's in large part because the networks don't schedule anything there. I'm not sure I can see ABC putting anything there although CBS did at least consider the option of putting Rules of Engagement there before reality stepped in and it was needed elsewhere. Of course Happy Endings is going to struggle to be as cheap as Rules though given Rules is a multi-cam which can be done relatively cheaply and quickly and Happy Endings is a single cam that can't really...

Weirdly the only network that seems to have success with Saturdays is BBC America with Supernatural Saturdays but aside from that only the kids channel program Saturdays but mostly in the Mornings. Think Lifetime and Hallmark air TV Movies on Saturdays and TBS has The Wedding Band although I suspect that one has been dumped there,
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was only joking. As if the National ITV Awards would have a best documentary category! :)

It did and it was won by Frozen Planet beating One Born Every Minute, Big Fat Gypsy Weddings and Planet Earth Live.

Couple of real :eek::confused: in those nominations but at least the right programme won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Two's Dancing on the Edge, which has been advertised quite a bit, is starting on the 4th, and then continues on the 5th, it's five parts so I'm not sure why they're showing it across two days, especially those two days. Up against Mrs Brown's Boys and Lewis on the first night, and then Death in Paradise on the second, I thought this would do very well for them but now I'm not so sure.

They're putting drama on against drama? Big no-no, BBC, big no-no.:mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creek floundered on its last outing at Easter.

Only because he was on against last ever Touch Of Frost
    Fudd wrote: »

Not in bloody January it isn't.:mad:

:D
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    It did and it was won by Frozen Planet beating One Born Every Minute, Big Fat Gypsy Weddings and Planet Earth Live.

Couple of real :eek::confused: in those nominations but at least the right programme won.

A 2011 programme won?

How?
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    They're putting drama on against drama? Big no-no, BBC, big no-no.:mad::mad::mad:

I'm salivating over the new Poliakoff, but this is crazy scheduling.

I think the BSI just assume everyone timeshifts everything now...
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the devil did O'Grady's Dogs win an ITV TV Award for then?

Best show on ITV featuring Paul O'Grady and dogs?

Please tell me it wasn't Best Documentary Series of 2012!

Creek floundered on its last outing at Easter.

I'd hold it back for Boxing Day.

Wasn't it rather idiotically on at the same time as the last A Touch Of Frost which is why it got low ratings rather than being at easter.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,960
    Forum Member
    5.58m (22.5%) for the NTA's, peaking with 6.09m (23.8%) at 21:00 exc +1. Was beaten by Africa from 9pm with 5.81m (22.4%).

317k (2%) for the new series of 'Sadie J' on CBBC.

The Chase went back to normal with 3.57m (22.2%) exc +1, with Pointless scoring 3.86m (22.9%). Tipping Point had 1.90m (16%) exc +1.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    CBB: 2.06m (8.5%)

NTA's clearly had an effect IMO as the first hour rated quite low for this series' standards, before returning to normal levels from 21:55 onwards.

Bit On The Side did well with 859k (6.2%).
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    @TVRatingsUK
    Last night's top rated: Corrie 8.58m; BBC Regional News 6.67m; Africa 5.81m; #NTAs 5.58m; BBC News (6pm) 5.25m; BBC News (10pm) 4.88m

The #NationalTelevisionAwards averaged 5.58m (22.5%) on ITV, down on last year's 6.2m.

Pointless pulled in one of it's biggest audiences to date yesterday - 3.86m, ahead of The Chase's 3.57m

The Great Comic Relief Bake Off pulled in another big rating yesterday - 3.94m on BBC2/HD between 8 and 9pm

One Born Every Minute last night averaged 1.77m, down on last week's 2.16m. Gok's Style Secrets could only manage 0.78m (last week 1.34m).

@Sam_Hodges
    Averaging 5.8m and peaking at 6.1m, #Africa was the highest rating programme at 9pm last nigh

Rating stat of the day: 627k for The Joy of (Train) Sets at 9pm on #BBC4 last night.
    Forum Member
    Bake-Off did well with 3.66m (14.7%). Corrie scored 8.59m (36.9%).
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    CBB: 2.06m (8.5%)

NTA's clearly had an effect IMO as the first hour rated quite low for this series' standards, before returning to normal levels from 21:55 onwards.

Bit On The Side did well with 859k (6.2%).

At least it stayed above 2 million this year, if I remember rightly, CBB9 didn't.
    Forum Member
    They really should replace Tracy Beaker on CBBC at 5pm every day (bar Friday because of The Dumping Ground) with a 15-minute Newsround bulletin.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    At least it stayed above 2 million this year, if I remember rightly, CBB9 didn't.
    3rd Saturday spoiled that.

EDIT: Oh, against the NTA's you meant. True.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    779k for Gok's Style Secrets on C4 last night :eek:
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    They really should replace Tracy Beaker on CBBC at 5pm every day (bar Friday because of The Dumping Ground) with a 15-minute Newsround bulletin.

Why? the little kiddies love Tracy Beaker.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    NTA's - ITV
    and ITV HD

Africa

what was so interesting at 9pm on NTA's?
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Even with a Coro St. Lead in, NTAs rated worse than last year. And once again BBC1 wins 9oclock.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    what was so interesting at 9pm on NTA's?

About 2.75 million floating viewers left BBC Two / HD after Bake Off finished at 9pm.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picture is cloudy until +1 gets involved.
This discussion has been closed.