phantom pregnancy in a dog-any experiences?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
Forum Member
hi all

i would be grateful for any experiences owners have had with phantom pregnancy in dogs

i have a 7 year old lucher (unspayed) and i highly suspect she is having a phantom, i have read up on-line about this and i think she does have the symptoms of it, seems to suggest not alot you can do other than let it pass
any other owners got any advice on this subject?

my girl is a 7 year old rescue lurcher, she's down in herself, carrying around a soft toy, eating and drinking as normal, likes burying herself (not toy) 90% of the time walks around the house and garden mostly carrying her toy and crying/whimpering, also producing milk

i am an experienced dog owner but never had a dog with a phantom pregnancy at all
hoping for some kind answers as "our girl is our world"

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog had frequent Phantom pregnancies. Like your dog she was unspayed. Once they get one though they are prone to have more. The symptons you describe are very much the same. Just wait it out and when she is clear I would suggest you get her spayed.
    (My dog had medical issues preventing her getting spayed)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    thank you for the reply, i have read you need to wait 6 weeks after the phantom pregnancy to be ok to be spayed, have you ever heard of this?
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackie2412 wrote: »
    thank you for the reply, i have read you need to wait 6 weeks after the phantom pregnancy to be ok to be spayed, have you ever heard of this?

Not me. But it does make sense I guess. Need to make sure the dog is completely off the Phantom pregnancy. Spaying can change the biological balance of a dog and spaying when they are still in heat/phantom could lead to health issues. Probably just a precautionary time limit.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My older dog had phantoms after every season before she was spayed, would produce milk, be a bit stroppy with the other dogs and generally a bit miserable.

We used Galastop for the most severe one as she was booked in to be spayed, it's pretty harsh stuff and tend to cause vomiting though.

I'd have a chat with you vet if you are worried, there are herbal remedies that are more gentle :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    thank you for reply, i am going to chat with vet on tuesday and check out something herbal, prefer a gentle route!
  • beaglemumbeaglemum Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Yes, one of my beagles has had quite a few phantoms, she was showing symptoms e.g discharge from nipples the day she was going to be speyed, therefore the vet couldnt do it. She had to wait until she'd completed a course of Galastop. She was speyed about 2 months after.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Aye, my collie had a phantom. The vet recommended waiting till her hormones settled down before spaying - that was about 20 years ago mind you.

Congrats on your new pointy dog! My last dog was a rescue lurcher and totally converted me to sighthounds. I wouldn't have anything else now. My latest addition is a whippet. We need pics!