Options

Ben's Zoo

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
Forum Member
Did anyone watch this?

I had to keep switching over because I kept getting upset when the keepers got upset. :rolleyes: I'm such a wuss.

Also flicked over at totally the wrong moment to hear the tiger get shot. I had no idea that's how they're dispatched at animal parks, I thought they just gave them a big cat size euthenasia injection particlarly as they're always banging on on Animal Park about how the old animals might not survive the anaesthetic when they have an operation.

Poor Ben looked pretty shocked when he heard it too.

Comments

• Options
    LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    Is this the programme which is on on Saturdays with Ben Fogle?? I saw it a couple of weeks ago when the keepers were crying cos they decided to send the elephants away. :( I keep forgetting its on.
  • Options
    DiegoJusticiaDiegoJusticia Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope Lila, it's different :)

I also watched and it was OK. Will probably be watching next week also.
    I had no idea that's how they're dispatched at animal parks, I thought they just gave them a big cat size euthenasia injection particlarly as they're always banging on on Animal Park about how the old animals might not survive the anaesthetic when they have an operation.

I would suspect an issue of cost; the amount of pentobarbitone potentially required compared to the cost of a bullet, and also if done correctly, euthanasia by gun can be quick and painless. Also, will be without the concern of having prepared correct dosages based on weight guess-timations and ultimately if it's going to work efficiently and effectively without the animal jumping around if not dosed correctly, prolonging the stress.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes, I watched this.

I am so glad they got their loan as it was getting a bit desperate moneywise.

What a great staff he inherited - they all seem as if they'd work for the love of the animals alone, never mind wages.

Good luck to them all and the animals.

I hope things pick up for them all on next weeks show.

Edit - something I thought of during the doping scenes, where they are always wary of the animals (big cats especially), coming round unexpectedly - is there no restaining device (something that fits on the legs, maybe) they can use to disable the animal whilst it is being checked up? Or even better, a large muzzle? After all, someone could get killed if it all went wrong.
  • Options
    DiegoJusticiaDiegoJusticia Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit - something I thought of during the doping scenes, where they are always wary of the animals (big cats especially), coming round unexpectedly - is there no restaining device (something that fits on the legs, maybe) they can use to disable the animal whilst it is being checked up? Or even better, a large muzzle? After all, someone could get killed if it all went wrong.

I think that it's a toss-up between safety, being able to manouvere the patient easily and ensuring that there is little restraint of breathing, etc.

Especially with a muzzle, it can affect the breathing of the anaesthetised animal and also prevent effective monitoring of the respiration rate, etc., thus increasing the risk during surgery.

Talking from veterinary experience however, not ever been in such close contact with a tiger or leopard!!! :D
  • Options
    CyberdameCyberdame Posts: 391
    Forum Member

I missed the programme last night, but maybe I'm missing something here, but how would you get a muzzle on a fully conscious tiger, for instance and then restrain its limbs? And if you did succeed, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to take the muzzle off a fairly peed off tiger!:eek:

Must set up my Toppy to record it next week.

Caz
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this repeated? I missed it and that very rarely happens. It sounds to me like Jimmy's Farm but with a zoo! Any repeats would be great. I've checked all the usual places but if you know something I don't please let me know/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cyberdame wrote: »
    I missed the programme last night, but maybe I'm missing something here, but how would you get a muzzle on a fully conscious tiger, for instance and then restrain its limbs? And if you did succeed, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to take the muzzle off a fairly peed off tiger!:eek:

Must set up my Toppy to record it next week.

Caz

I certainly did not suggest muzzling a conscious big cat (where did you get that idea from in my post?).

I merely meant that once the animal is doped that maybe a loose muzzle can be put on it in case it suddenly came round, as the staff mentioned several times that that can happen.

As pointed out, a muzzle would restrict breathing.

But I still think there must be something that can be used. After all, it's not a little tabby cat that's lying there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another one added to my 'ignore' list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would suspect an issue of cost;
    I wondered if it was due to cost too.
    the amount of pentobarbitone
    Ah, that's what it's called. :)
    potentially required compared to the cost of a bullet, and also if done correctly, euthanasia by gun can be quick and painless. Also, will be without the concern of having prepared correct dosages based on weight guess-timations and ultimately if it's going to work efficiently and effectively without the animal jumping around if not dosed correctly, prolonging the stress.
    Yes, that all makes sense. I think it was just the sound of the shot that shook me a bit. I thought it was a bit like taking your cat to the vet and seeing him produce a handgun. :eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staris wrote: »
    Is this repeated? I missed it and that very rarely happens. It sounds to me like Jimmy's Farm but with a zoo! Any repeats would be great. I've checked all the usual places but if you know something I don't please let me know/
    It doesn't look like it is repeated according to Digiguide. :(
    But I still think there must be something that can be used. After all, it's not a little tabby cat that's lying there!

Indeed, and little tabby cats can be bad enough. Or in my case a little black cat with a definite psychotic streak. :D
  • Options
    CyberdameCyberdame Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I certainly did not suggest muzzling a conscious big cat (where did you get that idea from in my post?).

I merely meant that once the animal is doped that maybe a loose muzzle can be put on it in case it suddenly came round, as the staff mentioned several times that that can happen.

As pointed out, a muzzle would restrict breathing.

Sorry, thought you were putting it forward as an alternative to sedating, the animal. After re-reading your post I can see what you meant. My apologies.

Caz
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this last night (only watched it to escape the football!) and will certainly be tuning in next week.

Ben seemed amazingly brave (or mad!) taking on such a project but he has some really devoted staff working with him.

The bit where the tiger had to be put down was so very sad though, but probably a good introductions to the harsh realities he's going to have to face.

Really looking forward to next week's installment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cyberdame wrote: »
    Sorry, thought you were putting it forward as an alternative to sedating, the animal. After re-reading your post I can see what you meant. My apologies.

Caz

No problem!