Options

Olly sold 130K this week!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
Bringing him to 450K in four weeks. :eek:

That's actually amazing. He's definately doing a JLS, but will probably suffer a slump with his second era (as most artists do :().

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good for him, and i do like the album :) but the more he sells i think the worse it gets for Joe, will he make it to 2011 with a record deal still?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    the more he sells i think the worse it gets for Joe

It's truly amazing how bad Joe has done in terms of sales. I think even Leon beat him?

Matt getting the Christmas number one this year despite people trying to lauch a campaign with Surfin' Bird, when Joe lost out to a successful campaign last year has also proved that there is a problem with Joe specifically and not just people being anti-XF or Syco's handling of him, imho.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Joe is, artistically, dead in the water unfortunately. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow :eek: Does anyone who knows about these things want to make an educated guess at what his final sales figures might end up being?
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is doing amazingly
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    It's truly amazing how bad Joe has done in terms of sales. I think even Leon beat him?

Matt getting the Christmas number one this year despite people trying to lauch a campaign with Surfin' Bird, when Joe lost out to a successful campaign last year has also proved that there is a problem with Joe specifically and not just people being anti-XF or Syco's handling of him, imho.

I disagree: Had this year's campaign single sold as much as RATM did, Matt would have lost xmas number 1 too.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roamed wrote: »
    Wow :eek: Does anyone who knows about these things want to make an educated guess at what his final sales figures might end up being?

He'll definitely go triple platinum. 900k+. Very good chance of well over a million copies being sold by this time next year.

Can't believe it. He has some catchy enough unoriginal tunes I suppose.
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that is a bit too harsh on Joe, his sales weren't bad overal, it's just Cowell & Syco were a little complacent....but RATM was a serious challenge Surfin Bord was never, didn't really get the same level of support.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The campaign to challange the no one last year was a stronger effort and arguably more important to win as it established that the Xfactor winner didn't have to have the no 1 slot.

Olly seems to have been given material that suited him and, perhaps more important, stuff that was in line with what people were voting for.

I feel bad for Joe and hope that he has some other irons in the fire. Simon is just not interested in him IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    I disagree: Had this year's campaign single sold as much as RATM did, Matt would have lost xmas number 1 too.

But this year didn't, because people were more interested in Matt than a daft campaign.

Joe didn't have anything interesting about him whatsoever so RATM beat him easily.

I think Matt's success proves that people still like the XF and XF winners...but the public just did not take to poor Joe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    He'll definitely go triple platinum. 900k+. Very good chance of well over a million copies being sold by this time next year.

Can't believe it. He has some catchy enough unoriginal tunes I suppose.

I doubt it'll get to 900K. Sales will be strong next week due to iTunes gift cards/sales/Xmas spending money, probably 60K minimum. The third single (ballad) released around February will probably put the album back into the top ten for a few weeks, and if there's a fourth single that'll also give the album a boost.

I'm going to say around 700K. However it's impossible to guess. It depends on how it does after the XF and Xmas sales rush is out the way. It'll definately outsell Leon, Joe, Shayne's (latest album) and Steve's album combined. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this year didn't, because people were more interested in Matt than a daft campaign.

Joe didn't have anything interesting about him whatsoever so RATM beat him easily.

I think Matt's success proves that people still like the XF and XF winners...but the public just did not take to poor Joe.

I think it was more the song than Joe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not true at all, it wasn't about Joe at that point.

If Matt had won last year, released When we Collide and sold the same amount he sold to get Xmas number one this year he wouldn't have made number one either.

Joe's current problem has absolutely nothing to do with the RATM campaign.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member

Um... If that was the case, Matt would have sold a lot more than Joe... which he hasn't... so... no. I don't think you understand how music sales work.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It had nothing to do with Joe not being interesting or Matt being special. It had everything to do with the fact that RATM said they'd play a free gig if the song got to number one. Neither Joe nor Matt could compete with that.
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member

Not really...there were more campaigns running this year which resulted in people being split. Last year the RATM campaign got lots of press attention and people also have proven a point already that they can easily stop the Xfactor winner from getting the #1 spot.

Matt was lucky that folks weren't as organised this year and didn't get behind one campaign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RATM said they'd play a free gig if the song got to number one.

Wow. Then, in my opinion, that made it not a remotely fair contest.

I wonder if they'd have done even half as well without a carrot to dangle in front of buyers noses?
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albums of the Year chart with estimated sales:

From Buzzjack forum:

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122966

JLS are no 17, with sales of 495, 600 (five weeks)

Olly is no 20, with sales of 446,300 (four weeks)

They are both doing incredibly well:)
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Joe needs advertising... I never saw one advert for Joe, Olly Murs has had loads, i think Joe has potential but things dont come without advertising....
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thought Olly was awful last year? Every single week he was out of tune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought Olly was awful last year? Every single week he was out of tune.

Oh I think there were a lot of you. Olly was in my top three last year but I will accept that there were a couple of turkey's in terms of his vocals. I don't accept that it was "every week" and I still you tube his "T&S" :D
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It had nothing to do with Joe not being interesting or Matt being special. It had everything to do with the fact that RATM said they'd play a free gig if the song got to number one. Neither Joe nor Matt could compete with that.

RATM was already selling by the bucket load before the band offered to do a free gig.
    Add to that the fact the single sold hundreds of thousands of copies the capacity for the gig was only about 50k.
    Lastly what Joe couldn't compete with was the fact that he had an absolutely shite cover song compared to an awesome original song despite the fact the song was originally released 17yrs ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very glad he's doing well, he's a great artist and the album is amazing especially Thinking Of Me, Please Don't Let Me Go, Busy, Accidental and I Blame Hollywood!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »
    Not really...there were more campaigns running this year which resulted in people being split. Last year the RATM campaign got lots of press attention and people also have proven a point already that they can easily stop the Xfactor winner from getting the #1 spot.

Matt was lucky that folks weren't as organised this year and didn't get behind one campaign.

I don't think it was a case of organisation. IIRC the Bird song only managed about 70k to Matt's 400k and change, none of the other 'protest' even came close to that. So even if all the supporters of the various campaigns had bandied together they probably still wouldn't have mustered a decent counter.

I said it when people were talking about Wagner being an anti-Cowell/XFactor vote and I think it bears up here. RATM worked, it achieved what it set out to do and I think for a lot of people that satiated their desire to get behind this sort of thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Awww now i wanna listen to Olly Murs album AGAIN :)