Options

Bouncers

Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
Forum Member
✭✭
So I turned 18, and celebrated in Kingston on Monday (student night), wanting me, my sister and all mine and her mates to get into Oceana.

So, my 3 friends were turned away, because they didn't have a college ID, but they DID have normal ID. Me and my other friends asked why, the bouncer said "Don't know" my sister then replied "There must be a reason why you didn't let them in?" the bouncer replied "We just didn't"... me, my sis and my other friends got in WITHOUT the college student ID and with our normal IDs.

Now, why did they let some of us with normal IDs in, and not others?

Why are bouncers like that? My friends didn't create ANY trouble, but they were declined from the bouncers on entry for no reason.

Comments

• Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The management reserves the right to refuse admission.

Maybe they didn't like the look of them.
  • Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were your friends particularly ugly?
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just their way. Random arseyness and little-big-man syndrome is a pre-requisite of the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    The management reserves the right to refuse admission.

Maybe they didn't like the look of them.

A bit harsh. They were all boys and one was from Iran, one was Portuguese and the other was Welsh.... ooo, and then in comes a group of pretty girls who got in without getting ID.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Why are bouncers like that? My friends didn't create ANY trouble, but they were declined from the bouncers on entry for no reason.

They don't have to give a reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit harsh. They were all boys and one was from Iran, one was Portuguese and the other was Welsh.... ooo, and then in comes a group of pretty girls who got in without getting ID.

Welsh?

Well that's it then. Say no more.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trick is to get your SIA licence, then you can take whoever you want into the club. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stumblebum wrote: »
    They don't have to give a reason.

So you could call it racism, discrimination, sexism, ageism and based on looks? Woah, that's nice.... its completely unfair, so I lost out a night out with three of my friends, just because the bouncers "decided they wont want them in", for no reason...

"Why?"
    "Hmm, we just didn't"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    The short answer is because most bouncers are complete and utter tools.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So, my 3 friends were turned away, because they didn't have a college ID, but they DID have normal ID.

thats strange, its usually the other way around from what i experienced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    thats strange, its usually the other way around from what i experienced.

I know, right? It was my first night out. But I was confused. It was student night, so you apparently needed student ID, but some people didn't, some people did.

They could at least make it consistent. You can't let 50% of people in for one thing and not the other half.
  • Options
    ricky77ricky77 Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In my experience, bouncers will randomly turn away guys to keep the male:female ratio in the club roughly 50:50.

As others say, most bouncers are muppets and like to exercise that little power that they think they have, especially if it's a student night!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I know, right? It was my first night out. But I was confused. It was student night, so you apparently needed student ID, but some people didn't, some people did.

They could at least make it consistent. You can't let 50% of people in for one thing and not the other half.

They can do exactly what they want to and don't have to give you, or anyone else, a reason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They can do whatever they like, because they can. If they say you aren't coming in, you aren't coming in. There is no formula with them, they don't work to any algorithm of entry or refusal. It's just random usually. If your face doesn't fit on any particular night. That's it. They're an occupational hazard.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bouncers will be bouncers, they are a law unto themselves.

I remember 20 yrs ago going clubbing with a bunch of friends, half were allowed in and half were told to bog off.

We all left and went home.
  • Options
    tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    op looking for logic from bouncers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woah, so going by this thread, I guess we have come to the conclusion that bouncers are *******... sounds like that to me.

Guess I'm going to have to learn that now.

I guess they have no other job they are qualified for... so they have to resort to what they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah, so going by this thread, I guess we have come to the conclusion that bouncers are *******... sounds like that to me.

Some are alright, a lot are stedded up thickos who enjoy looking important with the only responsibility and authority that they will ever wield. That and the opportunity to chew gum, look over your head whilst you talk to them and put patrons into chokeholds before tossing them out of the fire door.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    put patrons into chokeholds before tossing them out of the fire door.

Had that before and i didnt even offer resistance or mouth off lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some are alright, a lot are stedded up thickos who enjoy looking important with the only responsibility and authority that they will ever wield. That and the opportunity to chew gum, look over your head whilst you talk to them and put patrons into chokeholds before tossing them out of the fire door.

The bouncer to the pub opposite the main club was very friendly and even wished me a happy birthday and enjoy it... but the ones across the street were dicks...

surely putting people in choke holds for doing nothing... can they get done in for that by the police? Because you hear stories about bouncers beating punters to a pulp and even not letting that soldier in to a pub because he was disabled (had no legs), and that did not fit in with the pub's restrictions... WTF :/
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can do whatever they like, because they can. If they say you aren't coming in, you aren't coming in. There is no formula with them, they don't work to any algorithm of entry or refusal. It's just random usually. If your face doesn't fit on any particular night. That's it. They're an occupational hazard.

i wonder what if someone is never allowed in to a club(i know unlikely) what are they to do? wouldnt that infringe on something?
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bouncers normally like the girls but not so much the boys, well that was my experience. I don't know what's it's like nowadays.
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bouncers will usually back each other up with regard to assault. Also, the police are more likely to believe them than you, especially if you are drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They tried tp throw me down the back stairs in a club one night. Long flight of concrete stairs as well it was. Luckily I was strong enough to hang on to one of them until another bouncer that I knew came out and got them off me.

Bastards could have killed me.
  • Options
    SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They murdered an 18 year old boy in Paisley late on Christmas night.

Did I say "murdered"? Sorry, I meant they refused him entry... in that professional way bouncers have.

Did I say "bouncers"? Sorry I meant "highly trained door stewards"...