Dancing Cheek to Cheek

lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Len struggled with the Minuet in Dancing Cheek to Cheek.

Interesting to see that there was "Strictly Come Dancing Effect" in Pepys' day with husbands worrying about their wives getting to know their Dancemaster a bit too well!

Comments

• Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Interesting to see that there was "Strictly Come Dancing Effect" in Pepys' day with husbands worrying about their wives getting to know their Dancemaster a bit too well!

I think this should have been in spoiler tags as I haven't had chance to watch it yet (sky +d).:D
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is being repeated at 3am on BBC4 if anyone else missed it.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Given Pepys reputation, I think his wife had more reason to be worried.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Starting to become a dancing mannequin rather than a baroque princess"

Sounded like a comment on Judy ;-)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    It is being repeated at 3am on BBC4 if anyone else missed it.

A more viewer friendly repeat! The 02:45h repeat is signed as well .

The reviewer in the Daily Mail is moaning that it was some time before we saw any dance, he seems to have overlooked that it was about history.

I also liked the story of the couple using the maypole but forgetting it had a bell on top! :):):)
    HISTORY DOCUMENTARY: Dancing Cheek to Cheek: An Intimate History of Dance
    On: BBC 4 (Freeview)
    Date: Thursday 20th November 2014 (starting in 2 days)
    Time: 22:30 to 23:30 (1 hour long)

The Devil's Work? Episode 1.
    Series in which Len Goodman and Lucy Worsley uncover the British love affair with dancing as they explore the nation's favourite dances from the 17th to the 20th centuries and discover what they reveal about our social history. They look at how dancing went from being frowned upon as dangerous and debauched in the 17th century to being celebrated as an essential social skill in the 18th century, joining a group of performing arts students on Ickwell village green to learn the cushion dance, a 17th-century favourite with a raunchy reputation. Len uncovers the long history of English country dancing at Middle Temple Hall and Lucy reveals how King Louis XIV set the fashions followed on this side of the channel. Len and Lucy learn the difficult minuet for a grand finale at their own Georgian ball. The pair dress to dance in full period costume as Lucy discovers that her 18th-century dress is engineered to enforce the perfect posture and Len masters the art of dancing in heels and a wig.
    (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • missiemoomissiemoo Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    Given Pepys reputation, I think his wife had more reason to be worried.

Yes, double standards at their worst:D Especially when you consider that he passed on an infection to his wife through his antics:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Lucy Worsley is seriously hot bright posh totty Too late to get her on SCD as she has had Minuet classes.
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I did laugh when he did the dance where he had to skip, he looked so funny.
  • missiemoomissiemoo Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Lucy Worsley is seriously hot bright posh totty Too late to get her on SCD as she has had Minuet classes.

I think I read somewhere that her husband to be would not let her take part - some sort of unofficial nuptual agreement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missiemoo wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that her husband to be would not let her take part - some sort of unofficial nuptual agreement.

I heard that applied to someone.

Maybe I should offer her private salsa and tango lessons?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missiemoo wrote: »

She also said that her husband had said she was on TV enough already but I think it was rather tongue in cheek. She has a very good sense of humour, from seeing her previous series and also her Tweets. But presumably he would have checked she had her drawers on, like Pepys.
  • abigailsmumabigailsmum Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh lord, I can see the shouts of 'Dirty Ringah' on the forum already if she ever did take part :D:D:D
  • RosegrowerRosegrower Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else like the programme? I loved it, but then Lucy can do no wrong for me.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rosegrower wrote: »
    Did anyone else like the programme? I loved it, but then Lucy can do no wrong for me.

I like Lucy too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I like Lucy too.

OTOH I Love Lucy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QEh5vZj0rs
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This looks like a different Lucy though lol