Alien: Isolation

Comments

• The_ChiefThe_Chief Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    ah the review system who to believe? on the one hand the Guardian and DS giving decent reviews and on the other hand IGN and Gamespot giving iffy ones. Is it that the gaming press are very jaded now with 'Next Gen' games not delivering and if they are not blown away right from the get go a game will only get an so so review. Where as other media are taking the game on it's face value and seeing things highlighted like the unpredicatable AI as a positive rather than a negative.Anyway I've preordered it and can't wait to play it.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    but there are long games that and then games which just go on and on with no purpose just for the sake of creating the game longer. It seems the issue IGN has is that Isolation does the latter.

Sorry, typed on phone and autocorrect obv killed it :D

I meant to say:

but there are long games that add to the game and then games which just go on and on with no purpose just for the sake of creating the game longer. It seems the issue IGN has is that Isolation does the latter.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be getting decent reviews. Personally though I'd rather find out for myself if its good or bad. From What I've seen, it looks pretty good.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    I SOOOOOO wish it was out today its pissing outside and dark and dreary out perfect mood for this game :D
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    I SOOOOOO wish it was out today its pissing outside and dark and dreary out perfect mood for this game :D

christmas for me...its for my son
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    The thing with reviews is that its just the opinion of the particular person reviewing the game & as we often see with discussions on here different people have different opinions.

As I said a few days back, I always read/watch reviews to get opinions but never base my buying decisions on reviews alone. I'll watch other bits of gameplay, Read comments from other gamers on places like this & can usually decide based on all that if I'll like a game enough to bother buying it or not.

In terms of Alien Isolation, I've read/watched a lot of the reviews, Watched a fair bit of gameplay footage & seen opinions from gamers who have played it. As the reviews point out its got its flaws but I've a feeling its a game i'm going to like so i'm going to buy it at some point regardless.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Sorry, typed on phone and autocorrect obv killed it :D

I meant to say:

but there are long games that add to the game and then games which just go on and on with no purpose just for the sake of creating the game longer. It seems the issue IGN has is that Isolation does the latter.

That is my fear with the game, while it may look the part and feel right, I do get a sense of doing a lot of repeating things and getting killed a lot. While the first few hours may be fun I can see this game been frustrating and eventually boring.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually trust IGN reviews, but that is an odd one, I must say.

The reviewer seems to have pin-pointed exactly the same things as the positive reviews have, but sees them in a more negative light. The admission that they played the game the first time on Hard difficulty, and subsequent complaining about being killed very often, doesn't seem to add up.

At this point I'm leaning more towards getting the game, but probably nearer Christmas. Even if it is flawed, I think it's important that we, as gamers, support those titles that dare to do something different - and, by all accounts, Creative Assemblies have succeeded at creating a genuinely frightening and unpredictable AI. That is to be applauded and supported, regardless of what other flaws the title may have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

The reviewer seems to have pin-pointed exactly the same things as the positive reviews have, but sees them in a more negative light. The admission that they played the game the first time on Hard difficulty, and subsequent complaining about being killed very often, doesn't seem to add up.

At this point I'm leaning more towards getting the game, but probably nearer Christmas. Even if it is flawed, I think it's important that we, as gamers, support those titles that dare to do something different - and, by all accounts, Creative Assemblies have succeeded at creating a genuinely frightening and unpredictable AI. That is to be applauded and supported, regardless of what other flaws the title may have.

amen to that, my Nostromo Edition will be here Tuesday.......
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

"F@@kin A"
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS3 version load times are quite noticeable and the cutscenes are so awfully juddery I'm wondering if my console is the problem because I can scarcely believe any company would put out a commercial product of such a poor technical quality. Shame because the game itself runs fine and does very well to build up an authentic, appropriate atmosphere...at least until the first human unfriendlies show up anyway. Probably a couple hours in and there's not even been a proper sighting of the Alien yet.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    That is my fear with the game, while it may look the part and feel right, I do get a sense of doing a lot of repeating things and getting killed a lot. While the first few hours may be fun I can see this game been frustrating and eventually boring.

Yes, and this is why I'm leaning to believing IGN :blush: From the 30 minute mark, you gain no new skills and the game mechanics don't change. So essentially, it's a 20 hour story where you continually do the same thing over and over and over. Regardless of how atmospheric the game is, I think I'd get bored pretty fast.

I'll pick it up on the Steam sale later.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the droid guys look the same, are they all called Ash, too :p

I think I will give this game a miss, doesn't sound exciting at all. I like the stealth idea but the whole premise of the game sounds boring, one alien and cyborgs that look like crash test dummies and combat that is weighed against you to the point that if your seen, you die, end of.

That's how I'm reading this game. Nah its not for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of being stalkied by the Alien.. As opposed to just shooting everything in sight..

Alien isolation....in space no one can hear you scream....

At least it's different...
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Gamespot and IGN weren't paid enough by the publishers to give a good review :p
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Maybe Gamespot and IGN weren't paid enough by the publishers to give a good review :p

#sadbuttrue 😉
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will have to go on the christmas list, I've already bought my new(ish) IP for this time of year in Shadow of Mordor, that couple with the fact loads of sequels that I want are almost upon us means that I just won't have money for this

I'm looking forward to people's thoughts are here though, find out what's good and bad about it
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of being stalkied by the Alien.. As opposed to just shooting everything in sight..

Alien isolation....in space no one can hear you scream....

At least it's different...

I'm really looking forward to playing it!! /excited :blush:

(Just need to get through DR3! ... It's difficult but using my iPad as a 2nd screen helps) :)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think i'll wait till this hits sale on Steam, as seems all you do is wander about until the Alein appears, then you just hide from it till it goes, before continuing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Think i'll wait till this hits sale on Steam, as seems all you do is wander about until the Alein appears, then you just hide from it till it goes, before continuing.

like the film i suppose, and you get to auto destruct the ship at the end..

;-)
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My pre-order arrived today. Feels wrong to start it on a sunny afternoon though so will play it tonight with the lights out ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    My pre-order arrived today. Feels wrong to start it on a sunny afternoon though so will play it tonight with the lights out ;-)

How come yours has arrived so early? Doesn't come out until 7th.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    A few people on twitter I follow also got it today, it some times happens when you pre order online, doesn't really happen to me though lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    A few people on twitter I follow also got it today, it some times happens when you pre order online, doesn't really happen to me though lol.

Or me apparently. Ordered mine on Amazon couple of weeks ago.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »

I pre-ordered from SimplyGames and got lucky for a change.