New Years Honours List

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad about that and some good calls there.
    Particularly pleased about Annie.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Is that everyone? Or are they staggering the announcements
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Ooooh, Richard Thompson OBE. Well done that man.

Ummm, not that I really approve of the honours list. :o
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The head of NI Civil Service got a knighthood? Not sure what he did to get that considering the shamples the public sector here is in
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleased for Annie - I think the honour recognises her charity work more than her entertainment career.

Can't understand Sheila Hancock's award - she is a very good actress and has written a book about her late husband, John Thaw, but what else?

David Suchet - love him as an actor but why the hell should we honour services to drama?

I'm a great sports fan but should Graeme McDowall be honoured simply because he sank the winning putt that won the Ryder Cup for Europe?

Of course one can always look on the bright side of life - Bruce Forsyth is denied the knighthood he craves: let's be thankful for small mercies.

No wonder I, like many others, regard the honours with such disdain.

The truly honourable often spend a lifetime working for others without either need or hope of public recognition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »

I'm a great sports fan but should Graeme McDowall be honoured simply because he sank the winning putt that won the Ryder Cup for Europe?

I would imagine being the first person from the UK to win the US Open since what, Faldo?, might have helped to.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the full lists, the usual embarrassment of stacks and stacks of civil servants given awards for simply doing their job.

It's so wrong. Doubt most of them would last a month if they had to come out of the cosiness and work in the real world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Looking at the full lists, the usual embarrassment of stacks and stacks of civil servants given awards for simply doing their job.

It's so wrong. Doubt most of them would last a month if they had to come out of the cosiness and work in the real world.

The honours are at the best when some old girl who was a school crossing patrol for 20 years and never took a day off sick gets one, but there's always near the bottom of the list and get little publicity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad Annie Lennox is receiving an OBE! Even gladder The Cash-Cowell isn't getting a Knighthood :p. Still no "Sir Bruce Forsyth" though??!
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    So glad Annie Lennox is receiving an OBE! Even gladder The Cash-Cowell isn't getting a Knighthood :p. Still no "Sir Bruce Forsyth" though??!

Good. Unless being irritating for decades makes one worthy :D
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course one can always look on the bright side of life - Bruce Forsyth is denied the knighthood he craves: let's be thankful for small mercies.

Brucie won't get one yet because!, i read recently that he got an obe/mbe/cbe?.. something like that only a few years ago and you can't receive another award until i think it's 5 years has elapsed...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers Morgan tweet
    piersmorgan Utterly ridiculous that Bruce Forsyth still hasn't been knighted. What more must he do than be a multi-talented star for SEVEN decades?
    3 minutes ago via web
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I would imagine being the first person from the UK to win the US Open since what, Faldo?, might have helped to.
    I am a sports fanatic and I thrill to the sporting prowess of those who reach the very pinnacle of their field - but why do we honour those who, by an accident of birth, are blessed with an exceptional gift - be it sport, drama, music, literature etc. Surely something more than natural talent is required before recognition in the honours list (debased though it is.) How many of those who henceforth will be entitled to add CBE, OBE,MBE etc. after their name have done anything to make a real difference to the world outside their own sphere? As for knighthoods and damehoods - they simply encapsulate the absurdity of the honours system.

Amongst my acquaintances are many whose talents will never grab the headlines but whose work and consideration for the less fortunate have made considerable impact on the lives of others. Some work to alleviate the impact of poverty, disability or mental health: others offer support to the victims of physical/mental/sexual abuse and some to the terminally ill and their families - the list is endless.

These are the unsung heroes who deserve recognition - those who look beyond their own limitations to make the world a better place for the less fortuante.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers morgan should get an honor of knight of the greasy tw5ts... I hope you aren't following his twitter feed - that can't be good for your psychological wellbeing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    Brucie won't get one yet because!, i read recently that he got an obe/mbe/cbe?.. something like that only a few years ago and you can't receive another award until i think it's 5 years has elapsed...
    An urban myth - I heard that Brucie upset one of the royals at some point. If so his chances are zilch for the forseeable future - and who knows just how long a forseeable future he's got?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a sports fanatic and I thrill to the sporting prowess of those who reach the very pinnacle of their field - but why do we honour those who, by an accident of birth, are blessed with an exceptional gift - be it sport, drama, music, literature etc. Surely something more than natural talent is required before recognition in the honours list (debased though it is.) How many of those who henceforth will be entitled to add CBE, OBE,MBE etc. after their name have done anything to make a real difference to the world outside their own sphere? As for knighthoods and damehoods - they simply encapsulate the absurdity of the honours system.

Amongst my acquaintances are many whose talents will never grab the headlines but whose work and consideration for the less fortunate have made considerable impact on the lives of others. Some work to alleviate the impact of poverty, disability or mental health: others offer support to the victims of physical/mental/sexual abuse and some to the terminally ill and their families - the list is endless.

These are the unsung heroes who deserve recognition - those who look beyond their own limitations to make the world a better place for the less fortuante.

Hmm I take your point... but remember when these awards are given to sports people or people with other talents its always "was given for services to golf/acting/football" etc... All sports figures like that influence others to take up the sport and increase investment in that area... something the tireless coach of the local school time can never do despite he may be putting in more efforts... fame and being number 1 in the sport gets you influence to promote that sport.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe that tw*t Howard F*****G Webb is getting an MBE :mad:.

Suddenly I have even more dislike for the Queen than I had before & even I didn't think that was possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pffft. How very bland

I will continue to be totally uninterested in these lists until they give Stephen Fry a knighthood. Or name him ruler of the world. I'm flexible on that.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The truly honourable often spend a lifetime working for others without either need or hope of public recognition.

Applause applause...
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'm just glad that David Beckham wasn't on the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'm just glad that David Beckham wasn't on the list.
    Unlike many of the sports 'stars' who are honoured Becks has always tried to put something back into the game that has been good to him. He's a credit not only to football but sport in general.

I say that as a Liverpool supporter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piers Morgan tweet
    piersmorgan Utterly ridiculous that Bruce Forsyth still hasn't been knighted. What more must he do than be a multi-talented star for SEVEN decades?
    3 minutes ago via web

Seven decades? How did he work that out?

Multi talented Bruce Forsyth's act is only about one minute long. He has been repeating his sixty second act again and again ever since his time on Sunday Night at the London Palladium. It almost never changes. He sings badly, dances all gangly, waits for someone to laugh at his jokes and often has to instruct people to laugh. Bog off Brucie, time to let others have a go!
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Ooooh, Richard Thompson OBE. Well done that man.

Ummm, not that I really approve of the honours list. :o
    He emigrated to the States 25 years ago, and earns his living and pays his taxes there. As great a guitarist as he is, does he deserve an honour now. And Rolf Harris overlooked for a knighthood again?

I see Trevor Horne, former Buggles member, who co-wrote Video Killed The Radio Star, and producer of 80s hit band, ABC got a CBE. But that's his job (as a record producer). Why an honour for again just doing your job, albeit in his case a very well paid one?