Options

Courteney Cox hints 'flakey' David Schwimmer is the reason a Friends movie hasn't hap

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3058459/Courteney-Cox-hints-flakey-David-Schwimmer-reason-Friends-movie-hasn-t-happened.html

Damn she is so annoying nowadays. I think its her who needs to let it go the show would be ridiculous now especially with your horrible new face in HD.

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, to be fair, they didn't specifically say "movie" in that article - just "reunion".

They should leave it alone though - it was a show of it's time, it ended well and I think a movie would spoil the memory of it.

They should get them together for some kind of reunion special - maybe some kind of big cast interview about their memories of the show, stuff like that.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article actually says that each time they try to get all six of them together to meet up a different one each time always flakes out but it may not be Schwimmer. She didn't specifically say Schwimmer was always the 'flake'. A bit harsh of the DM to twist her words for a headline.

"'We've gotten about 80 percent there, but there's always one person who flakes at the end,' Courteney explained......'I'm not going to name names, but it may not be [David] Schwimmer,' was all the actress would say."
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its either him or Matt LeBlanc she has said so herself in the past.
  • Options
    LiamOKLiamOK Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do remember her saying in the past that it was David Schwimmers 'fault' but it was in a jokey way. So who knows?
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From all the Friends gossip I've read online, he's an arse who thinks he's far better than the other five, so this rings true for me.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    From all the Friends gossip I've read online, he's an arse who thinks he's far better than the other five, so this rings true for me.

Or he just thinks it is better left in the past, Nothing bad about being happy to leave something alone. Doesn't mean he thinks he is better

Very few things come back and are as good. I hate to imagine how stupid Joey would be now, How annoying Monica would be and what the latest Ross and Rachel drama would be

Something with just the cast getting together might work but not more episodes please
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I loved Friends, I'm not sure I'd like to see new material either. I was just saying that what Courtney Cox has reportedly said about Schwimmer being the least keen to do anything like that sounds very plausible.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's the reason I wouldn't want a Friends reunion. I wouldn't want to see Monica with that plastic face. Monica was ruined as a character by the end anyway.
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Count me in as another one who found Monica incredibly annoying and unlikeable towards the end of the show. Which is such a shame because I did use to really like Monica. :( Getting together with Chandler was when she started to slowly change IMO.

In fact with the exception of Rachel (who in my view had the best character development of the 6), they all either became very boring *Cough*Chandler, why Chandler? You used to be so funny dammit! :(*Cough* or complete caricatures of their former selves. Monica and Joey were the worst effected IMHO.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does anyone want a Friends reunion? It was a perfect ending, all loose ends were tied up and they walked away while people still loved the show.

It was about a period in time when the characters went from their 20's to their 30's, grew up and changed as people. Seeing a group of characters in their 40's paying the mortgage, having early nights and juggling work with childcare really doesn't fit with the ethos
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that they became caricatures of themselves. The show was still funny but in the early seasons it was always played normal which made it funny.
    Towards the end despite the fact they were now in their late 20's the expressions and over the top hand gestures and immaturity of the characters didn't make it as good as the first few seasons which were gold.
    There is a big difference watching early seasons and the later ones with all the characters. Phoebe was always aloof so could get away with it. The girls and Ross were always my favourite characters. Joey I didn't find believable that he would be that dumb and Chandler had too many little gimmicks/phrases attached to him that I didn't find funny.
    The character of Ross they really messed up as for a while they just made his character bizarre and weird and over the top.
    I agree Rachel had the best character development of them all but from the first show she was shown as shallow and dependant on her fathers money so this was always likely to be the case as her character had room to grow in many ways.
    I agree Monica character changed when she was with Chandler I actually thought her and Richard were the better couple.

I totally agree though it should be left as it was and people should accept the premise was six friends in their twenties and that's been served.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Why does anyone want a Friends reunion? It was a perfect ending, all loose ends were tied up and they walked away while people still loved the show.

It was about a period in time when the characters went from their 20's to their 30's, grew up and changed as people. Seeing a group of characters in their 40's paying the mortgage, having early nights and juggling work with childcare really doesn't fit with the ethos
    This.
    Leave them in the past. Reunions are always a disappointment. Leave us with happy memories.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    To be fair I don't think any of them want to do a movie or new episodes - I recall both Lisa Kudrow and Jennifer Aniston saying this recently.

From what I've read they have trouble getting together for a personal reunion between themselves, and David Schwimmer is the flakiest. There is gossip that he doesn't get along with the rest of them.

I have a feeling this may also have come about for the Entertainment Weekly reunion specials - the Friends cast are top of their wishlist, I believe. I think it will happen eventually, they might do a TV interview too or something, but actually I think most of them are smart enough to leave portraying the actual characters in the past.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people were talking about a movie happening approximately 5 minutes after the final episode aired!

It's been ten years - a movie would be horrendous. The whole point of Friends was that they were young adults finding their way in life. With the exception of Joey (hence the spin off), they all did this. To have a movie, 10 years later, would just be awful.

The actors must be sick and tired of being asked about it in almost every bloody interview.
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should do a horror film in which they play their Friends characters who all get killed because of a stalker with a set of sharp knives. They then come back as zombies to hunt the stalker down and kill him with his own knives. I would call this film Fiends!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like Courtney Cox has had a facelift....or more, in the images in the link. Why do these once beautiful women always want more?.....if she has.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're all set for life - or several lifetimes - with the money they've made from Friends; surely a reunion film would simply be a disastrous vanity project?

They've all had success post show; Kudrow in particular has done some awesome shows; although more niche than mass market.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy if they just left it for ages and then did a reunion special when they are all in their 60s. That would be ace.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Its either him or Matt LeBlanc she has said so herself in the past.

Nah. Probably Matthew Perry instead of LeBlanc. He's always off doing some show that only lasts one or two seasons and probably isn't available much.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    What may work is the cast working together on something new that would have them together say starting a business - it could show them getting together again and having fun with their new venture. Something like taking ownership of the Daily Grind might be fun!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was probably posted on here ages ago but Jimmy Kimmel did a Friends skit on his show which reunited the female cast members. Courteney's face and voice now...not very Monica!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    It was probably posted on here ages ago but Jimmy Kimmel did a Friends skit on his show which reunited the female cast members. Courteney's face and voice now...not very Monica!

Is Jennifer acting in that because she seems genuinely annoyed all the way through?
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    DalianR wrote: »
    Is Jennifer acting in that because she seems genuinely annoyed all the way through?

She is just acting so don't worry. :)

Remember quite a lot of chat shows in America are scripted, this would've been rehearsed in advance plus both Aniston and Kimmel are known to be good friends.
    I agree Monica character changed when she was with Chandler I actually thought her and Richard were the better couple.

Completely agree! I really liked the Monica/Richard coupling, thought he was a perfect match for her character. :) Shame they broke them up.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Im gonna go against the grain and say a reunion of the characters could, potentially... could be something wonderful IF written, produced and executed perfectly - however the risk of it being utter shite is so high I'd rather the show remained as it is.

Also if anyone is interested we have a little discussion over in the TV forums, started out as a nitpicking thread but any conversation re friends is welcome

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1801110
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    They should do a horror film in which they play their Friends characters who all get killed because of a stalker with a set of sharp knives. They then come back as zombies to hunt the stalker down and kill him with his own knives. I would call this film Fiends!
    cool idea bro. You put up the money, I'll put up the steak knives. Zombies don't get repeat royalties, do they?
    :kitty: