Woman subjected to 108 catcalls during 10 hour walk through NYC

Comments

• jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One cat call every 6 minutes. Not that shocking.:o
    No it isn't really, walking quite quickly through a busy city.
    DianaFire wrote: »
    You think? There have also been rape threats on YouTube.
    They're nothing to do with this 'phenomenon' of catcalling, it's just anonymous idiots being idiots.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe those guys were daygamers or whatever they're called?!?
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the one nutter, I can't see anything that would cause her to get her knickers in a twist. She's just going out looking for things to moan about. She'd probably fit in very well on this forum.
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    No it isn't really, walking quite quickly through a busy city

Is it not? How often do you expect to be cat called? How often do you feel it is acceptable? Or stalked for 5 minutes? Every Every minute? 5 hours? respectively/
    They're nothing to do with this 'phenomenon' of catcalling, it's just anonymous idiots being idiots.

Anonymous idiots being idiots... isn't that the problem? When does it become something serious in your opinion?
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Do you really think that's acceptable?

Have you read some of the comments on here?
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    [...]

Nothing to do with it? Neither one threatening at all, eh? Thank goodness for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Apart from the one nutter, I can't see anything that would cause her to get her knickers in a twist. She's just going out looking for things to moan about. She'd probably fit in very well on this forum.

Really? You'd like somebody in your ear to say "Thank god for XXX"?

What exactly is unacceptable to say to a stranger?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    A male model in just a crew neck t-shirt and jeans?

Would he feel intimidated by women catcalling him, fear of the next step being something physical if he didn't acknowledge them?

Comments from both men and women.

Being scared is an individual thing, both men and women get scared. Some men and women rarely get scared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Maybe those guys were daygamers or whatever they're called?!?

I believe the correct term is 'day walking'.

Ain't that right Jason?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have called all of those situations 'verbal street harassment', a couple of them seemed quite good natured. However if I had to experience that on a daily basis it would piss me right off, and if I were a woman I'd probably feel threatened.

That said, I feel like she exacerbated some of those situations by remaining silent. Yeah, you can argue she shouldn't have to say anything, and you'd be right, but a friendly response occasionally wouldn't have gone amiss.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd have crossed the road rather than walk past some of those rows of men standing or sitting there .

I wonder whether it depends which part of NY you'd walk round ?
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comments from both men and women.

Being scared is an individual thing, both men and women get scared. Some men and women rarely get scared.
    bib - then perhaps the lesson for us all, male and female, is to consider the feelings of others and not harass people in the streets .. let them go about their daily business without fear that the man/woman they don't acknowledge who just shouted 'how you doing' and then remarks at you ignoring them or stalks you down the street isn't going to suddenly grab you and demand your attention in one way or another :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    I wouldn't have called all of those situations 'verbal street harassment', a couple of them seemed quite good natured. However if I had to experience that on a daily basis it would piss me right off, and if I were a woman I'd probably feel threatened.

That said, I feel like she exacerbated some of those situations by remaining silent. Yeah, you can argue she shouldn't have to say anything, and you'd be right, but a friendly response occasionally wouldn't have gone amiss.

And potentially encourage further interaction with somebody you don't want further interaction with?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I think I'd have crossed the road rather than walk past some of those rows of men standing or sitting there .

I imagine it happens everywhere, I see teenage girls getting catcalled every day of the week, and I live in Bath! It's not an exclusive pastime of the New Yorkers :D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I posted a few comments on YT under this video.

I started getting notifications of replies, all abusive.

When I looked at some replies on there - 'Well, at least she never got raped', 'Won't stop me talking to bitches' etc - that I removed all my comments and didn't look back, for the sake of my blood pressure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »

Well that was Manhattan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly every man who spoke to this woman was either black or hispanic, there's a comment to throw a cat amongst the pigeons.

And I thought all they did was rob people!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And potentially encourage further interaction with somebody you don't want further interaction with?
    Exactly -a response would be seen as a come-on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted a few comments on YT under this video.

I started getting notifications of replies, all abusive.

When I looked at some replies on there - 'Well, at least she never got raped', 'Won't stop me talking to bitches' etc - that I removed all my comments and didn't look back, for the sake of my blood pressure.
    I commented too, but I don't go back and read what people reply to it, that'd be foolish :D I just had my say and was done with it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's possible but I think it would depend on how you reacted.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I thought all they did was rob people!!

I thought they would be too busy eating fried chicken or looking after people's swimming pools
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with some guys? You are not entitled to our attention!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    What's wrong with some guys? You are not entitled to our attention!

Although it's more commonplace amongst men, some women are also guilty of doing the same.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt uncomfortable just reading about this. Sometimes this sort of thing is not about the way a woman is dressed, or about sex or even about men wanting the attention of an attractive woman - it's a power trip. I realized that when I went to Turkey on holiday. I was a gawky, not very attractive 15 year old dressed in cardigans and cargo pants and I could not walk down the street or go to a shopping centre with my family without getting sexual gestures and attempts at touching. When I finally snapped and shouted at a guy he and his mates doubled over laughing. They didn't want sex from me, they didn't want me to just be friendly and talk to them - they got a kick out of making me upset and uncomfortable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    That's possible but I think it would depend on how you reacted.

So in probability terms, what do you think encourages interaction. Acknowledging or not acknowledging the unwanted interaction?